So....who has had a covid vaccine?

if only he had a real choice–had to get it to return to finish his last year of college. He originally wanted to wait until they had been out for a year. Delta has changed things.
Today he said the only symptom was the lower back , but it was getting better after he drank lots of water. I have a feeling now dehydrated himself.

2 Likes

This is me. The description of his lungs feeling funny hit home. I’ve said that nearly every day since covid hit (and often before covid if I was paranoid about getting sick before something). I usually have to talk myself down. Take a deep breath and see what really hurts - not the lungs. I can get a full breath just fine. But also, if one of my kids comes down sick, I immediately seem to have the same symptoms. :roll_eyes: I could not be a nurse.

But of course, it’s better to get him checked out.

1 Like

I used to see it at the hospital in patients who have had a heart attack before. We all get uncomfortable sensations in our chest, or get a case of indigestion now and then. For people who have had a heart attack, these normal sensations can cause them a great deal of fear and anxiety. I can totally understand it!

3 Likes

How is your son feeling?

He is much better. Luckily the symptoms wrnt away today.

12 Likes

Glad to hear that! You must be soooo relieved!! Hope he can got to college and have a good experience.

Really glad to hear that. Now he has the advantage of not having to worry about the “what ifs” with Covid since catching it is far nastier than the vaccine side effects when one “gets it” (vs being asymptomatic).

I know I’m really enjoying going around with far less worry. We’ll still mask when needed, but otherwise, our life has returned to normal.

I need some advice. D got her first vaccine dose Monday. She has allergies and carries an epi pen but has never had to use it. She was fine for the shot but on Wednesday her throat felt swollen. She had to go to the campus health clinic and they gave her Benedryl, which did not help her feel better. It was not a life-threatening thing, just uncomfortable. I was able to get her an appointment at an ent today.

The ent told her her throat looked irritated. That didn’t sound like a big deal and I thought that would ease any anxiety.

But then texted me that she forgot to pick up the medicine the doctor was going to give her. I was like, what medicine? She said it was an “anti-inflammatory…steroid…starts with a p.” I asked if it could be prednisone…That sounds right, she said…I was surprised and asked her if she told the doctor she had received the vaccine two days earlier and she said no. :unamused:

All doctors offices are closed now. My favorite pharmacist moved to a new pharmacy and no one is answering the phone at our local pharmacy now so I can’t find out the dose prescribed.

D seems to think she doesn’t need it but would a doctor prescribe a steroid if it’s optional?

What doctor would best know what dose of prednisone would interfere with her having a good immune response to the vaccine?

Obviously, her immediate health is most important. She could always figure out something later with the vaccine.

I know kids need to become responsible for their own healthcare but this is why I still like to be kept in the loop.

1 Like

At this point, I would wait until morning and call the doctors office and get new instructions on the medication and the particulars. Ask the nurse on duty that she had the vaccine a few days ago.

Honestly I’m super confused about prescribing a steroid and before I took it, I would call and be sure that is what is needed.

My throat is irritated, it’s allergy season. I have post nasal drip and while it’s annoying, it’s pretty common.

If she feels like she’s going to stop breathing tonight, tell her to go to the emergency department. Call 911. But I think it’s fine to wait until morning for more instructions

I’ve had predisone prescribed before if things got worse but don’t take unless you feel really bad. It’s not a medication I would take if I really really didn’t have to

3 Likes

Throat swelling reactions to a vaccine are usually allergy related and occur quickly rather than insidiously. That’s why they have us wait for 30 minutes after receiving the vax because that’s usually the time frame that a dangerous reaction related to breathing would occur. While I understand your concern, your daughter will most likely be absolutely fine.

If she wasn’t feeling well, especially if her breathing was impaired by throat inflammation, she would be all over getting that medicine.

I would definitely have her follow up on this-do you have a trusted family physician you could run this scenario by?

2 Likes

Thank you @deb922.

The prednisone was a bit of a shock and seemed a little overkill.

I gave her instructions for when she calls in the morning. And I already talked to her yesterday about 911 if she ever felt her breathing was affected, so I think we’re good.

Sounds like you are on top of this. Some docs are much more likely to give prednisone than others (like my old internist who finally retired).

Sounds like this is a good learning experience for your D.

1 Like

Yes. I can run it by her doctor tomorrow. She’s a good doctor, but I just don’t know if she would be the best to ask about the vaccine part.

When D described swelling low down in her throat, I didn’t know what to think. She had a throat infection earlier this summer so I thought she might be dealing with ragweed on top of some residual inflammation. I also didn’t know if her immune system getting activated by the vaccine would somehow make that feel worse. I didn’t think it was a big deal, though, and thought the ent could take a quick peek, rule out anything concerning, and give her some peace of mind.

1 Like

@deb922 @Nrdsb4 Thank you for your help the other night. I have what I think is an interesting update.

D continued to feel worse the next day and the ent took her time sending in the prescription for steroids and yesterday was uncomfortable. D called her allergist-immunologist who called in an inhaler to her local pharmacy and gave her the first appointment in the morning. After seeing her, he told her to take the steroids.

This is what he thinks is going on, he said the vaccine triggered her immune system and her pre-existing allergies which had been under control. This is consistent with comments the ent made after looking down her throat.

I was focused on ragweed, but food seems to be the problem, specifically peanuts. D has a peanut allergy but because she tolerated them, she was advised not to give up peanuts completely because doing so could cause her to have a severe reaction if she were ever exposed. Until this point, the plan worked very well. But now she will have to be very careful, especially of peanuts but everything else she has reacted to in the past.

What’s funny is that I have another D with a similar experience, but not with a vaccine but an actual illness. She was able to re-introduce foods once her immune system calmed down. Peanut allergies are a little scarier, though, and not something to take chances with.

1 Like

This makes a lot of sense to me. My daughter has allergies that get triggered but weird things. She will get rashes when that happens. She got a rash after her first Covid vaccine (like 36 hours later). Didn’t happen again with her second shot.

That IS quite interesting.

It’s always a good idea to consult a doctor whenever there is any hint of swelling in the throat, especially in someone who has allergies.

Yes, peanut allergies are really scary. I’m so thankful my kids didn’t have this because I’m naturally a worrier, and the parent in this scenario can never have total control with regard to preventing all exposures. I would probably have been a total basket case.

My other D got hives when her immune system got ramped up with illness. At the time, she often had sandwiches and a glass of milk for lunch, and had hives for desert. I was afraid she was developing a peanut issue because she loved peanut butter and jelly, but it was wheat and milk. That was difficult but manageable at home, but much harder when she would often be offered things like mac and cheese and pizza at friends’ houses. I was relieved when it settled down over time.

She did absolutely fine with the covid vaccine by the way, besides a bit of feeling sick after the second shot, and a little nausea and vomiting.

She decided to come home last night because she was uncomfortable, and there were moments when I was reminded of when my babies had croup. Not enough that I felt like she needed to go to the ER but concerning. So I ran a hot shower and made her take a steam bath, which was soothing. If I had any idea about the peanuts, I think would have worried more. But even if I took her to urgent care or the ER, they would not have known her history like the allergist. So it worked out and she was able to handle it on her own with just help from me rather than me running the show.

3 Likes

I’ve had allergic reactions before. I’ve thought that I didn’t know what was worse, the reaction or the anxiety attack about having a reaction. For me at least, they were intertwined.

Glad to hear that the mystery was solved and hope that she starts feeling better. It’s not a comfortable feeling to have a reaction.

I noticed I was most allergic late in pregnancy when I got hives just having pasta and cheese for dinner (never had a problem before or since). I decided to avoid tomatoes and cheese for the remainder of pregnancy, just in case.

I do have shellfish allergies snd am also allergic to dust & dust mites, plus bee stings and some mosquito bites.

Have been fortunate, no reactions to any shots.

1 Like