Signs the Empty Nest Apocalypse is Upon Us

<p>DH randomly notices I have recorded all the Top Chef Masters shows on our DVR. </p>

<p>DH decides that I just don’t need to hold on to those anymore. </p>

<p>DH deletes them.</p>

<p>And EVERY SINGLE OTHER REcORDING on our DVR.</p>

<p>The DVR was NOT FULL.</p>

<p>It sure is not full now.</p>

<p>I blame DD. </p>

<p>SHE was in charge of all the recordings. SHE handled the three remotes required to navigate the media equipment. </p>

<p>I miss DD. sniff</p>

<p>Consider this a learning opportunity…</p>

<p>Since you have nothing to watch I would suggest that you inform DH that the both of you are going shopping. With that lesson he will learn not to mess with your recordings !!</p>

<p>I know I did … :)</p>

<p>Or you could talk about your relationship. Guys love that.</p>

<p>Y’all made me laugh out loud … I really need to stop reading these posts while at work, people around me are starting to wonder why my spreadsheets make me giggle …</p>

<p>haha don’t read the new parent vent thread unless you really want some great laughs. </p>

<p>I’m missing DD pretty bad!!! I know a 14 year old that is about to be thrown the keys to my car and told to just drive herself. I can not keep up with her schedule, my schedule and work as well. Just ain’t working!</p>

<p>Oh no TXArchitect! Back in the day, DH accidentally deleted the entire contents of my Palm pilot, contacts, calendar & all. Just say Bless Your Heart, then suggest dinner & a movie. The shows are probably online anyway :)</p>

<p>I had EVERY episode of House MD on that DVR.</p>

<p>Every single one…</p>

<p>Miss House</p>

<p>TxArchitect,
Sounds like you need to put the Parental control password on that DVR so that no one can delete anything without your say so.</p>

<p>Quite a few empty-nester stutter-steps around here:</p>

<p>-- When I get up at daybreak, I still close the hallway door between the family room and the bedrooms to prevent the TV from waking nobody.</p>

<p>-- A couple of days after cleaning, out of habit I walk past the bathroom normally used by DS to go back to the master bath to avoid an argument related to how disgusting boys are.</p>

<p>-- When I drive around the corner toward my little hobbit hole, I see his car in the driveway and smile, [good, he’s home], followed by another smile, [wait no he’s not, he’s in college].</p>

<p>Note to self, do not try to mail baked good on a Thurs, only M-W. Most expensive muffins ever.</p>

<p>ldinct, lol. I did that as well this summer. OOPS! Oh well. </p>

<p>I thought about doing that tonight and realized they would ship out on a Friday. Guess on Monday we will be baking to send out on Tuesday.</p>

<p>My DW and I went to BJ’s yesterday for the first time since we brought DS to Bama. My DW went through the usual mental list of regular items that we get. She quickly realized that 70% of that list is items we would get for DS. The biggest change was going from 6 gallons of milk a week to 2.</p>

<p>Cooking less has been an adjustment here. A couple of days after we got back from Tuscaloosa, I decided to make a lasagna…when I pulled my normal batch out of the oven and set it on the stove…I thought good grief…who is going to eat all this? I kept thinking I would need to cut it down by one portion…I was calculating his dinner portion, not his late night plate…friends plates… Major adjustments coming to my house in the food prep department. Yay!</p>

<p>DH and I have loved the cooking less/eating less the past 3 weeks! I have actually lost weight, but I am sure I will gain it all back this weekend since I am baking and cooking for 11 hungry Bama students at our house!</p>

<p>Oh the cooking! We got a head start with DD going to Early College this summer. DD eats like a bird. Still, that was one less person to buy stuff for breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks. DH and I started the My Fit Foods. We eat them for all 3 meals. Our grocery bill has dropped! And, added bonus is that I don’t have to adjust cooking for just 3 instead of 4. Well, mostly 2 with DD2 as she’s never home between school, band and golf. She eats them with us for dinner. DH and I have both lost a few pounds. Yea!</p>

<p>DH and I have really been focusing on improving our health since DD1 and DD2 left. We have been doing great working out at least an hour a day and eating healthier. </p>

<p>I will only have to shop once every 2 weeks given all the food I have in the pantry and freezer from before empty nesting. I also have a garden I planted for a family of 4 - now I have WAAAY too much produce for a couple who is scaling back. DD2 used to eat kale chips like they were candy, so garden was needed to keep up. Now I will have to figure out some recipes for kale that I can freeze…</p>

<p>Get a juicer. Kale can be put into any juice recipe.</p>

<p>You can sub kale in almost any recipe that uses spinach. It might require a quick blanch before going into a pasta or casserole but it works perfectly in soups!</p>

<p>I already juice, but to be honest I can only tolerate a small percentage of greens in the mix - the taste is too, well, earthy for me. </p>

<p>I put kale into everything (just added some well minced kale into my potato salad recipe last night), much to my hubbie’s chagrin ;). Do you think kale is too bitter for pesto? I already make and freeze basil pesto…</p>