Smaller school with merit aid for Jewish girl B+/A- premed [really 3.95 unweighted HS GPA]

Then if it matters to her, don’t consider those schools that will only use DE or AP for placement. If they won’t tell you ‘for sure’, cross them off the list.

5 Likes

This exactly. My d23 also plans on being a social science major who is premed. My husband, who is a doctor, was also not a bio major. It’s really only four classes that are required for premed which leaves her plenty of time for classes in her major.

What about Gettysburg?

Your daughter still has some pending applications. I’d put all of this on the back burner until all the admissions decisions are received…with aid.

8 Likes

I am not sure how you got 4.
Absolute min:
2 Bio
Biochem
2 Inorg Chem
2 Org Chem
2 Physics
1 Psych
1 Sociol
1 Stat
That is 12.

Many recommend:
1 Calc
1 Anatomy
1 Genetics
1 Microbiology

2 Likes

The four critical classes are two years chemistry, one biology and one physics. Much of the rest of your list are general education requirement that one needs to take for most arts and sciences majors.

Do you confuse years with classes? Because normally one class is one semester. 2 years of chemistry alone are 4 classes…I have never seen art students that take Biochemistry, Genetics, or Physics unless they are premed.

This. All. Day.

You seem extraordinarily over-involved in every bit of minutia. She’s mature beyond her years, as you say. Let that maturity take the wheel.

10 Likes

Can you please explain to me what the goal is with the CC classes? What is your daughter trying to accomplish?

1 Like

Rhodes is not unique in reviewing CC syllabi after matriculation. That was our experience with our D at multiple schools. In fact at the school where she matriculated, she didn’t know if her DE courses, from a four year college, would transfer until two weeks before classes.

6 Likes

Agreed. And this practice is one reason students double deposit. Not suggesting OP do that, but not making it easy to understand one’s credit situation is a non-student centered practice (like so much of admissions), and I understand why some people would want to keep options open by also depositing elsewhere.

1 Like

That’s not true. The courses @momsearcheng listed are required for most applicants to medical schools.

2 Likes

That is my question as well. If she skips intro science classes, she will have to take higher level classes anyways. For most students, that’s the best way to crush her GPA and be out of contention for med school.

7 Likes

Having the CC credits on her undergrad transcript do not matter. The medical advising folks are the ones who will advise which courses she needs to take for medical school applicants. Rhodes has excellent medical school advising. But maybe when you visit, you can have a conversation with someone who does medical school advising.

The medical schools will most definitely see the CC transcript. It will be a required submission when applying to medical school. There is absolutely no reason I can think of why this should be a the reason your daughter should not consider a college.

And adding…The rigor of college classes will be higher at the four year colleges your kid is considering like Rhodes and Gettysburg. Even the intro courses will be more challenging than the CC ones. These schools take the job of preparing their students for professional school applications very seriously.

10 Likes

Pre req classes have changed since @Baltmom23 husband went to med school. Requirements have changed even since my D was applying to med school 11 years ago.

4 Likes

One thing OP’s D can be doing right now is to speak with a premed advisor at the schools under consideration. They might not be able to say which courses will be granted credit (they might have a good idea), but they can lay out a proposed course schedule for the undergrad years.

This exercise might also help OP see exactly what wayoutwestmom, thumper1 and others are saying about accepting credits, taking upper level courses, graduating early, etc.

9 Likes

I don’t want to go to off topic but these are indeed the core classes. The Prerequisites for Medical School – Kaplan Test Prep If a student pursues a post bac, these would be the classes taken.

Yes, my dh graduated long ago but he works at an academic medical center We have another family member applying to medical school, already accepted to several T30 programs.

Math, English, a social science and foreign language requirements are common to arts and sciences majors.

Deleted

@Baltmom23 is speaking in general terms about the core science classes that are on the MCAT. Yes, there are other requirements, such as biochem, genetics, etc. However, if your kid can get past gc, oc, bio, physics, especially ochem, then the rest can be distributions in most majors and shouldn’t be that hard since they are post weed out courses. MCAT will make or break your child.

Small word of caution about these LAC or small universities with “good” pre-med programs. My friend’s kid is a honors pre-med senior with a 3.9+ GPA. The kid got his first “bad” grade in ochem. Ever. The 1st class was around 80 students and 2nd was about 50 kids. Some schools will not allow students into their pre-health science committee programs until after ochem. Depending on the committee letter school, if your kid doesn’t have a certain GPA such as above 3.5, they will not write your kid a committee recommendation letter and no chance of med school.

Wonder why some schools can claim 90% acceptance rates to med school?

3 Likes

I do think some very solid advice and it’s been said throughout including today - don’t leave Rhodes, don’t leave Gettysburg, etc. without meeting with a pre-med advisor.

In addition to the days schools plan, they can add more. We did meetings with profs and advisors as many schools. Admissions is the sales team - they need to get you in the door. They’ll get you what you need schedule wise. Or they’ll try. Far more kids turn down Rhodes than Rhodes will ever get - so when someone like you comes in, they’ll bend over backward to sell you.

All that said, if the student wants to be a physician, I don’t see how giving up Nova is a possibility. Rhodes, Furman, Gettysburg, Hobart, UMD - wherever - guarantees you nothing.

Nova guarantees a path should you meet their requirements.

To me, if I really wanted to be a doctor, that’d be tough to pass up.

4 Likes