So what do you do with an empty-nest?

<p>

</p>

<p>That’s what is so funny…the hikes she is remembering being so easy were truly 35-40 years ago. My kids didn’t “train” at all for our GC hike (other than to break in their hiking boots) and they all could have made the hike several hours quicker than H and I (at our “advanced” ages.) H works out a lot and has for years…but he’s on the large side…his issues on the hike were not cardio but rather knee/joint related. BIL and SIL have been overweight their entire adult lives and I don’t think they realize the strain that may have put on their knees over their years…hiking down may be easy from a cardio standpoint but it can be very painful for those with bad knees.</p>

<p>People are funny and often imagine they’re significantly “fitter” than they are and able to handle rigors of physical activity better without any untoward consequences. These are the ones who end up making unexpected visits to the docs & ERs.</p>

<p>Have never figured out how to help folks who insist they know everything. I just wait and let them figure things out themselves. No alternative anyway.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Hiking down the South Kaibab trail (the one they tell you not to hike up because there is no water available on the trail), we passed a couple of people *hiking up *who did not look well…I could tell from their coloring that their bodies were not up to the task. But they were still on their feet and I’d say a silent prayer for them as we passed. Maybe if enough people say little prayers for BIL and SIL they’ll live to tell the story!</p>

<p>OK…they’ll need to bring lots of water (even though it may be cold) and a flashlight since they’ll likely be hiking in the dark. Lots of critters come out at night and it’s harder to see the scorpions and tarantulas.
Oh…and don’t forget the credit card…I read that a helicopter rescue costs $2500
You know, it’s tempting to laugh but they really do need our prayers.
People die on that hike…even healthy young folks.<br>
[Hiker</a> dies at Grand Canyon after water runs out](<a href=“http://www.kgun9.com/Global/story.asp?S=10928646&nav=menu1456_2]Hiker”>http://www.kgun9.com/Global/story.asp?S=10928646&nav=menu1456_2)</p>

<p>I believe the Havasu Canyon trail is considered much easier and might be an option for someone who wanted part of the experience without quit as much pain (tho no water I recall anywhere on the trail).</p>

<p>The problem with hiking on a slope is that even if you can make it down, you will have to go bacu UP, which can be even more arduous. <sigh> There is no one preventing folks from making dangerous mistakes with their lives and health.</sigh></p>

<p>Right…like I said, it would be funny if it wasn’t potentialy fatal. If you decide to run the Boston Marathon and you’re not up to the task (assuming you don’t have a heart attack), when you want to quit you just stop. There is water nearby and transportation available to get you where you need to be. If you sprain or strain something, you’re on a public street and someone can easily pick you up so you can get medical attention. At the GC (or many other “natural” desinations) there is limited water and you can’t just stop hiking whereever you are…and a rescue isn’t quick or cheap.</p>

<p>I own the book about fatalities at the GC…I so did not want to be added to the next edition. (A good number of the fatalities are photograph related…folks who just have to hop over to that next rock to get the perfect shot…oops…)</p>

<p>HIMom, that would be a good option for someone who was thinking. It’s really a good lesson for all of us who are dipping our toes into new activities…maybe toe dipping is a good thing compared to a Grand Jesture. </p>

<p>May we all find a happy medium between being afraid to try something new and engaging in risky behavior!</p>

<p>I really loved our Havasu Canyon hike but know I would need to do a LOT of prep before I would even contemplate a repeat. We need to realize our bodies do age and respect limits unless we work out with a personal trainer that helps us defy age significantly (and even then, there are limits).</p>

<p>I am reasonably fit but still feel a lot more from exerting more than usual – back decades younger the body was more forgiving and the aches were minor annoyances rather than a possible trip to the doc or more they are today.</p>

<p>The worst thing about “know-it-alls” is somehow its everyone else’s fault if things don’t turn out as they envisioned it. They are great at placing the blame anywhere but on themselves.</p>

<p>Maybe there is an online forum about hiking the GC, where they can get some ideas about the difficulty?? (i.e. horror stories)?</p>

<p>Laugh at me along with me - when young and in OK shape, I decided to ahem make my H and sis, along with her little boy, hike a paltry 4 miles total, though the dunes to the lake, 2 miles along the lake, then return. HA! We took turns carrying the kid and were too tired to return. I volunteered to hike back through the dunes and get the car for the rest. Imagine Lawrence of Arabia, I felt like that - nothing but dunes in sight, sun beating down on me. Then I suddenly saw a very overweight woman in flimsy sandals. I couldn’t imagine how she had hiked to that point. That’s when I realized that she was standing on the edge of the campground, staring out at the dunes.</p>

<p>I wanted to hug her.</p>

<p>

[quote]
Maybe there is an online forum about hiking the GC, where they can get some ideas about the difficulty?? (i.e. horror stories)? [/qupte]</p>

<p>That would require her to pay attention to other people’s experiences. One thing that is so difficult about the GC is that it is very difficult to train for down if you live in fairly flat terraine. You can train for up on a stairmaster or treadmill on an incline, but not for the down part. I walked the fire stairs in my office building…the first week it killed my quads, but I was fine after that.</p>

<p>The couple we hiked Havasu Canyon with were in fairly good shape (young adults in early 20s), but they had a heck of a time, even tho my BF carried the water for all of us & he & I split up carrying the tent. They were just not fit in the way you need to be to hike down & then back up a canyon. We were surprised how pitch black it got (tho fortunately we had just reached the floor of the canyon at that point).</p>

<p>So tough when folks are stubborn and haul others along with them to imperil all of them. I know some folks very like that as well. Somehow they always point the blame away from themselves too!</p>

<p>I hope I’m allowed to do this, and I hope the link works:</p>

<p>[Slate</a> Magazine - Editorial and Political Cartoons, Comic Strips](<a href=“http://cartoonbox.slate.com/hottopic/?image=9&topicid=49]Slate”>http://cartoonbox.slate.com/hottopic/?image=9&topicid=49)</p>

<p>^^^One week later, I see the link doesn’t go to the cartoon I intended. Apologies. Nothing political intended.</p>

<p>how is everyone? i hope you’re all blissfully happy and adjusting to all of the changes. </p>

<p>i am sending off my last for his last year later this week–still waiting for the happiness fairy to bop me on the head or something…</p>

<p>wbow, the happiness fairy will bop you in the head next spring when he graduates.
There never was any doubt that my oldest would grad. on time. He was an honor student. But still I was surprised at the huge feeling of relief and happiness I felt when he crossed that stage.</p>

<p>i just can’t face an empty dinner table. i hate it. so, i guess my diet will suffer a bit as i make a whirlwind schedule of dining out so i don’t have to face it for a while. bring on pinot!</p>

<p>For me things are much better thank goodness. My D has been away for 4 weeks now and as she has gotten settled into her new life at school she has called more often, sent more text messages,etc Everything is going really well for her and I couldn’t be happier. I have started volunteering at the local food pantry 2 days a week which has helped me in many ways. My younger D has ajusted more to her sister not being here and that has also helped me feel better. I think what was getting to me the most about my D being away is not being involved in her life day to day. I know she didn’t tell me half of what was going on but she always had a lot of stuff to talk about everyday and I miss that alot.</p>

<p>I really hope things are getting better for everyone else. I think its great that we have a place to go and talk about how this is effecting us good or bad.</p>

<p>After suffering through the emptiness in the house the first year with number one, it took far less time to acclimate when number two went off…we miss them but also revel in seeing them so happy.</p>

<p>

…Enjoy it…</p>

<p>^good answer! Well…my D’s are both happy, 1st year and 3rd year but my empty nest has filled with a mother who is not well and making not so hot choices…sigh. Guess that list of fun stuff will have to wait awhile. Even though she is 2 states away its phone time and emotional energy…I know I should not feel annoyed…but honestly, I do. Having been the primary parent (despite being married) for 20 years I was really looking forward to some <em>me time</em>. Anybody else in this boat???</p>

<p>I was in somewhat of a similar situation. last year when our only child was going off to college, Husband and I planned to take a much needed vacation, after a few traumatic years of losing our parents to illnesses. It had been an emotional roller coaster and now my D was leaving. Looking forward to some alone time with hubby, my sister became gravely ill and we had to care for my nephew. I was resentful in a way because my sister has made poor choices that always lead up to her health crisis. I actually thought she was going to die and i really was not prepared to take on a younger child at that time. But if I had to I would in a heartbeat. Needles to say she is ok, lot of health issues but it is what it is.</p>