Should I even bother applying?

Hi guys,

I am a prospective senior at a highly competitive college prep school in SoCal highly interested in Colorado College.
For some background, I have pretty severe ADHD and had a traumatic occurrence in my family 4-5 years ago.

Here’s my info.
Mixed Race, White Latino

GPA: 3.01 UW/3.33 W (Yeah thats the blackspot on my package)
ACT: 35 --> 33 Math/ 34 English/ 36 Science/ 36 Lit/ 16 Writing
SAT II: Taking them in June

I am taking AP Language and an Honors Math course this year, and 3 APs, AB Calc, AP Art, and AP Literature senior year

Paying for college is not an issue at all.

Please be realistic with your answers, I have received too much false optimism this year.
Also if you have any recommendations for colleges to look at please feel free.

Admission to CC is all about the essays. While many colleges give lipservice to that concept, it truly is important at CC. The two essays are always the same: 1) Why CC? and 2) Design a Block that you would love to see taught. If you can provide insightful answers to those two questions you can win a spot at CC.

Granted, your rigor and GPA are both toward the bottom of the scale. There is no way to sugar coat that. Then again, the person with the 508th ( estimating class size) highest GPA is still a member of the CC community for life. As for rigor, is there no opportunity to add to the AP total? American History, World History, Statistics and Biology are all not all that much more difficult, especially for someone with a 16 on the writing ACT. I believe the average number of AP classes in the past few admissions classes is 8.

For the record, CC has an excellent Office of Accessibility. They bend over backwards for people with ‘invisible’ disabilities such as dyslexia or ADHD.

I am no admissions expert, but if you want to investigate other similar colleges, try Bowdoin, Washington & Lee, Wesleyan, Davidson, Whitman or Carleton. None are CC and none have the Block System, but all share a lot of the same values about education and some are a bit easier to get into than CC. But getting back to the original premise, the people on campus at CC really really really wanted to be here and I have to assume they let that show in the quality of their essays. You might be able to move your GPA up a tiny bit and your rigor up a reasonable bit. However, you can still hit a home run with the essays and join us here at what we all feel is the best college in the country.

With the exception of Whitman and (maybe) Washington & Lee, all of the other examples you listed would comparable to harder to get into, statistically.

I’m not well informed on CC, so when you picked these particular LAC’s as sharing the same values, what were those exactly? I am well informed on Wesleyan, Bowdoin and Davidson and consider them very different other than size and being LAC’s.

Apply. It’s really a lot about the essays - be unique and try to stand out. You definitely have a chance