Stanford vs UPenn Huntsman vs UC Berkeley for International Econ/Finance or Econ Forecasting/modelling?

I have currently narrowed down my options to these three final choices, but honestly I am so unsure which one to choose. All of them have basically equal pros and cons, so I’m mainly curious on how the programs match up academically and in terms of job placement. I really don’t want to do grad school.

Lmk if you have any questions that you’d like me to clarify, but I would really love to hear your guys’ opinions on what you would choose.

What is the cost to attend each school annually, and is cost important/impactful to you?

I don’t know which of these has the strongest programs, but they are all obviously extremely strong academically.

You’ll probably receive better career counseling/services at Penn and Stanford than you would at Berkeley… but at what price? You’ll have to hustle regardless.

Penn and Stanford place very well on Wall Street and related vocations, if that’s your desired destination and/or field.

But academically – all will be great, top-shelf. So if I were in your shoes, I would choose based on fit variables like curriculum, available courses, campus and surrounding environment, social vibe, housing/food (the importance of where you’ll eat and sleep is often underestimated), location, and cost.

It might do some good to do a sample four-year course plan for each school, and choose based on the one that most intrigues you. That, at least, would be a good way to discover the best academic fit.

Job placement order would be Stanford, then Penn, then Berkeley.

I looked at OPs previous history to see if they were a CA resident for Berkeley (they are). They have a couple of other threads with additional information. Thread 1, Thread 2. It also looks like OP may have applied ED to UPenn. Is that the case @zehraurhan ?

1 Like

If that is the case the thread should be locked

that is false. i was thinking about it, but I did not due to being unsure about financial aid from penn

1 Like

This analysis, which is based on faculty scholarship, may offer you perspective on the economics departments of these schools: Economics rankings: US Economics Departments | IDEAS/RePEc.

OP has been admitted to the Penn Huntsman program - a coordinated dual degree b/t Wharton and the college featuring language and international business. There really is no homologue for this degree at Stanford (maybe Berkeley too) so this person specifically sought this out. S/he really isn’t comparing economics departments. It’s a matter of what type of degree OP wants.

There are no bad choices here, but If studying finance and looking to be in international finance, the Penn Huntsman degree is the best choice. Do you want to enjoy the the beautiful weather of Palo Alto for 4 years or live in West Philly?

3 Likes

Huntsman is an interesting program. However, if you want to get into econometric forecasting/modeling, you may not have room for all of the extra math, stats, and econometrics class that you need. This is especially true since you say that you do not want to go to grad school.