Smaller school with merit aid for Jewish girl B+/A- premed [really 3.95 unweighted HS GPA]

Awesome. Do you mind if I pm you?

Sure, go ahead.

2 Likes

You want to look at the pass rate for complex
and also match %age for residency. Important to see if these rates are increasing or declining so look at multiple years.

I still vote for Rhodes!

1 Like

We can’t apply out for BS once enrolled due to finances (there will be no scholarships). If DD will hate NSU (or any other school) she will be able to transfer only to UMD and will have to forget about medicine. She can apply for another MD or DO program and keep spot at NSU with high MCAT.

I meant
can she apply out for medical school without losing her spot in the Nova program. So this is good. Just in case.

1 Like

Huh? Are you still on that theme? She will get fantastic advising, instruction and shadowing/volunteer opportunities for Med school at UMD. Don’t know why transferring to UMD means giving up on medicine.

8 Likes

Because:

1. she will jump over Limited Enrollment for Psychology. I know it is doable.
  2. 25% of UMD students are premeds initially and classes are packed and weed out.
  3. depending on major many classes from NSU will not transfer. There will be extra wasted year or two.
    Frankly, probability of this process slim to none. If she will go to NSU she will have to finish there. She choose but then she needs to commit. Unless it is very serious issue like antisemitism or health issues she is not changing BS programs.

You mean for her bachelors? If she doesn’t like the school
I can’t imagine spending more time and money there for medical school.

1 Like

I am sure she will have a great time wherever she goes. Yes, there will be some things she will not be 100% happy about (in any place!), but overall your family is giving the process/colleges a very serious consideration and I am sure you/she will pick the right place for her(self).

3 Likes

First of all she is very smart down to earth lady who can make good analysis with all pros and cons that I will help to generate. Second, I can’t just pull extra $100k out of magical box for “happiness” once she commits. My daughter understands that. On top of this, we are not for 100% happiness; we are for the best value how to arrive from point A (HS) to point B (being a doctor) the most efficient way with least damage. It is an optimization problem.

1 Like

What is your daughter leaning toward right now?

We are waiting for more results :). 8 more results to go. We did not visit yet Rhodes, Furman or H&W Smith. Not all schools finalized their FA packages.
Removed from consideration:
Ursinus
St.Mary’s
Miami of Ohio
Cincinnati
Case
Richmond.
That leaves 14 schools to consider

2 Likes

I apologize if I missed this, but is she leaning towards Nova right now?

No leaning yet. You nead all cards to perform cost-benefit analysis :grinning:.

1 Like

Ok I understand. I thought Nova was affordable, but I assume you want to see if other schools that she likes come in at a lower cost.

All schools are affordable to us. All that she got in are coming between 17k and 25k with work tuition reimbursement and merit. It is not about money. Currently most affordable are Nova and Rhodes. UMD is $25k living on campus :slight_smile:. UMD states on their website that even living with parents brings COA to $21k. Living on Campus (without reimbursement or FA) is $30k.

1 Like

Ok I misunderstood. Given that all of the schools are affordable, I assume your daughter will make the right decision for her. The happiness comment threw me a little.

1 Like

She has to find out for her best fit before commitment, not after. Once she made her choice it is final.

Just to make sure I understand - Nova is the clearest path to med school ? Not the only but clearest ?

Yes now. But I have reservations about quality of program given that many students do not get required MCAT 502 and a bit of a mess with matching students for residency. They do match but there are complaints that some programs do not even consider Nova students.

1 Like