Smaller school with merit aid for Jewish girl B+/A- premed [really 3.95 unweighted HS GPA]

I think one issue here is that to become a doctor is hard. It will be hard at Juniata, at Binghamton, at UMD, or anywhere else.

One of my daughter’s classmates - the one who got into Penn, Rice, and Vandy - had to withdraw from Organic Chemistry at their school - College of Charleston.

So I don’t think you can run away from the pressure when you’re trying to become a medical professional. The job / the life is pressure.

Also - the reality is most of these kids will not get to the point of applying to med school and right on the UMD website it says - Fewer than 45% of all applicants to medical school matriculate, nationwide, each year.

So the odds of a pre-med actually making it through are likely small. Then the odds of someone making it through getting into med school - are definitely small.

And I don’t see your daughter as you’ve described her - making this leap. Perhaps you’re not giving her this fair shake - but one needs to be competitive to make this jump.

5 Likes

I don’t understand why Rochester (and maybe some others) is on the list. It’s a great school and it meets the size requirement, but on the flip side your daughter will not receive the merit she needs to bring it down to the cost of UMD.

If UMD is filled with very smart, motivated premed students, why would that not be true for Rochester (and many other schools)?

4 Likes

It would be true for Rochester or Case for sure. But at least schools would be smaller.
I actually not sure Rochester or Case are the best options. Richmond or Washington and Lee would definitely be better options. But we realize that merit aid would be hard to get in all. We are very realistic.

FWIW, D2 graduated from Rochester where 40% of her freshman class were indeed identified as pre-meds. Only maybe 15-18 of those pre-meds ended up going to med school within 2 years of graduating, including the 8 who were in REMS (UR’s BA/MD program).

Also - the reality is most of these kids will not get to the point of applying to med school and right on thewebsite it says - Fewer than 45% of all applicants to medical school matriculate, nationwide, each year.

Actually it’s been lower than that over the past few cycles. Closer to 33-35% due to a big increase in med school applications in the past 2 years (“Fauci effect”). While the data for this cycle is not yet available (MD schools accept application until November 1 and DOs accept applications until Jan 1), the numbers don’t appear to be declining any.

I also agree with @tsbna44 that no matter where you go pre-med, the environment is going to be competitive. Medicine attracts a whole lot of Type A personalities who thrive on pressure and competition. Even if the school is “supportive,” other students may not be. (Not that other students actively wish ill on the weaker students, it’s just they don’t have the time to be their tutors/teachers and still do everything else they need to be doing.)

4 Likes

10% of W&L get a full ride. You need to do the Johnson Scholarship essay.

They also have a full tuition Weinstein for Jewish students. Another short essay.

There is no other merit but given the amount that get full rides it’s at least possible.

1 Like

UMD is irrelevant. It is more like everyone in school apply, I should apply too… UMD is not priority school on the list, it is more like safety. Frankly daughter probably will chose Juniata (or Ursinus) over UMD if she will have no other choices (her words.) However, her best fit schools are neither UMD, nor Juniata or Ursinus or Case with Rochester. We truly believe that she will be most successful in Dickinson, Gettysburg, or Muhlenberg (Howard and William Smith is more like backup.) These 3 are real target and her level schools. She will be happy there, challenged but not burned, well prepared, with her crowd and close enough to home to travel by car alone.

3 Likes

My recommendation then is to apply to:

Dickinson
Gettysburg
Muhlenberg
Hobart & WIlliam Smith

Juniata (for her safety)

and pick two reaches she would go to/you would pay for even if they don’t hit your target number (if it would still be affordable).

Life is way too short to apply to 20/21 schools when there are actually fewer than 5 that she sees as a match for what she wants.

10 Likes

If money would not be an issue that would be the list and we would stop at 10 schools easily. Since money is an issue and merit money is kind of lottery we are applying to more schools.

1 Like

Merit is less of a lottery than you may think. It’s actually pretty predictable. It’s prob going to come in around where the NPC indicated and maybe even a little better.

1 Like

I haven’t read the whole thread, so sorry if I repeat something. If St. Mary’s of Maryland is a safety and would come in on budget, then I’d eliminate anything she likes less than that one. From reading about it on here, it seems to fit the vibe she is looking for, and I assume it’s financially doable for state residents. (maybe add UMBC if it’s an easy app and also a safety).

The list seems a bit scattered. I guess I would try to figure out the top priorities (Jewish life, proximity to a city or home, size of school, competitiveness, etc) and then pick the ones you like best. I do understand that you need to shop around when going for merit, but 21 is a lot of schools, especially if many of them will require extra essays and applications for merit consideration. And I really do not understand Furman for what this student seems to be looking for. My info is probably out of date, but in my memory it is a very conservative Christian school.

1 Like

We will see. But with older kid she was denied acceptance to BU (yield protection?), but accepted to U-M and CMU… Go figure…

Some people said that Furman has Chabad and some city with big Jewish community in close proximity. We will see. She most likely will not get enough merit there. As long as school is not officially religious and there is access to religious events, DD should be fine.

Does she have 2 schools that she likes and that will be affordable?

2 Likes

Aha. It was officially affiliated with the Southern Baptist Church back when I was in high school. I guess that is no longer the case.

I guess Ursinus and Juniata if they will deliver what they promised her orally… Plus she should have St. Mary’s and UMD. So she technically should have 4 financially feasible choices.

If she finds UMD to be “toxic” then it isn’t a good choice for her. If St. Mary’s is an instate public and she likes it, then she has a safety.

1 Like

Just adding one thought. It seems that the parent is looking for a supportive school that will enhance the student’s chances of being accepted to medical school down the road.

Please keep in mind…in addition to students who do a premed intention in undergrad, there will also be very high achieving students who never thought about premed as undergrads. There are many students who make the decision to become doctors well after they get their bachelors degrees.

In addition, being around very strong students is something any doctor wannabe should expect…because there will be more than plenty of very strong students in medical school…should this kid eventually get there.

This college application list is too long, in my opinion.

3 Likes

hmmm - Furman for a Jewish student - hmmmmm no.

Greenville is a neat city and has a small Jewish community which is not close to the Furman campus. The city also has Bob Jones U.

Not sure why Furman keeps coming up but for a student who wants a lively Jewish life, it’s 100% not it.

Do they have a student group - yes.

I would contact to see how many Jews there are. I’d be shocked if many, more than a handful.

Jewish Advisor: Devon Anker

It’s motto is: Christo et Doctrinae (For Christ and Learning)

I don’t understand why it keeps coming up for a Jewish student who wants a Jewish life.

3 Likes

I guess she will be considered diversity for Furman :slight_smile: . Anecdotal evidence. DD had zoom interview with Rhodes yesterday. Counselor was sitting on the phone… Was not impressed by really good internships etc. However, once discovered Jewish leadership roles became very interested and engaged… I think this is hilarious. My daughter was in shock from that… She would consider normal vice versa reaction…

She would be ok at Furman despite wanting an active Jewish life?