Smaller school with merit aid for Jewish girl B+/A- premed [really 3.95 unweighted HS GPA]

I agree 100% about finding the best fit

4 Likes

It shows they want to help the underserved. I would hope that for all kids in med school there are opportunities since so much of society is underserved. But I suppose the reality may be different.

At one point, Furman was a top choice, or at least I thought that. Have you pursued the medical school direct track option that accepted students can apply for? I know it accepts a very small number of studentsā€¦but you never know!

1 Like

So Maryland is off the table because premed is too competitive.

Your daughter is deciding between Nova BS/DO and other schools where she would have to apply to medical school?

Your concern is that the DO program at Nova is weak?

Is all of this accurate? I am just trying to get a summary.

OP- the piece that you are missing due to your concern about your D getting weeded out as an undergrad- the weeding out never ends. Ask a second year Med student how much studying and insane hours and cramming has gone on for the endless exams. Talk to a fourth year med student right now- the interviews have gone well, but March 1 could come and the dreaded ā€œYou didnā€™t match anywhereā€ message appears.

If it were me, Iā€™d focus less on the weeding out (which is just a given throughout the premed and med school process and curriculum) and more on making sure your D is positioned for success whether or not she ends up as a physician. What if your D loves Nova, hates organic chemistry, decides during a bio lab that she gets physically ill when she has to touch body fluidsā€¦ are the ingredients there for her to be successful with a Masters in Public Health? Or a degree in epidemiology? Or as a genetic counselor? You are looking at the statistics of kids who start out wanting to become doctors and then donā€™tā€¦ and assuming itā€™s because they got weeded out. For many of them, itā€™s because they fell in love with something else.

Your D may take a class in Health Policy and decide sheā€™d rather work on fixing our broken health care system (with so many dysfunctional elements) to help cure millions of people at a time, rather than become a physician and treat one at a time (or 10-12 a day). What then? Is she in the right place to launch a health care career but with a different focus?

20 Likes

Donā€™t know how to evaluate the data as far as a % placed but they place many it seems into residency.

https://osteopathic.nova.edu/forms/2022-residency-placements-by-specialty.pdf

2 Likes

The BA/DO route at Nova sounds like the surest thing your daughter has so far guaranteeing her a medical school spot. If that is the goalā€¦she needs to decide if she wants this just about sure thingā€¦or wants to go the traditional route.

Or apply to that Furman program. Yes, only takes 5 studentsā€¦but she could be one!

1 Like

A note about reading residency placement lists.

They are about as useful as reading tea leaves because every year the match list changes.

Also you donā€™t know how many students entered as OMS1s and survived to match into residency. (IOW, what was the schoolā€™s attrition rate?)

3 Likes

That Pathway to Medicine program between Furman and Medical School of SCā€¦.sounds like it might be for SC residents only. Or maybe that means any student studying in SC. Itā€™s worth a phone call to check!

ā€œidentify talented South Carolina students who are interested in studying and practicing medicine.ā€

1 Like

Do you meam Bs/MD?

I mean this programā€¦at Furmanā€¦although in reading thisā€¦it sounds like it might be for SC residents onlyā€¦Iā€™m not really sure.

DD does not qualify for it.

There is another parent @ILoveSouthCarolina who is also trying to contact them. Maybe she has had some success. And she might know if this is for SC residents only.

1 Like

That is definitely worth follow up. I thought it was only for SC students when we went through applications two years ago, but I saw a recent post on CC that indicated it was open to any Furman student to apply. It is worth looking into for clarification.

ETA: @thumper1 referenced the post I was remembering.

3 Likes

This one is only for South Carolina students. DD is not from SC. I checked with school.

Yes for bachelor. But if her MCAT after NSU will be 503 she will have to either give up doctor idea or stay with the program, or self-study, take GAP year and loose guaranteed NSU DO spot. I am also not sure about the recommendations that NSU give to students that want to apply outā€¦

It is worth double checking the direct admit program. It appears they may have opened to all Furman students (but this could also be an oversight on the website).

The direct entry program provides up to five qualified students with admission to the USC SOM Greenville simultaneous with acceptance to Furman University. High school seniors who have been admitted to Furman are eligible to apply.

USC School of Med - Furman Partnership

Does your daughter like nova for undergrad?

Actuallyā€¦will she like it enough to be there for 7-8 years. In my opinion, a student who is happy where they are will be a happier medical school student. Iā€™m not the only one who has this opinion!

5 Likes

Iā€™m not in healthcare, but Iā€™ve heard of Cleveland Clinic, Mayo, and Dartmouth, three of the names that popped out at me when reading the residency placements from Nova. As @WayOutWestMom indicated, this report may not be telling the whole story about students who didnā€™t get placed and what that percentage is, but the fact is they still have grads getting some very prestigious placements, IMO.

1 Like