Singer/Stamps 2013

<p>@debra19,
I think you have given your son excellent advice. at this young age and early in their career the best single piece of advice is “keep your options open, while committing to things you love to do” it may sound like inconsistent advice but it never steered me wrong.
Good luck to your son and you.<br>
We leave in a few hours for UM so looking forward to some sun and getting to know UM better on our 2nd visit.</p>

<p>Biocellar: Thank you. I hope it all works out. Have a wonderful trip to UM. This is probably the nicest time of the year to be there! We went for the first time last February, and it was gorgeous weather as well. Enjoy and good luck!</p>

<p>Back from the second singer weekend with my D. Actually impressed with everyone we met, even the parents questions were good. heard one of the admissions counselors say they hoped to have decisions out by Friday the 29th, as they know once April 1st hits all the results pour in and they don’t want to be last.</p>

<p>Hi, DS is interested in applying for U Miami Stamps Scholarship (the academic one not the music one). However, he is having a difficult time finding any link to the application on U of Miami website. We assume DS needs to apply in order to be considered, right?</p>

<p>In past years, no separate application has been required for the standard academic merit scholarships or for consideration for an invite to the Singer or Stamps weekend competitions. </p>

<p>“Everyone who applies to UM is considered for an academic scholarship - there’s no separate application!” </p>

<p>quote from:</p>

<p>[Scholarships</a> | Undergraduate Admission | University of Miami](<a href=“http://www.miami.edu/admission/index.php/undergraduate_admission/costsandfinancialresources/scholarships/]Scholarships”>Undergraduate Admission | University of Miami)</p>

<p>and </p>

<p>“Q: Do I need to complete a separate application for to be considered for an academic scholarship?
A: No. It is not necessary to complete a separate application for the above-named scholarships. These will automatically be awarded assuming you meet the renewal criteria. If you are planning to apply for other need-based financial aid, however, please be sure to fill out the appropriate materials for these funds.”</p>

<p>from this page:</p>

<p>[FAQ:</a> Scholarships | Undergraduate Admission | University of Miami](<a href=“Undergraduate Admission | University of Miami”>Undergraduate Admission | University of Miami)</p>

<p>The new scholarship page, though, is a bit confusing - [New</a> Freshmen / First Year Students | Undergraduate Admission | University of Miami](<a href=“http://www.miami.edu/admission/index.php/undergraduate_admission/costsandfinancialresources/scholarships/new_freshmen_first_year_students/]New”>Undergraduate Admission | University of Miami)</p>

<p>I know that page says “An additional application is required for some of the Premier Scholarships” but I believe they are referring to the Jenkins and Hammond - there is a footnote listed next to those stating “²Requires additional forms which can be found online at miami.edu/jenkins & miami.edu/hammond.”</p>

<p>I would definitely suggest applying EA. The site says only those applying EA or ED are eligible for Stamps consideration, however I’ve never heard of anyone applying ED receiving an invite.</p>

<p>illinoismom93, thank you so very much. DS has studied the website but it’s confusing. Your detailed explanation does make sense.
Does anyone know in general the Stamps recipients’ stats/profiles?</p>

<p>4beardolls - If you read through this thread from the beginning I believe you’ll find dumbo11’s post with a summary of her daughter’s numbers from 2011 which was the first year Stamps was awarded, my post with my daughter’s stats from the 2012 competition, and a post by nishanik15 with her stats (posted when she received her invite to the competition during the most recent cycle this past spring - she was awarded a Stamps scholarship after the competition). </p>

<p>These are the only three Stamps students I know of whose stats have been posted here. There were two other Stamps recipients during my daughter’s cycle two years ago who were active CCers, lasagna1 and asiannerd, who did announce they had received the scholarships, however I don’t believe they ever posted their stats. I know there is a larger crop of Stamps kids from the last cycle based on my daughter’s report but I don’t remember seeing any stats posted here from the most recent competition other than those by nishanik15. </p>

<p>Reading through other Stamps related threads (search by thread for “stamps” here on the _ board) you can get a pretty good idea of the stats of students who were invited to the competitions over the last few years. In addition you’ll find my loooong multi-part post with a blow by blow report of everything that went down during Stamps weekend two years ago : ) </p>

<p>More info on the competition itself is still available on last year’s Stamps weekend page here : [Stamps</a> Scholarship Weekend](<a href=“http://www6.miami.edu/marcom/scholarships/stamps/index.htm]Stamps”>http://www6.miami.edu/marcom/scholarships/stamps/index.htm). Make sure to click on the “weekend tips” tab for lots of pertinent info. They have typically left the page up every year until they replace it with the newest info.</p>

<p>illinoismom93, thanks so much. DS is going to apply!</p>

<p>Best of luck to your son in the competition! My daughter adores the []_[] and is having the time of her life down there : )</p>

<p>Sorry to revive an old thread, but there is a ton of good background on the Singer and Stamps scholarships.</p>

<p>Question: have invites for this year’s competitions been sent out yet, or is it still too early for that?</p>

<p>pk 92, my son received his invite on Feb. 4th for the 2nd SS weekend on March 22-23rd. 2013 He was EA. </p>

<p>There are 3 weekends. First weekend is for all Stamps candidates + Singer Group 1 (EA/ED). 2nd Weekend is for Singer Group 2 (EA/ED) invites and 3rd weekend is for all singers that were RD applicants. Stamps winners get awarded from the 1st weekend. Singers seem to get distributed evenly across all 3 weekends. This is what has happened last year and in years past…but no guarantee that it will be this way again as there have been many changes in the Admin Dept. since last year.
Good Luck!</p>