Should I stay in IB?

I am currently a junior in IB program. I’m also currently taking AP exams for all the IB tests I’m taking and many additional AP classes. In this sense, I am both an AP and IB student. Recently I have started to wonder whether the IB diploma is even useful considering I’m already going to get the credits for AP. I’m most likely going to end up at UT Austin, which I can get into by being in the top 7%. Should I stay in IB? Will it give me anything substantial on top of AP? Is it worth the effort? I haven’t taken the tests yet, though I will probably have to pay for the two IB tests I’m registered for if I drop out of IB.

If you are this far into the IB program, probably a good idea to stick with it.

If you want to change your courses for next year to something incompatible with IBD and more aligned with your interests, maybe it makes sense.

If you just don’t want to take the tests, no, stick with it. If you end up considering a different college, the IBD could be valuable.

I would say it depends. What do you want to major in at UT Austin? Ds class found out this year that being in the top 7% hardly mattered at all for UT Austin–LOTS of them were auto-admitted but not to their major of choice and they will not be attending UT Austin.

Why are you taking the AP tests in addition to the IB tests?

It’s not that I don’t want to take the tests, it’s that i don’t know if getting the diploma is worth the amount of work. I have only done two IA’s so far, so I havent actually put in that much work as of right now. I’m taking the IB tests to get the diploma, but I’m taking AP tests for those same courses for college credit… I’m confused about that tbh. But yeah…this year and next year I’ll have 8 AP tests each. Won’t this give me enough credits? One of my biggest regrets is joining this program without knowing the actual benefits.

Some colleges will automatically give you a year’s credit for the IBD – some of which will not give credit for APs. Many will give you credit for the HL exams, so there’s no need to double up on those with the APs. But there’s no way to get credit for SL exams, some of which are at AP level, some of which are not, at college unless they are part of the IBD.

Nobody at our school took AP exams for IB classes (although I can see how in some subjects, like Chemistry) that might have been an option. The head of the IB program at our school was VERY good in talking about the benefits. Could you arrange a meeting with that person at your school?

I think you might want to ask your GC if he or she will say you took the most rigorous set of courses at your high school if you drop your IB diploma. If yes, then consider dropping if you are really not that interested.

At my kids school, you would lose the most rigorous tick on your college application, you would also be seen as having dropped the IBD and this would possibly affect a regents scholarship here. You could enquire at UT admissions and with your GC as to the implications of dropping out. My kids’ school doubles up on the appropriate APs too (plus they have at least one AP on top of the 6 IBs, and more as a senior, just so you know this isn’t novel). Make sure this is the right move for you as you have only weeks left of this year. There will be local aspects only you can work out. Make an appointment with your GC and the IB coordinator ASAP. As noted above, UT is not going to be your only application. If you have a desirable major, you may not even have that option.

IB doesn’t really align with your goals, so I think you should drop it. Your goal is to make the top 7%. It will be easier to focus on just your grades without all the IB extras. Most schools consider AP and IB equally rigorous.

IB is better for students who want all the extra challenge just for the sake of it and not for an admission bump or college credit. I know families who did IB and considered it a waste because the kid went to a school that did not give credit for it and other families who did not get IB credit but valued it because it was so enriching.

Its too late to back out, considering the effort and time you put in the course just accept it and plan on how to make the most of it

As a senior in IB, as much as I would like to tell you that IB sucks and you should quit, don’t. You’re too Darin and it’ll be worth it.