Smaller school with merit aid for Jewish girl B+/A- premed [really 3.95 unweighted HS GPA]

She would apply to (in order of her priority):

1. 3 medically related programs (no high hopes there but would like to try)
  2. 7 schools that we call matches (Dickinson, Gettysburg, Rhodes, Muhlenberg, Hobart and William Smith, UMD and George Washington) - most likely will be accepted to all. How much money she will get is a big question. We do not need money from UMD. If she will not be accepted to 3 medically related programs, one of schools from match list probably will be the one selected to attend.
  3. 7 schools are reaches (Richmond, Washington and Lee, Case Western, Rochester, Lafayette, Bucknell and Furman) - no high hopes there too. Probably will be accepted to some of them. Money again is a big question.
  4. 4 safeties (Ursinus, Juniata, St. Mary’s MD, Miami of Ohio.)
    She is applying test optional to all but 3 medical programs.
5 Likes

All safeties (except St. Mary’s) have free applications, no CSS, and not much work. We initially had one safety and people on this board were telling that this is not enough
So we added to the list. I think DD wants to have some choice in the end anyway. But for older daughter we kept only one true safety, so what you say makes sense to me.

2 Likes

I would say about Bing - it means many of the things you like. It will be closer to society than Miami.

You can get aid at Bing - but do you like other safeties or UMD more?

If you’re confident on UMD, etc. then you can remove a lot from your list. But if you want to see a wide range of aid, then 20/21 is fine. My daughter did 21. You have to be up on the essays quickly. And you have to find one school that’s off Common
do one school that doesn’t require recommendations
do that on the school’s app

So - are you willing to share the test scores? The reason I ask is - if you are applying to medical programs - they’re going to have to be strong to have a chance. So if that’s the case, why wouldn’t they be helpful at many of the schools you are applying to?

Good luck as you go through the process.

1 Like

Bing was initially added because of combination of some reasons. Miami was added purely for aid (DD already submitted applications to all safeties but Juniata because of EA deadlines). Frankly none of the schools that are safety are really DD’s choice. They are added as practical choices. UMD just visited and it will not be good choice for premed. Quote from yesterday’s open house “25% of all freshmen declare pre-med.” DD agreed that UMD is not good choice for premed. Too big, too competitive. Yes she can do it there, but she would prefer much smaller school.

1 Like

So tell me about the tests. When you say medical programs, are you talking the BS/MD ?

If you are submitting scores to these three programs, why not everywhere? Those scores have to be good to get into those programs.

I think and it’s too late now - but you aren’t necessarily applying to the right schools for the right reasons.

Pre Med will be tough anywhere because it’s the classes and I think they misheard that 25% are pre-med. That just doesn’t make sense
But pre-med is advising and classes - so many will not be pre-med.

But if she’s going to make it to medical school, it’s going to be tough no matter where she goes - that’s why most never sniff medical school.

The truth is - there’s probably many schools on her list, even those she doesn’t think can work, where she can have a great experience. It’s attitude and effort. Now, at the beginning many struggle and she might.

Hopefully you’ll get an offer that works for you at a school that she’ll enjoy. I’m just afraid that going in with a I’m not going to like it attitude is going to sink her experience.

3 Likes

I will share info about medical programs DD will apply later (if there would be something to share.)
Programs that she applies do not require too high scores. Since scores are above average but not top of the line, and her GPA, extra curricular and recommendations are top of the line - we go test optional. If she will not get in, no problem.
We did not misheard. We were yesterday at pre-med open house at UMD (as part of general open house). UMD is a big school and in metro DC every other student is super achiever (and in DD’s HS too.) That is quite toxic environment. I get that it would be in medical school, but I would prefer DD to have more “normal” undergraduate experience.
Yes 25% want to be premed. Then some leave quickly. Other leave after couple of semesters. It is interesting that UMD writes recommendations to all student no matter of GPA at the end. But GPA that is necessary to be competitive is at least 3.6.
DD knows it would be tough. But she wants to have some social life while she is undergrad. It is very important to her. So she chooses smaller schools exactly for that reason. Students at smaller schools are less stressed, get more help. They still work hard and are very busy.
Actually DD is very open minded person that adapts great. She actually feels environment and people very well. She also knows how to balance her life well not to be burned down. She is extremely mature for her age. It was her opinion yesterday that UMD was not best fit for premed, but would work for her for not premed. Frankly only really very bad fit can sink her experience, but she will make sure not to pick such school. We will definitely go to all schools on her short list prior to enrolling.

Why wouldn’t you look at school by school.

For example, at Juniata last year only 44% of attendees submitted. For SAT, between 1170 and 1330. If ACT, between 26 and 31.

If you have a competitive score, you’d want to submit it - because it could potentially impact merit.

So you should do that search for each school. Google Common Data Set and the school name and in section C7, you can see if scores are important and C9 you can see the 25/75 range.

That’s year old data - but you might find current data on each school’s admissions page.

To chase merit, you need to dig deep. To simply say I’m going TO - it’s your right- but you might be, in some cases missing opportunities. You don’t want to leave money on the table!! Chasing merit isn’t as easy as picking the right school - but also optimizing your profile at each school.

In the case of Juniata, at least on their NPC, they ask for a test score. There is not an option (on the NPC) for TO - and the difference in scholarship from high to low test was $27K to $31K - so not a ton but still meaningful $$. A 25 or more on the ACT, gets the $31K which was the max, even if you listed a 30+.

You might ask them - if you are TO, are the scholarships as lucrative because it does not even offer a calculation on the net price calculator.

You need to go through this exercise for each and every school.

5 Likes

Well Juniata rep when saw DD said she will get maximum merit without SAT automatically with her package. Same with Ursinus. I believe St. Mary’s will give her their max merit like 6k anyway (she is way above average student there.) Match schools are exactly her level. Dickinson does not care about SAT. Frankly I will have enough headache with sending CSS and FAFSA(some want one no matter what), so I do not want to bother with SAT scores on top. I am not sure I have enough time to dig each Common Data set now. With half of students if not more applying test optional unless you have very top scores, there is no point to provide it.

1 Like

It doesn’t take long and at most schools it’s self reporting. You only send in after you accept the admission offer.

Up to you - but if it strengthens the student, it can help.

Again, I don’t know if the score is a 25 or 32. An 1100 or 1400.

But Juniata, for example, has The W. Clay and Kathryn H. Burkholder Merit Scholarships which is a full ride - everything - for a pre-med student.

How is this awarded? What is required? This is the type of things you should find out about or rather your student - and attack it.

Again, chasing merit - it takes time and effort.

Of course, you do as you’d like - but you may be passing by opportunities.

Again, don’t know your daughter’s score - but you might be missing opportunities.

Good luck.

Binghamton gives merit aid to OOS students because they are trying to increase their presence. Almost all of the OOS students I know received some level of merit. I have not met any instate students who received merit (and I know a lot of very strong instate students).

I would not drop Binghamton because of money, because she might get some. I would drop it if she doesn’t like it for another reason.

Binghamton is often a safety for top NYS students (and some actually attend, and are premed).

1 Like

No need for coalition app. St.Mary’s (and likely some other schools on the list) has their own private app in addition to accepting the common app. First-Year Students

This will be the case at more schools than just UMD

Bsmd programs might state that the ‘required’ test score is something relatively low, but admitted students have high scores. Admission rates for these programs are in the single digits. Here’s VCU’s bsmd info (assuming that’s on the list as you mentioned it earlier). Note vcu says minimum test scores are 1330/29, but you can see from the data below that no admitted student had scores close to those.

Applications were received from 735 high school seniors for the Fall 2022 entering freshman class. Eighty students were selected for an interview. In mid-March, 30 students received an acceptance letter. The average unweighted GPA for accepted candidates was a 3.91, and their SAT scores ranged from 1460 to 1590 (critical reading and math), with an average of 1530. ACT composite scores ranged from 32 to 36 with an average of 34. In addition, accepted candidates had accumulated an average of 490 hours of healthcare-related experience.

https://honors.vcu.edu/admissions/guaranteed-admission/medicine/details/

Beyond the test score situation, does your D have healthcare related ECs? Lastly, bsmd programs are unlikely to meet your price point/financial goals of needing half tuition.

3 Likes

What is a “medically related program”? Is she applying to BS/MD programs?

1 Like

This very well could be the case at a LOT of colleges. The classes your daughter will be taking will be filled with folks with a premed intention freshman year.

@WayOutWestMom

Then they are not safety schools for your daughter. A true safety is one that the student would be happy to attend, as well as being affordable and have a very very likely acceptance.

7 Likes

It was a top contender for dd25, offered enough merit to get it down to under in state Rutgers, I think down to $27,000 a year all in? She had a 3.9 and 33 ACT, and out of 20 applications was the second least expensive (Saint Joe’s was around $22,000, the rest were all $35,000+ for OOS).

Just to clarify you are talking about Binghamton, right ?

Thx

1 Like

Yes, SUNY BING.

1 Like

OP I have been reading this post for awhile and I still do not have a good grasp of your daughter. It seems she is going test optional? I know she took classes through a CC (?) that allows her to automatically attend UMD? What other classes has she taken?

I know she’s a very good student, but I am having difficulty figuring this all out.

7 Likes

That’s why this thread has almost 1200 posts!

5 Likes

Actually at the college D2 attended (and it was one of the colleges suggested to you), almost 40% of the entering freshmen were pre-meds. (Per the college’s own survey of entering first year students.) So having 25% of freshmen stating they’re premed is going to be pretty common at lot of colleges. Freshmen really have no idea what career they want other than the common ones they’ve heard about: law, medicine, computer science, business.

Students who aren’t serious about pre-med winnow out pretty quickly, and mostly because they find other fields that hold more interest for them and NOT because they can’t hack the science classes.

4 Likes