Strong academic record [3.9, 1510/34] but light on EC’s [most likely political science or business; IL resident; <$50k]

Probably about as official as you can get:

But it is possible that a college uses a different concordance compared to that from the ACT and SAT test providers. (This appeared to be the case for California State Universities before they went test-blind.)

Yes, for both IU and UofI, if you want to be in business, apply for direct admit. Both have pathways once you are enrolled, but the smoothest way in is direct admit.

Pitt is also rolling admit with a direct admit business school. Check out the CC threads for this past year to see when people started posting acceptances.

If your son is thinking poly sci, it is worth digging to find out if it is possible to do both business and poli sci at these universities. Poly sci is likely in a different school (liberal arts) than business, and the liberal arts program may have completely different required courses. Some universities make it easier to double-major across schools than others. Often business programs are made up of practical and functional classes (by function I mean finance, operations, marketing, etc.). But you might be able to plug in poly sci as electives.

Also worth noting, you can get to a business career without being a business major. If business classes don’t sound interesting, don’t major in business.

1 Like

1510 is the highest total score.

That would be fantastic, but, according to Naviance, GT shows no love to kids applying from his high school.

GT doesn’t show much love to anyone OOS. Acceptance rate was 13% last cycle. It’s a reach but a lot of schools should be considered a reach if you need considerable merit.

The process pretty much went as expected for both sons. We did a fair amount of research so their lists were reasonable. That said, there were a couple of curveballs. Schools he thought would offer more merit didn’t. He also got an offer or two that wasn’t expected.

1 Like

Hope your son ended up at a school both your son and your wallet can enjoy.

UT Austin, specifically their Plan II Honors Program | Liberal Arts | UT - Austin might be worth a look. There are ways to get the price in your range and plan2 would likely feel like a small/medium school within the much larger UT.

1 Like

I don’t see why he needs to do any more testing. His friend got a 1540 and he got a 1510? I hope he spends his time and energy on something else…maybe a summer job :slight_smile:

5 Likes

UT Austin for OOS has 8% acceptance rate. It needs to fill each class with 90% Texas Residents. Also limited merit money unless you’re lucky enough to get one of the 40 Acres scholarships.

1 Like

I understand most, if not all, well known large public flagships have state legislated mandates to accept 80-90% from their own state.

In many cases, yes, but note that UVa is roughly 1/3 OOS.

I have stared for hours at Naviance scattergrams for the last five years and I can count on one hand the number of kids from his hs accepted at UT, UVA, UNC. UCLA does a little better and Michigan attracts huge numbers but acceptance rate is around 10%. And I consider his high school to be in top 10 large publics in the nation.:pensive:

Your son’s stats and ECs are similar to my S23’s. If it’s any help to you, here was his list of acceptances and all but one came in well under 50K COA after merit:

Denison (COA 55K after 25K merit, the lone exception)
Wooster
Dickinson
Allegheny
Hobart & William Smith
Rollins
Ohio Wesleyan
Kalamazoo
U Pitt
U Alabama

Scanning through this thread I didn’t see any mention of Kalamazoo, but if your son is thinking of majoring in a liberal arts subject it’s a strong college that’s only about an hour away from your location. I agree with other posters that he shouldn’t need to try to generate additional ECs at this point. There are plenty of strong colleges that will want him as-is.

5 Likes

UGA is roughly 50 percent out of state and Georgia Tech is about 30 percent. Both would fall within your budget. UVA would be more expensive - 75 K cost of attendance according to their website -plus there is secondary admission into the business school.

Edited to add I meant that as a reply to the OP.

It’s $80K/yr to go to Denison?? My god…

Thank you for the list!

This is true, but the honors programs are the equalizers. They do not have the same overall requirement that the larger university does. For S21 in Turing, and from what I have heard of other programs, there is a much better balance with in and out of state than with the University as a whole.

Agreed, but gaining in state tuition is possible and would bring the total COA well under 50K per year on average.

May I ask how does an OOS’er get to pay in-state tuition at UT?

This is a great program! I know someone who did it.

University of Colorado usually has about 40% OOS students, but very little merit aid for them, I think.