Smaller school with merit aid for Jewish girl B+/A- premed [really 3.95 unweighted HS GPA]

“Sneaky and manipulative” usually cancel out “good reputation”. So no, it’s not obvious.

You’ve already made sure she only applied to affordable schools that you approved of. Let her decide because if you force her to choose the school you like best, it’s going to backfire. She’s got to be there for four years. Not you.

10 Likes

Agree, I meant a good academic reputation.

1 Like

But in the end your D’s college choices, as with many things in life, is a series of imperfect options from which she must choose. I wish you all well as she makes her decision.

And FWIW I don’t think it is fair to say that Rhodes is “hiding” their requirements as the Bible studies requirement is stated on the website. Foundations Curriculum | Rhodes Catalogue

7 Likes

A simple google search…

Didn’t exactly require a deep dive. Certainly given the concerns you are expressing would have prompted you to ask more, but you apparently didn’t look. Those links include the following statements…

“ “Courses that fulfill the F1 must satisfy the requirement of the Bellingrath Trust to offer academically ‘sound and comprehensive’ exploration of biblical texts and traditions.”

”All students must enroll in either “The Search for Values in the Light of Western History and Religion” or “Life: Then and Now” to satisfy the F1 requirement in the Foundations Curriculum. Many entering students have questions about the exact nature of these two options. The best description of the programs is in the Rhodes College Catalogue, and that section should be read carefully.”

It is inaccurate for you to claim that Rhodes is manipulative or sneaky no matter how many times you say it given what a simple google search indicates.

That is neither fair or accurate for future readers. You (and your daughter) are responsible for doing the hard work. This school has offered your kid a place in their community and a generous financial subsidy but rather than being humble and thankful you are clinging to a bitter narrative of victimhood. It is unfair to the school and future potential applicants.

14 Likes

Here is the issue you have. Your daughter didn’t apply to suitable to you undergrads that are affiliated with LECOM. And as you noted, it’s late for scholarships at some of those colleges. There are quite a LOT of affiliated colleges on that list. Your daughter was accepted to two of them…Rhodes and Juniata. If she plans to do the LECOM guarantee (which does have a minimum GPA requirement), her acceptances to these two schools are her only options.

OTOH, she has acceptances to a bunch of other colleges that are affordable for your family. She would have to do a traditional route to applying to medical school. This is still a possibility.

And then there is Nova. MCAT required, plus 7-8 years at Nova…so hopefully she likes it. The nice thing about the LECOM option is undergrad is someplace else…and for some students that is refreshing.

As noted, your issues with Rhodes were mostly discussed on this forum weeks ago. But this was before the LECOM acceptance.

If Rhodes is so distasteful to you and your daughter, and you really want that LECOM option…Juniata is the choice. And IIRC, you both liked it more than you thought you were going to.

Either that…or discuss that traditional route to medical school.

8 Likes

this is a real thought here. She says right now that she wants to be a doctor and go to med school. But lots can happen along the way. Many who go pre med never go to med school. Many find other ways to be in the medical field. Is your D one who has said this is what she wants for a while now and has not waivered, or is she one that that could change her mind. The reason I ask is that my D is always changing her mind. What she went to college for changed, and even now her life goals have changed. What I thought she should have studied is close to what she is doing now. OTOH , my son knew what he wanted to study and has stuck to that .
My D’s ex is in medical school (VCOM). I saw the process he went through , spending a year studying for MCATS (which he took more than once) and then another year working for a medical group while applying. So that was 2 extra years before he even started. For your D, I get the frustration that she would have to spend 4 years undergrad, but she is cutting out a step/process of that year of applying if she goes to Juniata or Rhodes.
BUT if there is any chance she may decide not to go the medical route, then she should go to Gettysburg and she what happens down the road. I have seen others waiver from what they wanted at age 17/18 to when they became 21, and some that have stayed the course.
Worse case is that she can start at Rhodes or Juniata, and if she changes her mind ,with a good GPA she could transfer (and if wanting LECOM stay within those schools). There is nothing about the decision that forces her to stay the course of what she chooses.

I think OP understands the nuances of what they are facing.

What I wonder is - what is required at Juniata. I’m not savvy enough to figure out - is the same required course wise - but this is a requirement of their general ed. It makes we wonder if something similar is required:

Discern:

Students will strengthen their ability to consider the world from different vantage points.

Being able to discern the quality of knowledge and beliefs allows students to make informed judgments. Such work is epistemological, as it involves the study of how knowledge is constructed. We expect students to ask: “How do we ‘know’ this is true? Who created this knowledge? How is it accepted or trusted? What makes an action ethical or moral? Why?” Learning to embrace ambiguity while posing such questions helps students ask better questions when confronted with mystery, challenges, and new ideas.

Ultimately, the Juniata College Curriculum aims to help graduates become intellectually agile and expansive enough to pursue any endeavor with a powerful and open mind. The Curriculum will provide an intellectual context for every student’s Program of Emphasis. And it provides a powerful way of finding one’s place in the world, challenging authority, and questioning assumptions.

4 Likes

@tsbna44
Upthread, this parent explained that she understands what is going on at Juniata. I’m not sure there is a need to rehash that…again.

There are 0 problems with Juniata curriculum or education. They also take all credits. DD liked college by itself and students during admission day. However, she doesn’t fit socially among accepted students. She tried to contact some. She doesn’t qualify for any sport, she is not into art. They advertise Hillel but the whole admission can’t find a single Hillel member. Active Jewish community is very important to her. Sunsets and lake are great, but kids with your interests are very important in isolated rural area.

2 Likes

What school is your daughter most interested in right now?

She is not sure…

Absolutely, but she is not on campus yet to meet those kids. I know you can meet some through social media, but that is just a glimpse…

1 Like

What are her interests? I know she is very social.

Here is my suggestion…don’t discuss this for a couple of days. Let everything just settle. If your daughter asks you a question, fine…answer. But I would give her some space right now to make a decision.

We did this with our own kid. She was having a lot of trouble deciding between choices one and two…primarily because 2 was so much less costly. We told her to just think about it…what she wanted in a college…and we would talk about it when she was ready. But she had to make her decision by April 28 (we had a computer glitch with older brother on April 30…so wanted to get it done early).

Then we walked away from the college decision making process.

7 Likes

My daughter’s dual enrollment courses were on her High School transcript, counting towards her GPA there. However, there was a formal process where the two partner Universities that the two teachers had registered their classes with, could also issue her a University transcript for those classes (for a nominal transcript fee) and submit them directly to her college.

As far as Rhodes’ policies, once we had admission offers, it clearly was my daughter’s responsibility to apply her learned “research” skills, to carefully read through the prospective colleges policies with respect to “core” classes, as we as any transfer credit policies, to inform her on how to choose.

Within one click I got here - and it speaks about colleges courses taken AT the high school, or taken as part of fulfilling high school requirements:

3 Likes

Great, and this is exactly what I was reading too. Nowhere it says that Community College credits will not be taken. Her credits were above and beyond school graduation requirements. It does not state that classes have to be from 4-year school either.
Furthermore, even the admission counselor said that Rhodes will probably take at least half of the credits. Now they say that they will take none…

1 Like

From the link provided by Digital Dad

Courses taken on a college campus prior to matriculation by accepted students, including those which are taken in conjunction with a dual enrollment program at the secondary school level, will be accepted for credit only if such coursework does not satisfy high school graduation requirements or requirements for admission to Rhodes. Such courses must be taken on a college campus, not in a high school even if taught by collegiate faculty. Credit for such courses must be requested during the summer prior to enrollment at Rhodes.

• To be accepted for credit, each course must be judged comparable in terms of content and quality to a course in the curriculum at Rhodes or it must be judged to be consistent with the liberal arts and science curriculum and of a quality comparable to that expected of courses at Rhodes. Departmental chairpersons make these judgments; in many cases the Registrar of the College can act with the authority of departmental chairpersons. In some departments, a proficiency examination must be passed in order for the transfer credit to be accepted. The chairpersons and the Registrar assign credit toward a degree in such a way as to match comparable work at Rhodes.

Seems to be pretty straightforward that the department chairperson can determine courses not the be comparable when taken at a CC. Which is what seems to be the case here as per earlier posts from the OP. I am assuming the CC courses were taken on a CC campus or that lack, too, would additionally disqualify those credits from transferring.

6 Likes

@momsearcheng - was that the case? Or were those courses taught at the high school?

I know that at my daughter’s college, since AP classes are standardized, no case-by-case review is needed. However, while AP classes (scored 4 or 5) could be used for credits, they could NOT count towards a major (but towards minors).

As far as college transfer credits, yes, those would be reviewed by the same criteria as incoming transfer students - it’s certainly not guaranteed that all courses from other colleges would be accepted as equivalent, so typically only a subset of all credits would transfer.

1 Like

Also, even if someone took AP Chem and received a 5 - they wouldn’t received any credit towards their Chemistry requirements for a Neuroscience B.S. degree at Rhodes. They would get credit for Chem 105 and be able to start in Chemistry 120, the first required Chem class for the Neuroscience degree.

I don’t think they are discriminating against your CC credits, I think Rhodes has exceptionally stringent requirements for any class supplanting a Rhodes class within a major.

4 Likes

Yes - and that doesn’t seem to be exceptionally stringent. College transfer credits to any selective university are subject to scrutiny, in particular when the receiving university is supposed to eventually put their good name on a diploma for a major.

6 Likes