Smaller school with merit aid for Jewish girl B+/A- premed [really 3.95 unweighted HS GPA]

Well, she wants credits on a transcript :slight_smile: from CC classes.

3 Likes

Rhodes requires 128 units to graduate; their psych major only requires 44 credits (11 courses). There should be plenty of time in the four years to take the required pre-med courses amongs the 84 credits left.

And how about all those other students who don’t have any CC credit and still manage to graduate in four years with a non-bio major and their pre-med met. They manage, and I’m sure your DD can too.

9 Likes

Why? What she really should want (if she wants to apply to medical school) is excellent advising from her college on what she should be taking to make her a successful applicant.

Medical schools WILL receive her CC transcript
because all college transcripts are a required part of the application process.

8 Likes

I have hired dozens of Psych majors and there are probably 20 in my family (kids, cousins, siblings, in-laws). NONE of them took four years to focus on psych. Psych is often combined with another major or minor, and nobody needs four full years of psych and THEN a year for premed.

But again- your D needs to be driving the bus here.

1 Like

I am confused by all of the CC classes and what you are trying to accomplish. It seems to me that she will have to take higher level science classes regardless of whether or not the college accepts the CC credits. They will still be on the transcript when she applies to med school. Maybe I am not understanding.

There is no easy way to get into med school. Do you want her to graduate in 3 years?

I would have your D pick a school, meet with a premed advisor, and follow a plan.

One of my siblings- psych and stats double major (went to grad school for a doctorate in clinical psych.) A nephew- psych and bio double major. Graduated in four years, had all the premed requirements done but decided he was interested in public policy. I won’t bore you with the stories.

It does not take four years of focus to complete a psych degree, and MANY people do a double major, AND apply to med or dental school. I’m not getting the fixation on community college here

Med schools will see the CC credits because she will have to submit that transcript along with her 4-year transcript.

I don’t think that many/any of the experienced people here would place that requirement as an important one in choosing a college, given everything else under consideration.

6 Likes

From the transfer credit policy at Rhodes

• To receive credit, the course must be taken at an accredited, 4-year college or university. Online or distance education courses are not accepted. Community college courses are not accepted.
3 Likes

Not getting involved on whether CC classes count for medical school - but why Rhodes? How about Furman, Muhlenberg and others? If this is a deal breaker for Rhodes, should you look at your entire list? And then what about Nova - it’s your only sure bet - but how would they handle?

It seems odd that a school wouldn’t evaluate you up front - and I’d even reach out to the pre-med advisor and ask some of the questions raised here. They are typically listed on the school’s website (their name/email) so I’d assume they’d be willing to spend 30 minutes with you.

Found this - seems complete - no idea if it’s accurate but it appears credible (to me).

Pre-Med Myths | ProspectiveDoctor

1 Like

Or Gettysburg? Didn’t that one come into the mix too?

1 Like

Fine. No transcript credit but almost certain that she will be placed into, or can test into, higher level courses.

See what their placement/credit policy is for AP tests.

Actually, here is what they say. So they will almost certainly let her test into the courses she is eligible for.

Rhodes will normally grant course credit to entering students who score either 4 or 5 on a College Board Advanced Placement examination. Students who score 3 on an Advanced Placement examination may enroll in advanced course work if the relevant department recommends it.

And if they don’t consider CC courses to be equivalent in rigor to AP courses, and if your DD can’t place into higher level courses on the merit of her knowledge, then as was noted above, she should retake those courses even if she doesn’t want to, or she won’t be prepared for the rigor of medical school.

13 Likes

Great info!

I know for sure that Nova takes all CC credits and Juniata too. Nova recommends CC credits for 3+4 and Juniata explicitly lists DD’s CC classes in their database.

4 Likes

But your daughter will have to take higher level college classes regardless of whether or not the college accepts her CC classes, because the CC classes will be on her transcript.

Maybe I am not understanding

3 Likes

Perfect! And NOVA will guarantee DO acceptance with a minimum MCAT.

Sounds like if your DD wants CC credits and a guaranteed acceptance, NOVA it is.

If she doesn’t, or if NOVA has aspects that she doesn’t like, then it’s time to make those hard decisions that all of us face at some point in our lives.

3 Likes

I went to a high school that did not offer AP classes, and my state did not allow DE at the time. However the education at my high school was rigorous, and the college I went to (a top LAC) provided placement tests. I was able to test out of 1 class each of intro bio, into chem and calculus. I also tested out of the foreign language requirement (3 classes). I did not receive “credits” on my transcript or “credits” toward the total credits needed to graduate, but I WAS able to go directly into the next level of classes. They did NOT make me do anything over. When it came time to apply to medical school, there was no problem. They did not ask “Why doesn’t she have Intro Chem on the transcript?” they knew that I had tested out of it because I had completed the high level classes such as Orgo 1 and 2.

I did end up graduating 1 term early to save money. I did so even though I didn’t come in with any credits they counted. It was possible to do because I just took a few extra credits per term (labs, little fun classes etc.)

I recommend you do NOT decide on a college based on their credit policy.

15 Likes

Well then you’ve narrowed down the field! Yesterday you were worried you weren’t going to be able to make a decision and now it’s almost been made for you!!! Congrats to your D.

5 Likes

I really do not want to discuss this but Rhodes does take CC classes.
For students enrolled in high schools/secondary schools who take a college course

Students who have not graduated from high school, but have taken college course work, are not considered transfer students. A maximum of 32 credits may be earned through Advanced Placement, Cambridge Pre-U, International Baccalaureate, and Option International Baccalaureate examinations. It is the responsibility of the student to have official reports of examination scores in Advanced Placement, Cambridge Pre-U, International Baccalaureate, and/or Option International Baccalaureate sent to Rhodes College. For specific course credits awarded for Advanced Placement and International Baccalaureate, please see this chart.

Courses taken on a college campus prior to matriculation by accepted students, including those which are taken in conjunction with a dual enrollment program at the secondary school level, will be accepted for credit only if such coursework does not satisfy high school graduation requirements or requirements for admission to Rhodes. Such courses must be taken on a college campus, not in a high school even if taught by collegiate faculty. Credit for such courses must be requested during the summer prior to enrollment at Rhodes.

What is your daughter trying to accomplish with her CC classes? I am confused.

6 Likes