Smaller school with merit aid for Jewish girl B+/A- premed [really 3.95 unweighted HS GPA]

I think you’re right.

At my daughter’s college, AP classes (with a score of 5) can get general credit or possibly allow you to start in a higher sequence course, but don’t count towards college graduation requirements by and large, unless one of the general credits is accepted toward a specific, non-major elective requirement.

2 Likes

I agree that based on what had been suggested to you by Admissions, and what their stated policy is, someone should place a call and ask to reconcile their outright refusal with the published policy your student had relied on.
Hopefully there is an explanation or misunderstanding, regardless on whose side.

1 Like

Take Rhodes out of the mix if you believe they are dishonest.

There is nothing nefarious, again. MANY private universities don’t take CC or DE credits, or give limited credit. Many will allow students to place out of intro level courses, but most private colleges will determine equivalency. The same would be true if she was transferring in from some other four year institution.

You not liking their policy doesn’t make the college sneaky, suspicious, duplicitous or any other adjective. I’d say it makes them vigilant because they want their graduates to meet certain standards.

Just going to put it out there, though it’s probably already been stated, anyone who intends to be a doctor needs the maximum education. Personally, I’m not sure I’d be comfortable seeing a doctor who didn’t have the most rigorous education possible. Generally, community college isn’t that rigorous. Saving money is one thing, but cutting corners is another.

My own kid received credit for AP courses. For her major, even though she had AP credit, she took the foundational 100 level class in college. She was glad she did. AP classes really aren’t a substitute for college classes.

My son submitted his AP stats score in lieu of opting out of 100 level stats. The college accepted it, and my son discovered as a college sophomore that he could NOT take 100 level stats again, because he already had credit for that at his public university.

So he had to go into 2nd year stats, having not thought about AP stats for over three years. He struggled mightily. We all wish he hadn’t been so eager to get the credit because the 2nd year course messed up his GPA.

Rigor in college is much more rigorous than rigor in high school, or community college, or DE classes.

18 Likes

I’m curious to know if OP’s daughter shares these same views. Especially about the foundational requirements.

7 Likes

We still don’t know if the DE classes were taken on a CC campus or not, right? Because if they were taken at the high school, they automatically don’t count as college credit according to Rhodes.

3 Likes

Just a general observation that may, or may not, apply to the OP’s daughter.

There are many doctors in my family, and also I saw how Organic Chemistry kicked my friends’ butts and weeded them out from being pre-meds.

As a result, I always thought it would be an excellent idea to have already taken/studied organic chemistry (and any other weedout courses) in some form or another before taking them in college.

Accordingly, if this were my child, I’d be thrilled that they were retaking those classes, and would expect a really high gpa, which we all know is critical.

Just another perspective.

12 Likes

But your daughter hadn’t graduated from high school…so these are part of her high school transcript.

I think you need to move on from this. You know the policy and continuing to bring this up isn’t productive.

6 Likes

I am confused. Did this student take these classes at the CC campus? Does she need them in order to fulfill her graduation requirements, or would she have enough credits etc without the DE courses?

1 Like

Just putting it out there for folks reading this-- do NOT assume that your kids credits from an overseas semester will transfer back to the home institution. At most U’s this is not an automatic thing- many U’s reserve the right to evaluate the course work, any assessments, papers, etc. before giving credit.

I know LOTS of kids who were surprised upon their return that they “lost” a semester. Which is fine if families go into the process understanding the risks. The language fluency, travel, stimulation, cultural immersion, etc. were “worth it”. But other families cannot really afford a make-up semester and so caveat emptor. I don’t think colleges are being duplicitous or dishonest about this- I don’t know ANY institution which automatically grants credit without a review (whether DE, transfer, CC, foreign study). And that review often does not break in the kid’s favor.

I was the ONLY student in my study abroad program (we’re talking 45 years ago, so this is not a new policy) who received full credit from my home institution. And not because I’m so smart or prudent- I flew off naively assuming " a credit is a credit". But I was lucky enough NOT to get the courses I registered for overseas and some administrator filled my schedule with courses which had space available. And lucky for me- those courses (not very popular with Americans) included a research tutorial, so I had an entire dossier of comments, drafts, etc. of a major research paper I had written, with professor’s notes and evaluations. The head of the department back home read through it and decided it was “worth” a two semester research seminar.

My parents would have hit the roof if I’d needed an extra semester. Fortunately- didn’t come to that.

So do NOT assume that a credit is a credit. Your kid can enter college with “advanced standing” and register for junior level classes immediately- but that doesn’t mean they will be able to graduate in 21 months…

Good luck to the OP’s D who has MANY options at this point!

6 Likes

My kid’s college “accepted” DE CC” courses, but they could not be used to fulfill any graduation requirements in her major. This is a very common thing.

This is likely the case at most colleges, including Rhodes.

4 Likes

Thank you. My daughter entered college with sophomore status, but she figured it all out and knew what she had to do. I didn’t get involved in any of it.

4 Likes

In fairness to OP, I think it’s the board keeps bringing it up.

She knows or believes as she does and doesn’t like it but they are still considering Rhodes.

2 Likes

Sorry for flagellating an equine zombie – entirely my fault!
I had lost sight of this thread, and when I came back it seemed as if some details of the concerns of the parent hadn’t been acknowledged, adding perspective in light of the policies of many colleges, and possibly helped by examining valid reasons/necessities behind the apparent vagueness of these common policies.

At some point, we all started this process as “uninformed laypeople”, and if anything, I absolutely would react poorly if admissions personnel inaccurately recited the policy about a very common scenario. As my daughter impressed on me: “IDK is a valid answer to a Y/N question!”.

I could have sworn that last night, one of the last two responses had contained the phrase “Of course she did…”. Which is why I had felt the parent’s objection were understandable - but now I can’t find it (anymore?).

Yes, they were at CC college campus and were not required to fulfill graduation requirements.

4 Likes

Sorry. This is not for the board but you do not understand situation. We found a girl at Rhodes with DE credits on her HS transcript. The issue is not DE credits. They take DE credits. They take them from accredited places. CC is accredited.

1 Like

Moderator took out one of my replies.

Just wanted to highlight this scenario - not because it necessarily relates to OP’s situation - but it’s a detail many first-timers could miss:

Colleges have policies that the same course cannot be taken twice - and in that context an “in lieu of” AP credit can prevent you from taking a course you genuinely need!

4 Likes

The above is always the risk with several years of gap in a particular subject.
If student even without outside credit takes some Math or science credit and does not take the following credit in the field for a while, it is always difficult to come back after some time.

1 Like

So, you’ve dotted your i’s and crossed your t’s!

As you had stated in the moderator-deleted post last night (if my recollection is right), the next step for your daughter is to supply the supporting documentation that colleges do require (e.g., HS affirming that these courses on the HS transcript were not graduation-required, supplying course syllabi to allow department heads to assess whether those do match their own course in content and quality,…)

While those may be a frustratingly unexpected effort, those are not at all uncommon policies.

5 Likes

I advise to people to take overseas only classes that are tought by your school faculty at overseas location (kind of school summer abroad when group of students with your professor goes together), or when overseas credit from school is already shown in school transfer database or known to registrar. All others are huge gamble.
In addition, majority of American students are not ready to take classes overseas since they have no clue how education there works. Student’s entire grade may depend on final exam (like APs in the US). And it is student’s responsibility to study. Nobody will provide any assessments.

1 Like