So...I asked ChatGPT to chance me

Here is what ChatGPT’s response looked like if anyone was interested:

Me: I have a 96th percentile SSAT score and am the editor in chief of our school newspaper, go to Japanese school, Volunteer, partake in the Scholastic Art and Writing competition, play the clarinet and piano, am the treasurer of our speech and debate club, and sail. I am also my class representative for my school. Could you please tell me my chances for private boarding schools like the Loomis Chaffee School?

Chat GPT:Your accomplishments and involvement in various activities showcase a well-rounded and high-achieving profile, which is impressive and aligns well with the expectations of top-tier boarding schools like Loomis Chaffee. However, it’s important to note that admission to such schools is competitive, and admission decisions are based on a holistic review of your academic, extracurricular, and personal qualities.

Your 96th percentile SSAT score is excellent and will likely be viewed positively by admissions committees. Being the editor in chief of your school newspaper, participating in the Scholastic Art and Writing competition, playing musical instruments, volunteering, serving as the treasurer of your speech and debate club, sailing, and being your class representative demonstrate a wide range of interests and leadership experiences.

To improve your chances of admission, consider the following:

Letters of Recommendation: Ensure that your letters of recommendation are strong and provide insights into your character, work ethic, and contributions to your school community.

Personal Essays: Craft compelling personal essays that showcase your personality, values, and how you would contribute to the Loomis Chaffee community.

Interviews: If interviews are part of the admissions process, prepare thoroughly. Be yourself, articulate your goals, and express genuine interest in the school.

Demonstrate Fit: Research Loomis Chaffee thoroughly and highlight aspects of the school that resonate with your interests and values in your application.

While your achievements are important, remember that admissions committees also look for individuals who will contribute positively to the school community. Emphasize your leadership, teamwork, and interpersonal skills in your application materials.

For a more personalized assessment, I recommend reaching out to the admissions office at Loomis Chaffee. They can provide specific guidance based on your individual circumstances and the current admissions landscape. Good luck with your application!

I don’t know what I expected, but experienced boarding school parents, students, people in general, is this accurate? What are your thoughts?

Well I wouldn’t really trust ChatGPT its really inaccurate. For example it said last year when I applied to Andover, Exeter, Milton, Deerfield, and Choate, GPT gave me a 30-70% depending on the school, and guess what rejected or w/l from all of them. GPT is outdated and uses 2022 data so can’t be trust in general. Like IMO GPT just gets your hopes high than brings it down, or it did for me.

1 Like

Sure, it’s accurate in that it’s standard information you’d find anywhere. In other words, totally generic.

It seems that chat gpt should have mentioned this website, so that you might get advice about how to improve your chances. Luckily, you thought of it yourself. I am sure some of the experienced people here can give you pointers that might help you stand out. Good luck!

6 Likes

Yeah, I know that this is probably inaccurate in terms of how it’s chancing me given that I know people with WAY better stats than me but I was wondering if the advice it’s giving is accurate? Do I really have to have leadership roles? I know I have leadership roles but since I’m very introverted in person and it’s been hard for me to actually be leader-like and I sometimes think I’m letting people around me down.

1 Like

Honestly GPT is a good way to ask and find out ways to strengthen you ecs and find out stuff you never thought you did. Like for example you didn’t think you had leadership but obviously you do, but thanks to GPT you found out you did.

And theres no problem for fibbing a little bit. I’m also introverted but I act differently during interviews and said I was a extroverted person. Just use GPT as a tool IMO, don’t take it as like something serious.

Good luck!

1 Like

Thank you! I know my app is pretty generic but I’m hoping subjective parts of it like essays and interviews will help me.

Hey there - there are many different styles of leadership and ways to show leadership. You don’t have to be extroverted or loud or anything like that to be a leader. My daughter is introverted to the point I’m surprised the interviewers were able to get anything out of her during their conversations. You don’t need to be anyone but who you are in the interviews and your application. Schools want lots of different kinds of personalities.

You mentioned that you do service (leadership/initiative and thinking about others/sharing your talents with others), editor-in-chief of paper (obvious leadership there - learning to delegate, to keep people on task, to work with differing opinions and needs and keep everyone happy), are treasurer of speech and debate (showcasing leadership by stepping up into a key role for your club), and are the class rep for your grade (definite leadership in speaking for others and making sure voices are heard, etc).

There is so much demonstrated leadership in those four activities. Remember to own your accomplishments and your strengths. Instead of focusing on how you might be “letting others down” (which is likely only you thinking this and not others), focus on the things you do well. How have you grown as a person and leader through these roles? What have you learned about your leadership style (maybe you lead by example or are very good at motivating others in some way)? What are you proud of that you have done/accomplished as a part of these roles?

3 Likes

This is very bad advice. Schools want kids who are authentic and honest. It helps to know yourself, even though most of us continue to learn.

Introverts are welcome. Yes, in your interview, you need to hold up your end of the conversation, and that is easier for someone who is outgoing, but the AOs will make it easy for you too - they want to see you at your best.

6 Likes

You’re missing my point. You’re interesting. Chap GPT is generic. The advice is generic. You’re not generic. Chat gpt does not offer insight. It rehashes whatever is already out there. Keep asking your questions here. You’ll get answers from humans, not AI.

ETA: Improve your app by maximizing your experiences. You’re the editor of the paper, so come up with an interesting new weekly or monthly column. Keep creating Scholastic Awards-worthy pieces, because they might develop into something even better. Play some fun new violin music and maybe go play at the senior center near you. Those extra efforts will pay off, regardless of the private school you end up at, and they will help you when it’s time to apply to college.

3 Likes

I think ChatGPT gave you a pretty good summary of what the folks here on CC would say. Not surprising because this was probably one of the sources it uses.

4 Likes

Thank you for your kind words! I know I’m probably overthinking it in terms of letting others down (I’m an INFJ-T in the 16 personality tests! I recommend it, it’s so fun) I think I lead by listening if that makes sense. I consider everyones ideas to make a final consensus? I’ll try to incorporate your points in my essays or interviews!

Thanks so much for the advice, I’ll try my best!

It has nothing to do with the dataset it uses, and everything to do with AI being unable - thus far - to grasp or parse the squishy stuff and extrapolate from same. The second half of what you wrote is entirely accurate however.

1 Like