Sports/Acitvity Section Help

I participated in crew all four years of high school and it is my first activity, in the description I put that I am a 3x int. Competition finalist (I can use “int.” Right?) and a state and county varsity champion, is this not specific enough? Should I use the add’l info section to put my specific wins? Instead of champion should I put first place? I put this information in my resume next to my awards as well.

To me, it’s unclear what “int.” means? I’m guessing international, but it could be intermediate. “Intl” would be a clearer abreviation for international.

2 Likes

Are you a crew recruit and applying ED to a school with support ? Or are you not continuing with crew and asking so that an AO that is not associated with the sport understands - if that is the case, I think your time commitment and how you contributed to the team is the most important piece of information you need to get across and then you can add significant wins, as space allows.

If you are a crew recruit, I presume the college coach already knows about your accomplishments, so I would still advise you keep it about your weekly time commitment, team contributions and add a few significant wins/accomplishments.

As a crew parent of a college athlete, I do not understand what you mean by Int (international) - does that mean you made the US National Team, won junior nationals or maybe you live in another country and this means something different. Your race results are unclear and need to be more specific, imo - if you feel it important to show your results.

1 Like

It’s not to be recruited, just to show the time I put and how I excelled. I changed int. To intl., and I am referencing the Stotesbury cup which has people competing from both the US and Canada. How do you think I could make my results more clear? Or do you think it doesn’t matter since I don’t intend to row as a recruit?

Also if intend do join club/intramural crew in college should I check off that I intend to continue this activity in college?

1 Like

Stotesbury Cup sounds cool–I’d try to use that. Not sure I would bother to call it “international” though. I know Canadians compete but I would not necessarily use up characters on trying to communicate that.

Generally, for non-recruited athletes I think you really can just think in terms of highlights, team and/or individual. Sometimes you can tell a little story of personal development and progress. Sometimes it involves leadership. Whatever you view as your highlights is fine.

Yes, definitely.

I would use largest high school regatta in North America if you want to include. I do think it is more important to highlight your commitment to the sport - ie: # of hours, did you mentor new rowers, did you advance from the 3V to the 1V etc, did you set up for practices, set up, pack out at regattas, assist coach in anyway etc… show your involvement and how you contributed to the community with results being less relevant for a non recruited athlete, imo.

1 Like