Speech class

<p>Okay i have to take a speech class at Purdue (com 114) but I am an international student and barely have experience with giving speeches. I am very nervous about it( its actually an understatement) . So can anyone tell me how long is a speech supposed to be . And what is covered in a speech class? Do u give impromptu speeches or prepared speeches? Even if u r not from Purdue its okay, any help would be much appreciated.</p>

<p>Sent from my GT-I9100 using CC</p>

<p>COM 114 isn’t bad. Your writing gives me the impression that you have a good grasp on English, so I hope not the issue you’re worry about as an international student. The whole point of a class is that material will be taught for you to learn. Some students have done presentations before, but in COM 114, there are specific guidelines that you’ll have to follow when giving a speech. It is an introductory level course, so the instructor will not expect you to show up on the first day and know what to do. The point is to learn it and demonstrate your understanding of the material as the course progresses. As for the layout of the course, you’ll give longer and longer speeches (starting with 3 minutes and working up to 6 minutes and a group presentation). You will find that regardless of nationality, most students have never been exposed to the style of speech delivery that you’ll be learning in 114. And also regardless of nationality, some people are going to be awful speakers (with nerves being the biggest reason for student struggles).</p>