Should I make hotel reservations now?

<p>Should I make hotel reservations now for Bama Bound and move-in? Are there other important dates where hotels should be booked far in advance? </p>

<p>Son will not be doing AA, so will be moving in with the masses. How many days should we book for move-in? We will be flying in, so will need to purchase a lot of household necessities either through Bed, Bath & Beyond or a local store.</p>

<p>Thanks as always for your help!</p>

<p>For Move in? DEFINITELY. There won’t be a room or condo rental available for Move-In at some point. </p>

<p>People who wait often find that they have to stay “far away” rather than closeby.</p>

<p>There are actually 2-3 different Move Ins depending on whether your kid will be doing AA, OA, Rush, MDB and so forth. All of those dates will have booked-up hotel rooms and condo rentals if you wait too long.</p>

<p>Bama Bound may not be “as crazy” but the earlier you book, the better rate and choices you’ll have.</p>

<p>Look at posts 16, 17 and 20 for lodging info.
<a href=“http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/university-alabama/1604154-info-about-alabama-read-first.html[/url]”>http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/university-alabama/1604154-info-about-alabama-read-first.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>Son will not be doing AA, so will be moving in with the masses. How many days should we book for move-in? We will be flying in, so will need to purchase a lot of household necessities either through Bed, Bath & Beyond or a local store.</p>

<p>That depends. I would guess that 2 nights might be enough…maybe 3 at most. </p>

<p>Much will depend on your arrival time and depart time.</p>

<p>BB&B has not yet opened their store in T-town, so if you order for pick up, you’ll pick up in the B’ham area (hoover??? not sure). Then you’ll bring the stuff from B’ham after flying in.</p>

<p>During BamaBound you will also have the option of staying in the dorm, which is what we did. I figured it would give son an opportunity to meet other students and also get a feel for what his future room would be like. I thought it was silly to book a hotel room just for myself, so I stayed in the dorm too (the parents are in a different wing than the students).</p>

<p>What are the AA & OA dates for move in?</p>

<p>Good to know about the dorm option for BB. Thanks, jrcsmom!</p>

<p>Mom2collegekids, what would we ever do without you?! First day of classes is August 20th, and regular move-in is the weekend before. I think I am going to book a room for the 13th-18th, and will cancel any extra days as soon as I know exactly what the deal is. Does that sound like it should work?</p>

<p>Re: The dorm option for parents. Even if you come as a couple, you’ll get separate dorm rooms because the beds are singles in private rooms. So, you pay for each parent. It may be cheaper to stay in a hotel room (or at least more private) if you’re coming as a couple.</p>

<p>The dorm option is the 4 bedroom super suite with each adult in their own room.</p>

<p>I don’t know if they mix males and females in the same suite…probably not. </p>

<p>Anyone know how they handle couples? Do they put men in one suite and women in another? Or do they put a couple in one “side” of a Ridgecrest 4 BR suite and another couple on the other side? </p>

<p>The Ridgecrest 4 BR suites have a kitchenette and livingroom…and then one hall that leads to 2 BR and another hall that leads to 2 BR.</p>

<p>For move-in, I just booked the Microtel on Veteran’s Memorial Pkwy for $82/night for 2 Queen beds. Seems like a pretty good rate.</p>

<p>YES! YES! YES!</p>

<p>As soon as you have any inkling of needing a hotel, book it! I booked move in months ago. Forget parents weekend! They are already sold out in Tuscaloosa at most except for the few wanting $499 per night, non refundable, or the ones you really don’t want to even let your pet spend the night. As soon as the football schedule was released I tried to book a hotel room, was not picky which weekend. None. Contacted several on VRBO, booked. Tuscaloosa is in dire need of a lot more hotel rooms. </p>

<p>We stayed in a hotel for BB while D stayed in the dorm for both nights. One downside to staying in the dorm as an adult, there is no tv, no radio, nothing. Take your laptop for entertainment if you need something to do when the day is done and you just want to relax in your room. Some parents do get together and hangout in the lobby area or somewhere closeby before turning in for the night. </p>

<p>The thing to keep in mind for BB, there are camps going on all summer long on campus. All kinds of camps. Football, soccer, gymnastics, golf, cheer, etc. Every single week. Each department has some kind of camp going on every week except for the week of the 4th of July. But, that week will be parents moving their kids in for UA Early College Summer II session. Parents of a lot of the campers will also be staying in town in hotels. If you know what BB session you are going to attend, book a hotel. We stayed at the Capstone for BB and it was great being on campus, especially since we had the younger D with us doing the Sibling Orientation. All of us could walk to where we needed to be. </p>

<p>I think you can book the dorm as a couple or family. So mom and dad could be in the same suite as their D/S, just different bedrooms. </p>

<p>If your D/S wants to room with anyone (potential roommate) at BB, they need to check in together.</p>

<p>Some couples at BB are given a two-bedroom suite to themselves. I loved staying in the dorm! I had a great person to share “my” side of the suite and made a new friend. </p>

<p>TxNCM, I probably have an extra hotel room for the fall. I’ll message you next week when I have time to look through what I have reserved.</p>

<p>Westcoastmomof2, I would not plan on being to just go in and buy whatever you need for move-in. You should buy make your purchases ahead of time and ship to the school or use the pick up at store option.</p>

<p>Some couples at BB are given a two-bedroom suite to themselves.</p>

<p>Yes, that might happen. there are a very limited number of those 2 BR suites. Are you told ahead of time? Or do you find out when you show up?</p>

<p>How much is the charge (beyond BB basic cost) for EACH adult?</p>

<p>From ([Parent</a> Programs](<a href=“http://parentorientation.ua.edu/poHousing.cfm]Parent”>http://parentorientation.ua.edu/poHousing.cfm))</p>

<p>For Parent Orientation, you have your choice of staying on campus in Ridgecrest South, one of our newest residence halls, or you may choose to stay off campus.</p>

<p>If you would like to stay overnight in Ridgecrest South, there are several options for your reservation, depending on how many guests you have. To view photos of Ridgecrest South click here. </p>

<p>Parent housing options are:</p>

<p>4 bedroom (twin beds)
Parents arriving with family (3-4 people)
Assigned to a four bedroom unit
$130 per night, includes linens
Amenities include: Four private bedrooms with one twin bed in each; two bathrooms shared by occupants; spacious living room; kitchenette with refrigerator and microwave (no cook top or stove); internet service (no television or computer)</p>

<p>2 single bedrooms (twin beds)
Parents arriving as a couple only (2 people)
Assigned 2 single bedroom unit (as available) or 2 bedrooms within a 4 bedroom unit
$76 per night, includes linens
Amenities include: Two private bedrooms with one twin bed in each; one shared bathroom; spacious living room; kitchenette with refrigerator and microwave (no cook top or stove); internet service (no television or computer)</p>

<p>1 single bedroom (twin beds)
Parent coming by herself/himself
Assigned to a single bedroom in a 4 bedroom unit (other single bedrooms occupied by parents of the same gender attending by themselves)
$38 per night, includes linens
Amenities include: twin bed; two bathrooms shared by occupants; spacious living room; kitchenette with refrigerator and microwave (no cook top or stove); internet service (no television or computer)</p>

<p>^^^^Ahh…thanks!!!</p>

<p>*Forget parents weekend! *</p>

<p>Has PW been decided? If so, when is it? BTW…to avoid confusion, Bama calls it Family Weekend so if you’re searching, that’s what it’s called.</p>

<p>there are some condo rentals still available thru VRBO which may be better for families anyway.</p>

<p><a href=“Tuscaloosa, AL Vacation Rentals: house rentals & more | Vrbo”>Tuscaloosa, AL Vacation Rentals: house rentals & more | Vrbo;

<p>honestly, i would rather stay at a hotel than in a bare dorm room. if it is 76 for a dorm room for a couple, you can find a hotel room for a comparable rate.</p>

<p>^^^^</p>

<p>Right…and with a TV…lol (which some hubbies may insist upon)</p>

<p>Any idea when move-in dates would be for Honors Action?</p>

<p>Since Bid Day for sororities and regular move in is Aug 16, I would assume it is around Aug 7-9th</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Dependent on the dorm, move in would likely be Friday, 8/8 from between 1 and 5 and Saturday, 8/9 from 8 to 5.</p>

<p>FYI: If your student attends Early College at UA for the Summer II session, they are typically allowed to move from Lakeside into their Fall dorm on the last Friday of class summer classes. They only give them a few hours to move all of their stuff in, but being you are pretty much the only one moving in, it is very easy. No waiting in line, no sharing small cramped spaces with other roommates families getting everything setup, etc. </p>

<p>They move everything in and leave. Go home for a few days and come back with everything all set up.</p>