Smaller school with merit aid for Jewish girl B+/A- premed [really 3.95 unweighted HS GPA]

Yea I agree. Completely wrong to dismiss Miami on that. And their quality of teaching rates high is what I was saying.

There are reasons to dismiss - size, geography, weather, choice , travel etc. in the end OP can choose only one. So many will be eliminated.

1 Like

Congratulations on all those acceptances!
Out of curiosity, how was Ursinus priced relative to Juniata? I perceive them as similar colleges.

I too am on the Rhodes train, but overall I’m just glad to see that she already has multiple strong options. Let fit and finances do the rest.

5 Likes

Of the current acceptances, I would vote for Rhodes too (since we are having fun with votes) :slight_smile: But regardless, she has many great options. Kudos to her!

Rhodes was in strong contention with my premed D two years ago, and we know 2-3 current students who have been very happy there.

I look forward to more updates! 1300+ posts and going! Wow!

Congratulations on the wonderful options your daughter has thus far. I also think very highly of Rhodes. Both Rhodes and Furman were on my (Jewish) son’s short list last year. His best friend (also Jewish) is a freshman at Rhodes this year and absolutely loves it. His mother still has concerns about safety. I am sure you are aware that there was a highly publicized murder of a student in a home invasion about a mile off campus last year. Honestly, I don’t think the area around Rhodes is really any more dangerous than the area around Georgia Tech or most other urban areas in the US.

Has your daughter applied to Furman’s direct entry program with the University of South Carolina medical school?

When were those applications due?

@Greatpyrmom 's post reminded me of my D’s experience with Furman two years ago. So take this for what it’s worth…

She actually ended up with a lower COA at Furman than Rhodes… first with the Townes and then an additional $10k departmental scholarship that was awarded later (right at May 1). I have no idea if this is typical of Furman, but it is worth noting in case your D is leaning that way.

5 Likes

A bit of a secret to DD’s success.
Our weapon had two parts:

1. DD community service and leadership
  2. interviews
    All kids are one of a kind. Some are solid on paper but amazing in person. That what I knew about DD.
    I told her to sign up for all possible and impossible interviews. She did some in person, some on Zoom, some on the phone.
    She got her merit not because of GPA or SAT but because who she is. Public schools and bigger schools (Case, Richmond) did not have interview option. She had no chance to shine.
    Community service and leadership item. Without giving too much details: DD established one of a kind club. It was her own idea. It was not for getting into college but really help the community. She put her heart into it. Club got by second year 150 students. She is very active president.
    We are joking that she is riding that club to college :joy:. This club is only one part of her leadership and community service. There are others…
    Interviews. DD is extremely humble, mature and supportive to others. She also has amazing communication skills. Way above her age. She was always like that even as a small kid. When she speaks with people in combination with leadership and community service, all small college admnistrators realize that she will be a great asset to their schools.
    I do not believe big school is a place for her. She may be run down by preppy or some too active kids who are trying for success. She is not that kind. She is very genuine person who cares about others and herself. She is working horse, but she knows her limits.
9 Likes

Nope. She did not consider it.

Thanks for letting me know. However i have a feeling that Rhodes still maybe the choice. We will see.

1 Like

:crossed_fingers:t2::crossed_fingers:t2::crossed_fingers:t2:

1 Like

It appears that students apply for the direct entry after they have been accepted to Furman. I couldnt find an application deadline and don’t have any first hand knowledge.

That sounds like a great program. Hopefully the students can apply and be notified before they have to make a final decision about college.

I will check. However they take only 5 students. I also believe that preference is given to South Carolina high students.

There is another poster on this forum…and her daughter has already committed to Furman, and was accepted to this medical school program. ED to Furman. So…that means there are only 4 left.

ETA…the student was selected to interview for the program. Not yet accepted into it.

This thread…scroll down.

5 Likes

Well, she has opportunities to get extra scholarships at Ursinus (like leadership, fellowship, not merit). I am not sure we are interested to visit second time there for in person interview to get a scholarship that she 90% will not use. Ursinus probably will give more money. Will anybody match money to Ursinus except Juniata? I doubt it.
Ursinus is more expensive.
I know from my friend’s daughter experience that Ursinus will try to lure good students at the end with more money. I strongly dought that any money will make my daughter to go there with her available options.

Got it. Makes sense.

Furman’s direct admit is definitely worth looking into. Both Rhodes and Furman do a good job of placing students in medical school. My husband is in a large single speciality practice in the Atlanta area and several of their recent hires completed their undergrad at these schools. Rhodes also has an early selection program with George Washington University medical school that students can apply to during their sophomore year which might also be of interest to your daughter.

7 Likes

It is hard for me to compare safety at different schools. I think locals always know how to stay safe. With Atlanta since I am GaTech alumni myself, I knew that midtown around GaTech is safe if you are using your brain :slight_smile: and do not ask for troubles. Older DD feels totally safe on campus even coming back at midnight from a campus club. She uses Marta to get to the airport and school shuttles for shopping. I have not heard a single complaint about safety at this point. On the other hand, I was not feeling comfortable outside Yale’s gates even like a tourist. I also felt not comfortable visiting John Hopkins (no problems on campus).
Maybe it is my prejudice but I feel that Baltimore is more depressed and dangerous than Atlanta. (Out of curiosity, I just Googled both and Baltimore’s crime is higher.) But it looks that Memphis has more crime than Baltimore… I need to visit to see will I be comfortable to send DD to Rhodes. I have been in other parts of TN but never in Memphis.

3 Likes

Visiting colleges I focus more on dorms and opportunity to avoid meal plans. I am worried less about food :). BTW, visiting Lafayette DD got food poisoning… I hope it was a fluke. We liked college…
If a student can avoid meal plan and has a way to buy groceries, problem with food is solved. With dorms situation is more complicated. Many campuses have very old moldy dorms. DD has sever allergy and quality of leaving will translate to quality of education she gets. It is like hungry student cannot learn; non-stop sneezing student cannot do it either.

2 Likes