Simons Summer Research Program 2021

SSR2021 research discussion. Please update here, your profiles and any status updates on app (acknowledgements/interviews/acceptances/rejections etc).
Time lines as per website:
March 1, 2021 - suggested deadline for submission of nomination forms by designated school contact if possible

March 30, 2021 - deadline for all application materials (application and letter of recommendation forms)

May 15, 2021 - notification of admissions decision to applicants (via email)
*applicants who have submitted a completed application package can expect to receive a confirmation email acknowledging receipt of these materials by April 10th

My profile:
Area of interest: I am open to physics/biology/cs
SAT: 1560
GPA: 4.5
AMIE:5
F=ma:18
USACO:Bronze
FBLA: some state level awards

Seems like notification date is May 15,2021 - which is significantly late compared to previous years.

usaco bronze is default. you get it for just signing up lol

1 Like

Yea. I am writing silver. I couldn’t get through.

Hey guys, I just found this thread today and there’s only like 2 weeks until decisions I’m so excited!

I got an interview with Dr. Ojima a few weeks ago and I have heard that others have received interviews as well, so I think Simons is almost done reading applications.

My profile:
Area of interest: I am open to biochem/cs
SAT: 1600
ACT: 36
Relavent APs: 5 AP Chem, 5 AP Bio, 5 AP CS A, 5 AP CS P
GPA: 4.0uw, 4.8w
AMIE: 10
USACO: Gold
USABO: Semifinalist
Research: Have a few papers published, entered in some science fairs

Good luck everyone!

2 Likes

Hey! I got an interview too, but for another mentor! l have some questions about the interview, could you pm me?

1 Like

My profile:
Area of interest: Chem and CS! I chose Dr. Zhu, Dr. Ojima, and Dr. Mueller
ACT: 36
PSAT: 1510 :roll_eyes: so close but wtvr
GPA: 4.0 uw, no weighted
USACO: Gold
USABO: Semifinalist
USNCO: Top 150 Honors
Research: ISEF that’s it :pensive:

1 Like

Congratulations guys. You guys rocking. Probably, I will not make it to this. I haven’t got any news from simons.

2 Likes

Have hope!! Your profile is very strong, you are definitely rocking as well (:

Hey can you DM me I also got an interview

Has anyone gotten an interview for Bioinformatics Profs, like Moffitt or Sandhu?

Not yet, but I wonder if an interview is required for admission… Also has anyone received admission yet?

i’ve heard of people cold emailing and getting into simons that way

So some people will know they’re admitted

i think the cold emailing was to contact the mentors and ask them whether they could mentor them if accepted into the program (but i don’t think it ever guaranteed admission, just helped to show that there was already a professor who was willing to mentor you). but this year there’s a set list of mentors so i’m not sure if the cold emailing would be as helpful… are the people you’re talking about for this year?

I’ve heard people getting admissions guaranteed from cold emailing.
Yes, from this year apparently.

If we did not get an interview yet, is that a strong sign of rejection?

depends on who your choices were

I chose the cs professors: Balasubramanian, Samaras/Mueller, and Sun

Could you tell me if those positions are set already? Thanks!

I chose Liu, Deng, and Jones – don’t know if they had interviews either