Should I commute or go away to college?

So, obviously by the title, I can’t decide whether to commute or go away to college. The schools that I’d probably commute to is Manhattanville College. It’s about 15-20 minutes away and about 3/4 of freshmen live on campus. I already visited Manhattanville and my parents and I both really liked it and thought it was a good fit. But I’ve been told that if my parents can afford to send me away to college (which they can) then I should go away. The thing is I have mild-moderate OCD, which I’m on medication for, but it would still be really difficult for me to share a bathroom and dorm room. And I don’t think I’d qualify for a medical single. Also I have some social anxiety too and am a bit socially awkward. I’ve always had difficulty making friends and I’m worried that in college things won’t change. Another thing is the schools I’m looking at are: Siena College, Juniata College, Elizabethtown College, Marist College, Goucher College, Wagner College, and Salve Regina University. It seems that Juniata College and Goucher College attract more socially awkward people. I just wanted to get opinions on this. Thanks!

If finances allow, you could live on campus at Manhattanville, while having the option of living at home and commuting if necessary (e.g. if finances get worse or other reasons).

Well, first, don’t assume that you wouldn’t qualify for a medical single. Mental disorders are considered disabilities too, particularly at a certain level of disruption to your life, and some colleges might work something out for you. You’ve definitely got to ask.

This is really a personal decision. A lot of people will tell you if you have the opportunity to go away that you should, because it helps develop independence and maturity. I don’t necessarily agree with that - many young people develop those things just fine in their hometown by commuting to college or by working. In fact, that’s how most people transition to young adulthood, since the vast majority of people cannot afford to send their college-aged kids away to college. However, it might be a fun and interesting experience to go away if you can personally handle it and if you have interest in such things.

You might try a multi-pronged approach - apply to some colleges that are commuting distance away while also applying to some that would require you to live on campus and see how you feel come April. If you can commute to Manhattanville you can also commute to SUNY Purchase, which is likely to be far less expensive - so consider applying there too. You might also consider SUNY New Paltz, which is a little far away to commute (about an hour) but still close enough that you could go home on weekends if you needed a break.

Thank you for all your advice! :slight_smile:

That comment was meant for the person above :stuck_out_tongue:

Honestly I think you would be able to get a medical single as long as you provide proof from a doctor. Having OCD can make sharing a room tough so getting a single room for that sounds pretty reasonable to me. I would contact the housing department at the colleges you’re looking at and ask them if you would be able to get a medical single. They should be able to get you information on that via phone or email.

Also, I agree with applying to schools that are close and far. It’s better to be safe since you’re not 100% sure yet. However, as a college student who has been living on campus for 2 years now, I would encourage you to try living on campus your first year. I’ve found it much easier to make friends since there’s been like 100 kids down the hall and practically all of my closest friends are people I met in my residence halls. Remember that no one in college will know you (unless you have friends there from your high school), so you can be whoever and whatever you want to be. I also used to be really shy in high school, but I got tired of it and decided to become more open and outgoing in college. I still like my alone time and am shy in class, but I definitely took the opportunity to become a more confident person since no one knew what I was like before college. Keep your door open, go to RA events, join clubs, play an intramural sport, get an on campus job, etc. and it will hopefully become easier to make friends :slight_smile:

On the other hand, you can still do all those ^^^ things while being a commuter. I have a ton of friends that commute from either their parent’s home or off campus housing (like frat houses, sport houses, just living with friends, etc.) and they are some of the most involved and friendliest people I know. They do have to go a little bit out of their way to make it to classes/events on time, find parking, join clubs, etc. but it is definitely possible. Time management is key for commuters as you have to account for driving there and back. Also, you have to become good at finding hangout spots on campus in case you have a big break in between classes and don’t have a room to go back to.

Overall, I would say that you should first find out if the schools you’re thinking of will give you a medical single. If they do, perhaps living on campus would be a good idea. If you don’t like it, you can always move back home in the Spring semester. And if they don’t give you a medical single + you really don’t want to live in a double, consider commuting and staying close to home. Good luck!!!

Who told you you “should” go away? Nonsense. You SHOULD do what’s best for you and your family.

I’m guessing you’re working with a trained counselor. What does he/she think?

To get a single for medical reasons I am pretty sure that you would need a letter from a medical professional (psychologist or psychiatrist). Given that you are taking medication, you must be seeing someone, which implies that getting an appropriate letter should be easy – they do this all the time for students going off to university. As such, I think that you have a very good chance of getting a single for medical reasons. Also, once on campus you don’t need to tell other students why you got a single room other than “this is where I was assigned”.

@Jared123 You have your whole life to live away from your parents. Make the choice that makes YOU the most comfortable and most successful student. You should do whatever makes you the most happy and that is the only should that matter. Plenty of students commute and it makes no difference at all in the grand scheme of things.