Sign of the Times [NYU organic chemistry course]

Congrats to your daughter for her perfect SAT score. It isn’t a privilege if you didn’t hire expensive tutors for her and she didn’t take the test repeatedly to perfect her score.

Perfect scores aren’t as rare as they used to (my son also had perfect score in every single standardized test he ever took and he never took any test more than once), because the tests have been made easier over the years. A perfect score today isn’t what it was when you and I went to school.

3 Likes

When those standards are are adjusted to yield a desired outcome vs applying resources to improve outcomes, or different standards are used for different people to obtain a desired outcome, that is a problem. If we are measuring the wrong thing as it relates to competencies, I agree we need to change how/what we are measuring.

What I felt was a good program was the one I participated in law school in the 80’s. I was selected to TA small groups in 1L Civil Procedure as a 2L and 3L. The classes were limited to minorities (Black, Hispanic, Native American and Asian Americans) and those students who received a sub Passing grade the first semester. I think I helped a lot of students, or at least my evals were good enough that I retained my position 3L even though Civ Pro at that time was 2 years in the rear view mirror. Exams ID’s were based on random numbers. I don’t recall any outcry over disparate grade results during my three years or any attempt to change exam questions or how exams should be graded.

3 Likes

Maybe I have it wrong, but I don’t think this is accurate.

There is a thread for discussions of “race, ethnicity, and affirmative action in college admissions” but I don’t believe there is a prohibition on discussing how systemic bias in impacts academia.

It there is, then many of these threads are in violation, because systemic bias permeates virtually everything we discuss in one way or another.

I wonder why NYU continues to use Jones’
Recorded lectures.

Apparently NYU didn’t/couldn’t replace Jones, who had a large lecture style class of 350. This Spring NYU offers 16 different sections of orgo with 12 different instructors. That should be interesting for consistency measures ( or perhaps consistency is already pre-programmed in the grading).

2 Likes

Exactly what resources were not provided? Per the TA, the resources provided weren’t even utilized by those critical of the class.

3 Likes

It’s been covered repeatedly above.

Shouldn’t those students who aren’t sufficiently prepared for this class take a remedial or preparatory class before taking this class?

7 Likes

Really? Where? I do not see it. Please provide link or citation as to what resources were specifically requested and not provided for your assertion.

Students were aware of the course format as in-person. Apparently they could watch his recorded lectures. Both he and the TA held office hours.

The only clear request I see was for " extra credit" projects, which he did not invent or provide. A hold-over request from high school days, I guess. Accomodations for socio economic, racial, or other system under privilege would be implemented at the college or department level.

Not necessarily. For example, some students wanted course videos distributed on the day of the class instead of on Friday night. Other wanted Zoom classes, but this teacher couldn’t figure out how to do it.
___________________________-

Sure thing . . .

If you see the timing of lecture distribution to be a serious matter, I think we will always disagree. Still waiting for course specfic accomodations from you. It

works for me.why don’t we quit going around and around?

That’s a different complaint than the ones I responded to. The issue with the timing of video distribution has more to do with personal life choices. It isn’t a factor “over which they have no control”.

1 Like

Students who have a job all weekend or family to care for aren’t exercising “personal life choices.” They are surviving. Same goes students who work extremely hard all week (at school, jobs, etc.) and have schedules a mental break on the weekend to decompress. These students didn’t sign up for a Friday night double or triple class.

Giving them a weeks worth of lectures on Friday night (days after the actual classes) seems to be either gross incompetence or purely a power move.

And there it is. You just made the argument as to why these people should never be doctors.

2 Likes

Can you clarify?

1 Like

Actually, I do think that releasing lectures only once per week could be a problem. When I took O-Chem, never falling behind was one of my keys to success. It’s important because chemistry concepts build on each other and if you get behind you are screwed (later I had a P-Chem class where I missed 1 week of lectures due to influenza, and I never managed to catch back up. Having to miss class due to Covid would be the same, of course.)

Also, being able to rewind lectures many times to re-watch difficult concepts is very helpful for students. It is what is helping my daughter succeed in her high school math class, so I have seen it work. It would not work if she had to wait for Fridays to have access to the lectures.

3 Likes

What is it about having to work one’s way through college or care for one’s family that should preclude them from ever being doctors?

2 Likes

There it is, indeed. These people, amirite?!

1 Like

Oh yes, no doubt there are scads of people at one of the most expensive universities in the country known for having quite poor financial aid who are “working their way through” college. .

If Friday night lectures do not work for you, do not watch them. They are not required. Or watch them later if you wish. Or ask your friend to record the lecture if you can’t attend and get their notes. Or even visit the TA and ask what you missed. None of these are novel concepts. A little resilience would be important for all students, particularly pre-professional ones.

The burden in medical school and early residency dwarfs that of college, I am told.

5 Likes