Should I choose CC? (Boettcher scholarship)

<p>I should start as a sophomore because of AP credits. I wonder if they would let me take the (upper level) class on Joyce's Ulysses as a freshman. I read it a couple of years ago and have been eager to take a class since! </p>

<p>I think it would be a good idea for me to start out small, and go big if I don't like it. It would definitely be an easier transition. </p>

<p>I think I might try to do an overnight visit at both CC and CU soon and attend a class so that I can get more of a personal feeling for the schools, not just people throwing brochures at me. </p>

<p>As I mentioned before, I did spend three weeks this summer at CC, but I'm sure the atmosphere must be very different during the normal school year.</p>

<p>According to the CC website, there is a 200 level prerequisite (one of two classes) OR you have to get the consent of the professor for Joyce (EN#386). </p>

<p>Either you could take one of the soph level prerequisites early in your freshman year or you could talk to the professor. </p>

<p>As you can tell from the course catalog, not every junior level course is taught every year. This is the kind of investigation you could do on a visit to CC and from my S's experience, the person you would have to talk to in the English department would love to know that you (with that level scholarship) are interested in perhaps being an English major.</p>

<p>What is the social scene like at CC? I'm all for a little bit of partying, but it seems like it would get old after a while. </p>

<p>Also, it doesn't seem like there's much to do in Colorado Springs. Am I going to get some "small town boredom"?</p>

<p>My S is very involved in the performance arts activities available to students. I have seen the DVD of several of his performances and the student body seems to be in attendance. </p>

<p>He also has mentioned the available scheduled campus events (including authors and poets). The CC website has an Events link that you can take a look at.</p>

<p>The small town issue? I'm not from Colorado, but CS is the second largest city in Colorado (behind Denver) and is the 48th largest US city per the 2006 Census. I guess it depends on what you are used to, but CS isn't "small" by Colorado or US standards.</p>

<p>FYI--there is Denver-CS public transportation, if you "need" a larger city "fix."</p>

<p>Yeah, I'm from a rural area, and I realize Colorado Springs is pretty huge, but it just doesn't seem like there's much available culturally. They don't even have a concert venue. </p>

<p>Ahh.. Denver.</p>

<p>I went to school in a suburb of Boston, but there was so much happening on campus that my friends and I only rarely went into the city. I think this is even truer now at good LACs.</p>

<p>I can't remember if you have visited CC. I would think the minute you got there you would know if it is for you.</p>

<p>Hard to imagine giving up such a great scholarship for an out of state school.</p>

<p>Update:</p>

<p>D loved her visit to CC. Her comment after I picked her up was," Is it possible to like a place too much?" </p>

<p>Her host was great. She attended an 400 level math theory class which was over her head, but liked the informality of the class and the ease of communication btw the prof and the students. Also seemed like a very supportive place for women in mathematics and science.</p>

<p>D was concerned about the level of partying on campus, but after her visit decided while there is plenty of partying going on, there are still tons of other things to do. (But she did feel sorry for the girl down the hall from her host whose roomie 'fishbowled' the room--I think I got the term right.)</p>

<p>As far as cultural activities-- yes, CS is only medium sized town. (Same size as our town, btw.) But Denver is only an hour away via 70. Plenty close if you want to attend major concerts, the symphony, theater shows, etc. I know the Greyhound terminals is only a few blocks off campus. And many students have cars and share rides.</p>

<p>Final Note-- the valedictorian who was unhappy and transferring-- she changed her mind. She met up w/ D during her visit to tell her. The V is staying and loves CC. Turns out she was having settling-in issues mostly due to roommate problems and not loving her potential major. Both have been resolved.</p>

<p>blindkite-- I think an overnight--either official or unofficial will really help resolve some of your decisions. D has found them very helpful.</p>

<p>What does "fishbowl" mean? I'm sure it is not the same as the term we used in T-groups! Drug related?</p>

<p>Thanks.</p>

<p>
[quote]

Fishbowl </p>

<p>Verb. The act of filling a vehicle with smoke from the illegal drug Marijuana.
fishbowling is accomplished by closing all windows and doors and shutting off all air vents while smoking Marijuana inside the vehicle.

[/quote]
</p>

<p>I guess you can do it in a dorm room.</p>

<p>WayOutWestMom--Is it an "accept" by your D, or is she still thinking and visiting places?</p>

<p>Not quite an accept yet. (Although her BF at Mines sure wishes she would.)</p>

<p>She has a reach "dream school" which deferred her early action --and she is in the running for a full ride merit scholarship at a OOS high match.</p>

<p>Either one would be real hard to turn down. (Her the dream school; me the full ride.)</p>

<p>P.S. Dad you got the fishbowl correct! (I had to ask her for the definition...)</p>

<p>blindkite--</p>

<p>D said there really is alot of stuff to do at CC. More than she would have thought--even on Thursday night. And the administration has expressed a strong commitment to offering even more activities.</p>

<p>Ah. Here, called hotboxing. Even my teen had not heard of the other.</p>