SPILL M2CK... (regarding The Honors College)

<p>Over a month ago now, you mentioned to expect some exciting changes to the honors program. Are you in a position you can give us any more information, or maybe even a time line?</p>

<p>I can’t say yet…</p>

<p>I’m wondering if some of the delay is because of needing various signatures…or perhaps they’re waiting for the “next round” of registration (which will be in late Oct/early Nov)…</p>

<p>The change aren’t BIG…they’re just to make certain things easier…and to make the HC more well-rounded with academics, social, research, etc.</p>

<p>. . . waiting impatiently. From what M2CK has said, it sounds like it’s all positive. I’m anxious to hear also.</p>

<p>I’ve been wondering about this too. I know that the IHP is having their annual meeting this week (maybe next week? Can’t remember what D told me) and I was wondering if they were going to share any new news then.</p>

<p>Chatted with D this evening & I asked her how the IHP meeting went. She said it was fine and that they mentioned that they’ve modified the study abroad requirements so that 2 summer abroad programs will now fulfill suffice. I just looked on the website and saw this:
d. Study abroad (minimum 2 summers or 1 semester and 6 credits earned while overseas). </p>

<p>I also saw this:
c. Two International Honors by Contract courses (covering international material) which I don’t remember from before. </p>

<p>Any insight?</p>

<p>I’m disappointed that they’ve continued the 2 summers req’t. I think that’s too much for many kids. Engineering students can’t often do a semester req’t, and doing 2 summers can be quite expensive.</p>

<p>Well, I believe that is still a change downward; didn’t it used to be a minimum of 10-12 weeks? Participating in 2 summer programs with a 6 credit earned minimum could take as little as a faculty led 4 week program plus a 1 week Alabama Action Abroad program, no?</p>

<p>^^^
Yes, possibly…didn’t think about a one week AA abroad…was more thinking of two 6 week req’ts…which could get quite pricey…</p>

<p>The issue I see with the change to the UHP requirements is that one could have completed the 10 week requirement with a single summer program as long as one earned 6 credits and was out of the US for 10 weeks as the [old] requirements did not say that one had to be on a study abroad program for the entire time, they just had to be outside of the US for 10+ weeks.</p>

<p>For those able to do two summer study abroad programs that aren’t a combined 10 weeks long, this is a nice change. I’d also like to see UA start December study abroad programs similar to those offered in May.</p>

<p>Alabama at Oxford and the Alabama in Italy programs are both only 4 weeks long. Before this, doing these 2 programs would still not be long enough to fulfill the IHP requirement. I think this just opens up a lot more possibilities for those students who couldn’t get away for a whole semester.</p>

<p>What is the Alabama in Italy program? Can you provide a link?</p>

<p>Well, one change is for the AA Abroad programs this May. I know they ar doing 3 instead of just one… and one will be done in an English speaking country. Daughter Kari is one of the student leaders planning the trips. Last I heard, Costa Rica (with Dr. Sharp), and Peru were in the mix.</p>

<p>Mom of Four: The list for Alabama Action Abroad, from what I’ve heard from my son (who was on that trip in May with your daughter) is Costa Rica, Peru and Belize.</p>

<p>It looks like many of the various programs don’t have their brochures/prices up for next summer…I think some get posted later in the fall.</p>

<p>There are 3 different Italy programs</p>

<p>*UA in Italy: Art History Florence
Rome
Venice
Italy</p>

<p>Here’s a listing of many/most programs
<a href=“https://ua.studioabroad.com/index.cfm?FuseAction=Programs.ListAll[/url]”>https://ua.studioabroad.com/index.cfm?FuseAction=Programs.ListAll&lt;/a&gt;
Italy
Italy
Europe
Europe
Europe</p>

<p>*UA in Italy: Business Florence
Milan
Rome
Venice
Italy
Italy
Italy
Italy
Europe
Europe
Europe
Europe</p>

<p>*UA in Italy: Language & Culture Florence
Italy
Europe</p>

<p><a href=“https://ua.studioabroad.com/[/url]”>https://ua.studioabroad.com/&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>Possibly is Peru, Costa Rica and Belize. The National language of Belize is English…</p>

<p>My daughter wants to know how to find out more information about Alabama Action Abroad? We can’t find anything on the web - maybe we are looking in the wrong place? Or should she just go over to the Honors College office and ask?</p>

<p>This was posted on daughter Kari’s facebook . . .so the next “Interest” meeting is this upcoming Tuesday</p>

<p>Alabama Action Abroad Interest Meeting
Time: Tuesday, 27 September 2011 18:00</p>