Should I put down Hispanic?

Clarification: whether you are Hispanic or not is an entirely different question from what your race is. Marking Hispanic does not mean that you do not also mark “white” if you are white.

I agree with those who say to look at the definition that is being used by the entity asking you the question, and then answer truthfully. It probably won’t make much difference either way.

Forget the moral high ground, just play the game and check Hispanic. Affirmative action is what it is, its part of the process of giving opportunity and building diversity. If all the top schools did was use some slide-rule admission bar based on scores you would have the top schools all 70%+ Asian, 10% jewish, 5% white and remainder minority. Don’t believe that, just look at Stuyvesant or Bronx Science here in NYC for what test-only would achieve.

When I applied to school almost 30 years ago I checked off ‘white’ while I was 100% ‘minority’ - the reason was I did not want to be identified as a minority because I wanted to be mainstream. I was ignorant. Nevertheless I still got into ivies and top LACs. But for getting into the reach schools you want, just keep your head down and play the game. You are authentic 1/4 URM, so go for it, no regrets. Its the system. Play it and benefit from it. There is no ‘high ground’ in this respect.

@Regulus7 I agree with you, but still doesn’t feel like I’m playing the system because I fit the definition. But can someone please chance me for these state schools? I’m out of state by the way.

Maryland, Wisconsin, penn state, Michigan chances?

Gpa: 3.45/4 but weighting is different at my school. Honors is a .33 bump and ap is a .66 bump.
Sat: 1890
13 honors, 1 ap
Ethnicity: latino