Spelman?

<p>I am a senior, an I am applying to Spelman. I show a lot of passion through my application, even though I had less than stellar grades (those were explained in my recommendations from Guidance Counselor and teacher). But life goes on. My recommendations explained all that I have had to go through during my high school years, such as having a terminally ill father and a mother who has been intstutionalized three times, and also a breast cancer survivor. This is on top of my own kidney disease that I have been born with.It has been hard generally thoughout my life with both households, except before high school I was a perfect student getting mostly A+'s and always getting the best grades in my class, but as I got to high school, things had gotten worse. It has been hard throughout high school, especially last year, because there would be times in which both households were not exactly the greatest for me to live in, so it was really a struggle. I had even applied to boarding school last year with the help from my cousin, because I had needed to get away. (I didn't end up getting in, because they do not normally except seniors ever). So, my low GPA (3.0 out of 4, and 3.5 out of 5), has been explained. I have taken a total of 8 regular college preporatory courses, 17 honors, and one AP (World History). </p>

<p>I have excellent extracurricular activites, (Violin since third grade, part of string orchestra, pit orchesta for musicals, and full orchestra, also junior year I was member of the music honors society. I have also been a copy editor for the school paper in tenth grade, and contributing writer in 11th and 12 grades. Ever article I have written for the paper has been published, and our paper has won an Honorable Mention each of the last four years at the annual conference of the New England Scholastic Press Association. I am also president/creator of my high school STAND chapter, which is an antigenocide coalition) My volunteering hours have been about 220 altogether. I guess my point is that I believe that intellectually I am far above my peers at school, and clearly my grades do not reflect this, although they are explained. My SAT score was 1720 out of 2400, so that was not too great either, however my essays I feel are the strongest part of my application. </p>

<p>I show my mature and intellectual ability through my writing, and I hope the admissions officers can see this. My parents seem convinced I will not get in ANYWHERE. I also had interviews at Wellesley and an alumna interview for Bryn Mawr. My Wellesley inteview went well, and my Bryn Mawr interview went great and it lasted an hour! I have a Smith interview next week with a volunteer from the Black Alumni of Smith College Association, which should go very well. I have also requested a uchicago alumni interview. </p>

<p>I am taking the Feb ACT (I scored perfect on the science section practice test, and 33 out of 36 on the math). I seem to do well on the act practice tests. Normally on standardized test practice I do the same on the practice as I do on the actual test. I will most likely be in the range of a composite score of somwhere around 31-33 out of 36. How much do you think this will help me? </p>

<p>My recommendations in general are very strong. I have my current Russian Lit teacher writing one, of whom I have one of the highest grades in his class, and my spanish teacher of whom I had for two years in high school. My Guidance counselor said she really advocated for me and wrote a very strong recommendation, and said that there is a lot of unmet potential that has been met during high school. She had written to the colleges that I would do very well at their schools.</p>

<p>My personal statement is very good as well. Do you think I could get into Spelman?</p>

<p>You will defiantly get accepted. I did and I don’t come close to you in terms of academics or community service (:
It’s an amazing school. I wish you luck.</p>

<p>Thanks for the post!</p>

<p>@2015Hopeful, just wanted to know if you got accepted into Spelman if you don’t mind me asking? I applied there also!</p>

<p>yaaaay hopefully we can be at spelman together! make sure you come back with your results hun!! i’m sure you got in!</p>