Sticking Together?

<p>When students first go off to college they are usually far away from home and uncomfortable. In order to feel more comfortable or feel at home, do you or do you know of anyone who only hang out with others of the same race, religion, etc.? Some peope only hang out with a certain group of people and limit themselves.</p>

<p>I’m the type of person that will hang out with anyone. If anyone from CC goes to college with me, they will see lol. I’m that person in the mall that will stop and say, “Hey. I’m Brittany! I like your shirt.” I just love meeting new people, PR is my future.</p>

<p>If I wanted to go somewhere where everyone has the same thoughts, mentality, and ideas, i’d go to a Christian College (no offense to anyone who is). College is the period between your maturation as an adult and getting properly prepped before entering the workforce. If you stick around the same types of people for 4 years, you’ll never truly learn how to have any proper life skills of any kind. I see too many people at my school do that (granted, we’re about 97% Caucasian) but its pretty much going to hurt more than help. One of my main goals in college is to join a club that will teach me about other cultures and meet people with different perspectives on life. So, no homogenizing for me! :)</p>

<p>Homogenization=bad unless it’s my milk.
But yeah, it’s good to branch out, meet new people with different interests. Diversity does NOT always mean racial diversity; there are a variety of different ways to measure it, from one’s studies to one’s ECs. It’s better to get out there in college so that you won’t be looking like boo boo the fool in the workforce.</p>

<p>Im not in college yet, but when I get there honestly I hope to have alot of different trypes of friends, like now. Friends to hang with, study with, party with, etc… I still cant wait. Only 8 months left!</p>

<p>Most people do hangout in groups of people who are similar to themselves, especially so in college, where the environment allows one to be discriminating and still have a large group of friends.
Nonetheless, I don’t think I’d be like that in college. I have had, over the years, probably two friends who were like me in background and belief, and they were not very close to me. My best friends have been secularly Jewish, white, Chinese, atheist, Muslim, Turkish, etc, etc., things that I am not. I like it like that.</p>

<p>^I completely agree. There’s just a lot of self-segregation in college.</p>

<p>Research indicates that black students at mainstream colleges have a more diverse group of friends than white students do at such colleges. Because black people aren’t fungible, people tend to notice them when they sit together, etc., but people tend not to notice that most white people are doing the same.</p>

<p>Once I was visiting Harvard as an alum, and was meeting with black students in a dorm cafeteria. Our table probably stood out because it was all black, but most of the tables around us were all white. Meanwhile, students of different races kept stopping at our table to talk to the black students about various organizations the students were involved in. While the black students happened to be sitting together that one time, in general they were very integrated into the college, including by holding leadership positions in mainstream organizations.</p>