Social life without Greek at Northwestern?

The whole abolish Greek life at NU Instagram pages are so sad. I lived this reality in the 90s at my university, so I really don’t want my kids to go through this.
Why did abolition efforts fail?

However, Northwestern is really high our list.
Can a very social girl have a fun social life without being in a sorority or going to greek parties? Are frat really the primary way to have fun if you do like parties and socializing in large groups? Would a girl from a NYC feel like NU is one big drinking fest?
Thanks,

The academics are way too rigorous at NU for many students to be participating in ‘one big drinking fest’ with any regularity. The classes, vibe, and pace of academics there is intense, and can be unforgiving.

Thoughts on this and Greek life @homerdog?

3 Likes

Northwestern does have a large percentage of students in Greek Life, between 40-50%. However, that means 50-60% are not in Greek Life. Those students do have a social life!

Those in Greek Life also take studying seriously. It is not one big drinking fest for them. In fact, there is no drinking in sorority houses at all (they certainly drink out of the house, at frat parties, in bars, at parties held by non-Greek friends).

Greek members also are involved in other clubs and activities. They are in student government, sports, STEM clubs, tutoring on and off campus, in the band. The president of my daughter’s sorority (not NU) was also president of the Mechanical engineering group, was in the Society of Women Engineers, was on the jet car team, and had a 4.0 gpa. Superwoman. If OP’s child doesn’t join a sorority, she will still run into a lot of Greek members at other activities and may become involved in some of the activities even if not a member, like working on a service project or studying together at the Greek house.

3 Likes

My son is a freshman at Northwestern and has no interest in Greek life. He is, however, in a residential college and that has given him daily opportunities to connect with people or fun events to attend. He is SO happy at school because he instantly had a way to meet people.

As his mom, this is the best scenario we could have hoped for. He’s been able to find kids to hang out with and seems to be enjoying life (and getting his schoolwork done, too:)

4 Likes

Six NU frats and sororities to become university dorms - Evanston Now says that about 20% of Northwestern undergraduates are in fraternities and sororities. This is lower than the 35-40% that Northwestern Greek Life Is Imploding – Chicago Magazine says were in fraternities and sororities in 2019-2020.

1 Like

I believe those dorms were “returned” to the greek houses for this school year.

1 Like