Should we feel a little sympathy for Harvard students and their families?

? @Data10 .
@theloniusmonk Good to know it’s an third party, essentially answers why they’d report. Though not that numbers would be accurate. I’m not familiar with that group. I am familiar with NYT.

MODERATOR’S NOTE: Please remember that CC is not a debate site. I deleted several posts. If debate continues, the thread will be closed.

As stated in earlier posts, the earnings are based on federally reported tax records. The NYT linked study includes federal tax reported earnings for ~30 million families who had kids in college during the reference period. The authors of the study emphasize that this is not voluntary reporting, eliminating a possible source of bias, and state the following.

*"We measure parent income as total pre-tax income at the household level. In years where a parent files a tax return, we define family income as Adjusted Gross Income (as reported on the 1040 tax return). In years where a parent does not file a tax return, we define family income as the sum of wage earnings (reported on form W-2) and unemployment benefits (reported on form 1099-G). In years where parents have no tax return and no information returns, family income is coded as zero.18 Note that this income measure includes labor earnings and capital income. Income is measured prior to the deduction of individual income taxes and employee-level payroll taxes. " *

They actually do have tons of credibility, frankly. It is known to be highly factual and reliable. Don’t believe the propaganda that says otherwise.

Let’s get this thread back on track. Since my original post, I have had several members PM me that either they themselves (or close friends of theirs) encounter a stigma of having attended Harvard and they consciously downplay where they went to college. It seems to be a “thing”, how much of a “thing” it really is, is up to debate.

I find this social construct more than a little interesting…

It is true that there are occasionally people who will make fun of a Harvard grad when they find out where he or she went to school. In my experience (Harvard College, Class of 1984), it’s good natured fun and not that big a deal. I generally see no problem with saying I went to Harvard if it’s relevant to the conversation and occasion. It does not surprise me that it can make some people self conscious, but I think the concerns are largely unwarranted, as is the idea that Harvard grads deserve sympathy.

I can somewhat relate to the experience OP talked about being a Harvard parent. I have two licence frames, a window sticker and several sweaters and a hat I bought right after my kid was admitted two years ago, but didn’t quite put them put on. The first week I put on the sticker I happened to take my car for a service. The auto mechanic came to me and asked if I went to Harvard, embarrassed I told him I wasn’t the one, but my kid was, then he went on about how it was his wife’s dream school, etc etc. Though it was nice to receive such compliment it occurred to me that the sticker attracted too much attention and made me look like too prideful a parent.

Though I agree that the benefit far outweighs the downside there are some aspects of being a Harvard admit that some families may not fully appreciate until one truly experiences it. In our case we could had never anticipated the mood swing after my DD was accepted during SCEA. We were shocked to see my DD was gripped by fear and self-doubt for a few months following her acceptance. One of kids she knew, who was also accepted EA, was so overwhelmed that he had an onset of depression. Tragically, he committed suicide after a severe episode. At one point we were going to take our kid to see a psychologist just to calm her down. Fortunately she was able to work thru the issues and matriculate at the college with a healthy mindset. But we can certainly sympathize with those families that may not want to take a lot school pride in Harvard.

Admission can trigger impostor syndrome. At the admitted students’ day, half the students were asking “Why did they let me in?” and the other half were deciding between HYPS. :slight_smile:

Depression can be triggered by getting in when that has been a goal for many years for those who “dream” of going. When this external motivator is removed, via admission, some kids feel empty until they move on to the next external motivator, like getting a job in finance.

Self-esteem issues arise by attending a school with so many intelligent and talented peers.

These self-esteem issues (and imposter syndrome) may continue after graduation when the rest of the world treats you as more competent than you feel, just because of where you went to college.

I’d think that the “imposter syndrome” is even heightened among the ALDC and other hook admittees (URM, FLI, etc.) who, when combined, makes up the majority of students at Harvard and its peer institutions. When my DS2 was admitted to Princeton, I remember how intimidated he was. Even before he had set his foot on campus, he was trying to convince himself that he was an imposter, and he’s an ORM with no hooks of any kind. I had to resort to keep reminding him that the majority of students aren’t what he made them out to be in his imagination, using the Princeton CDS to prove that at least his SAT/ACT scores and GPA do not match up with imagination. As a sophomore now, I think he suffers more from the “Duck Syndrome” than anything…

As for school stickers, t-shirts and what not, I’d have to think that those do not really sell among the alumni and their families as much as the general public. In fact, I have yet to see someone driving a car with any of HYP license plate frame. I never wear any of my H shirts and hoodies when I’m out. The stickers remain in the house, as well. The same goes for P stickers, shirts and hoodies that my son got for me. I wear them inside the house.

This isn’t because of “stigma” associated with the schools, as the word used up thread once. Not at all. There’s absolutely no feeling of stigma. Attending and graduating from any of these top elite colleges is a huge distinction, honor and accomplishment. They all feel that deeply inside BUT learn to keep them inside, simply because “publicizing” can bring all sorts of undesirable reactions, unwanted attentions and unrealistic expectations whether small or large or even trivial. These situations aren’t something the students and the alumni have themselves created. They just learn to live with whatever the public images these schools have and minimize the unwanted situations. No, in most cases, these aren’t a big deal, not even to the point of deserving a whole thread on the topic here on CC. Certainly, sympathy isn’t warranted and no one asked for one. It’s just what it is in the lives of those who have experienced them.

Feel sorry for families with kids going to Princeton.

Yale Parents can say New Haven or CT, Harvard parents can say Cambridge or MA, Princeton Parents can only say New Jersey!

You know if ,you have a Michigan sticker, Brown, BC, ND, UT, Duke etc stickers on your car, people at the shop or carwash ask the same questions or tell you about their cousin etc. did you go to x? It’s not that they are pondering the answer all day long or reevaluating their life choices. Good grief. It’s just a conversation starter.

And same thing for T-shirt’s. I wear one from my daughters school and I’m asked, literally all the time, if I went there.

It’s not just H.

Although I do occasionally try to guess, on occasion, if the person wearing any top school swag actually went there in my own mind.

So maybe they should add an “official student“ patch on the gear only grads can buy. lol.

Life is tough.

On t-shirts. I was just out in San Mateo/Palo Alto and Stanford folks are unabashed about wearing Stanford swag when they are not wearing the swag from their startup or their friends’ startups. The ethos is different.

I’m sorry, but if these folks are SOOOO embarrassed to say their kids attend Harvard, then maybe they should have only allowed them to apply to their instate flagship university.

This is such a first world problem.

I feel sorry for kids who attend a Haverford, having to explain they don’t mean Harvard.

Don’t. Haverford is a great school and in my family’s experience, no one has ever made that mistake.

@thumper1 Harvard can be cheaper than the flagship state u :slight_smile:

I guess we should all take your family’s experience as definitive then. Ever thought not everyone in life moves in the same circles as your family?

I mentioned this because I’ve seen it first hand at a high school graduation ceremony. Really smart kid, received her certificate and the Principal announced she would be attending Haverford which prompted many oohs and arhs from the crowd and whispers of, ‘Harvard,’ which ultimately caused the Principal to reiterate the young lady would be attending Haverford.

Isn’t the fact Haverford is such a fantastic school kind of the point?

Anyway, Harvard people downplaying attending Harvard, I don’t feel they need any sympathy, knowing you go to the school of your choice is reward enough. Downplaying the fact that you attend Harvard is something I see as gracious. If you want to wear a shirt great, why not? If you don’t don’t.

That does suggest that the sometimes-made claim that applicants have to figure out how to explicitly match themselves to the specific super-selective college to get admitted may not be how most admits get admitted. More likely, many or most gave strong applications that (unknown to them beforehand) happened to be among the strongest in what the college was looking for that year.

Ah, but maybe the parents wouldn’t be so embarrassed saying their kid attended the flagship by name…of course…no prestige there…but then if they can’t say “Harvard” well…?‍♀️

@tdy123 Are you kidding? Princeton is actually very nice particularly when compared to New Haven, Providence and Cambridge. I think it’s the reason it’s so popular esp with access to NYC. (I’m not a NJ resident and don’t have any connection but can see the positive aspects of the location).
The whole anti-NJ diatribe you mention and which I have heard elsewhere showcases a type of geographical ignorance that I have seen repeated when people speak of the South or various places and lump everything into a standard bucket with a label.