Stanford vs Harvard for Quant (Math+CS)

My son could narrow down his list of really great acceptances to these two. He is strong in both math and CS, and also loves discussing politics/current events (not necessarily from a major perspective). We are really 50:50 between these two. We know Stanford CS is best, but for quantitative analysis, Harvard could be stronger (close tie with Jane Street, etc.). From prestige-wise, Harvard probably has an edge, but Stanford stands out as a modern and nice campus and near to all tech companies. Heā€™ll probably end up doing a Ph.D. or more before joining academia/industry. Any help or similar examples would be great. BTW, heā€™ll visit both the schools on their admitted students days (end of April, too close to the decision day). We really appreciate the wisdom of CC members and any suggestions are welcome to help us choose between these.

If he does a PhD, it doesnā€™t matter. Even if he doesnā€™t, it doesnā€™t matter. Where would he rather spend the next four years?

7 Likes

Yes, thatā€™s the question.

The answer is would he rather live in Cambridge or Palo Alto for the next 4 years. The academic opportunities are a wash.

3 Likes

These are both excellent schools. It is not an easy choice. I will try to think of whatever comes to mind and whatever differences might matter to your son.

Harvard and Stanford are two of the top four universities in the US for mathematics (along with MIT and Princeton). They are both excellent (as are the other two). I agree that Stanford is better for CS.

Academically either one would be a lot of work, and would be excellent for a student who is ready to work hard. Either one is going to keep being a lot of work for a full four years with very little in the way of a break.

Reputation wise either one is superb.

Personally the combination of math plus CS is very appealing (I was a math major and took quite a bit of CS, but a long time ago).

Harvard is in the middle of Harvard Square, where there is a lot to do. Stanford is in a somewhat more suburban area. There are a lot of high tech jobs near Stanford, but not the same social activities as in Harvard Square. San Francisco is far enough away that I do not recall going there more than once or twice while I was a student at Stanford.

Stanford has better weather, if you are okay with sunshine (I was there during a drought).

Harvard is on the semester system. Stanford is on the quarter system. With the quarter system the end of the quarter comes up more quickly than you expect. Then finals are over and you get a new set of classes. I liked the quarter system, but I was there when I was older (graduate school) and mature enough to never fall behind. You do not want to fall behind on the quarter system, and classes are going to go fast at either of these excellent universities.

I am inclined to agree with @Eeyore123. Where does your son want to live for four years?

2 Likes

Iā€™m in line with these two great posters. Neither is better generically, for CS or Math. One will be better for your student. Thatā€™s where they should go. It may be something as simple as weather or campus beauty and that is ok. Theyā€™ll be fine at either and should choose the one they are most excited about.

2 Likes

It has been a couple of years since he had to make the same decision but you might look through some of the threads by @GoBears2023. In the end, he felt more comfortable at one than the other. Attend the admitted student days and see which community/college culture your son feels more comfortable with.

1 Like

No question - Stanford for CS. Despite their claims, Harvardā€™s CS is not even close. However, if your son would prefer to focus on math, then, depending on the type of math, Harvard could be the better choice.

Both Harvard and Stanford are excellent. and the choice is not easy to make. But Stanford is better in my openion.
Regards

Roti Bank.

1 Like

Itā€™s time to move from abstract/generalizations (eg, ā€˜could be stronger b/c of ā€¦ā€™) to the reality for your son.

Your son will not be able to maximize all of the opportunities available at either place: there are simply too many! If something that is stronger at the other place becomes interesting he will be able to make that opportunity (in your example, H may have close ties with Jane Street, but he can get an internship there from Stanford just fine- if thatā€™s what he wants at the time. And, the differences in prestige- especially for somebody looking at academia are angels-on-the-head-of-a-pin level of distinction.

What is not theoretical is the four years of lived experience, which is why most of the posters are (in various ways) saying: trust your son. Let him make the call as to which place feels like his place. This is a great opportunity to encourage him to trust himself: there is no objectively ā€˜right/wrongā€™ or ā€˜better/worseā€™ choice.

6 Likes