St Andrew's School, Delaware

I just got into SAS and I couldn’t be happier!

@misslilbookworm How were you able to access the decision?

I got the package today, but the email decisions are coming out tomorrow.

You’re going to love SAS. How did you explain to your family that you preferred SAS to Groton, @misslilbookworm ?

My dad’s whole family went to Groton, so when we started it seemed obvious that I would follow and go to Groton. However, family friends suggested SAS and I fell in love with the school.

My mom was always a little hesitant about boarding school and Groton for reasons I will not mention, and when we went for the tour the two of us loved everything we saw.

My dad was definitely swayed by the AO, (who rocked!). He was a little starry eyed (as was I) after actually visiting Groton, because of the history he has with it. I also told him exactly what I loved about it so much. After talking to people who went to SAS, he said that he fully supported me. The best reason, he said, to go to a school was because you loved it and could succeed there, not because family went there.

We love everything that we’ve heard about the school. I’m really looking forward to going!!

We’re telling my current school that I’m not returning on Monday morning, and then they can give my spot up.

We loved the culture at SAS… very similar to the culture at my kid’s school.

@misslilbookworm Congratulations on SAS! I loved your post. Too often, boarding school decisions get made for the wrong reasons; so it’s refreshing to see “fit” play the role it should. Kudos to Dad for supporting you. SAS is an incredibly well-loved school for good reason. You will have a wonderful experience.

We can’t wait to visit SAS on our summer tour this year!!!

I am a current parent with a new student this year, and I know that this is an exciting/stressful couple of weeks. Going through this process, you try to do everything you can to support your kid to make the best decision about if/which boarding school. At the end of the day though, it feels like a giant leap dropping off on the first day, and I felt like I was holding my breath the first few weeks. One of my main concerns about SAS was that it was too good to be true, but in the first six plus months, it has exceeded expectations. They walk the talk in a very real and tangible way.

A huge thank you to Seekers and SevenDad who were very helpful answering questions and providing information during the decision process (and after)! I am happy to do the same.

Its been almost two years since our son graduated from SAS. He’s doing great in college, academically and socially. He decided to attend a small, well known Liberal Arts College that is culturally similar to SAS (he’s a science major). For those considering applying to SAS, please know that we cannot say enough positive things about the school. Entering college, our son was well prepared academically and lightyears ahead of other college freashmen in adjusting to dorm life, the honor code, and away-from-home school-life in general. Even little things like doing his own laundry was a plus. This head-start gave him plenty of confidence and turned him into something of a natural leader on dorm, as other students looked to benifit from his experience and example. All things that he learned at SAS. If you have the opportunity, don’t miss it. You won’t regret it. It’s a gift.

@exeover Might you be willing to share the namr of the LAC that is culturally similar and strong in Science?

Speaking of science and SAS…

7D1 (Class of 2015) had Harvey Johnson for AS Chemistry and was inspired by him in many ways — including his path: from SAS to UD (for ChemE) to Berkeley (for his PhD). A few years later and she’s on a similar path, from SAS to UD (also for ChemE), and will be headed to a top 5 university for her PhD, where she’ll be an NSF Graduate Research Fellow.

I think seeing what Dr. Johnson went on to do after graduating from SAS and then UD played a role in her choosing Delaware over Carnegie Mellon when it came to college. As I mentioned in another thread, your kids get taught by people, not buildings or institutional reputations.

In related news, we’re looking forward to attending the grand re-opening of Amos (SAS’s STEM building) in the Fall.

Go Saints!

Just a quick thanks to @SevenDad… Thanks to all your cheerleading about SAS, my 7th grader and I went to visit for a ‘preview tour’ yesterday! We were both very impressed, and had a wonderful time. My DS still isn’t sure he wants to go to a BS, but for the first time he’s really starting to see the appeal.

And on a funny note…our freshman tour guide was blown away when DS mentioned he fences; he had never met anyone who fences and thought it was incredibly cool! DS is a very casual fencer, and uninterested in competing, so the lack of fencing at SAS is not a dealbreaker. If his younger brother (5th grade) ever decides he wants to go to BS, that may be more of an issue, because he is a competitive fencer. So I’ve been reading your posts with great interest!

@JustWinginIt: So glad that my advocacy for the school here on CC was helpful to you and your family.

I think at one point there had been a fencing club at SAS — maybe it’s time to start one up again?

If you have an interest in fencing, hopefully you’ve seen the College Fencing Recruiting thread that I’ve been more involved with in recent years in the Athletic Recruits subforum? While it’s still early days for your 5th grader, I think that thread is worth a look before he graduates middle school. College fencing is more fun than the USA Fencing circuit, IMO. My non-SASer is just about done with her first year at a selective D1 school, and we had a great time rooting for the team. Almost as fun as hanging out on Alumni Point for an SAS regatta! :wink:

Now that my older girl is a few years out of SAS, my info is not as up to date…but this thread is in good hands with current/more current parents.

How many new 10th graders does SAS accept?

We can’t wait for our SAS visit in May!

@pendulum, the number of slots for 10th grade varies year to year, in correlation with fluctuations of yield in the prior year’s class.

The average number of 10th grade slots might be around 10 or so (and about the same selectivity as the 9th grade). This year had a high yield and a very strong 9th grade class, so the actual number for next year might be as low as 3-6 10th grade slots.

Most transfers wonder what it will be like to come in “late” to such a close knit community, so for years I’ve checked in with transfer students and their families to ask how their assimilation process went. Everyone I’ve asked has been thrilled, and said it was a quick and seamless transition. Transfers give rave reviews to how readily they are welcomed and embraced within the community.

If you like what you hear about the place, and the themes expressed in all their materials… you will absolutely love the reality. It is a unique and wonderful place, that “walks the talk” or lives it values in a way that few organizations could hope to achieve. (Conversely, for any other potential applicants reading this: If the materials don’t excite you, don’t bother applying… though, I hope that’s a pretty obvious rule of thumb.)

Happened to find myself a few miles away from SAS today so pulled a driveby on Middletown and campus. Wow the town changed a lot in the 9 or so years since we first visited SAS. I mean, there is like, more than one hotel now! And so many more restaurant/shopping options! We went to the poke bowl chain that opened up.

Campus was as gorgeous as ever. We will definitely try to visit when Amos (the science building) is reopened.

Only a 16% acceptance rate for the 2019-2020 SAS school year.

Was on campus last night with my 2015 graduate for an event celebrating the re-opening of SAS’s science building, Amos Hall (now also known as the Siprelle Math & Science Center).

The renovation has truly breathed new life into the home of STEM at SAS. I really don’t know how they managed to maintain the footprint of the existing building yet transform it wholly. Where there were once dark, cramped hallways, now there is an abundance of light and air. A feeling of space. My daughter, who graduated from one of the country’s top undergrad Chemical Engineering programs claimed that the labs seemed to be as good or better than those she had access to in college — and even now in grad school.

But perhaps even more delightful than seeing this most recent upgrade to the St. Andrew’s campus was reconnecting with some of my daughter’s former STEM (and non-STEM) teachers as well as Head of School Tad Roach and other SAS folks. I also enjoyed meeting some of the Class of 2020 at dinner…great group of kids. We all shared stories of how each of our families discovered SAS and why they selected the school from their various options.

Go Saints!