Strong academic record [3.9, 1510/34] but light on EC’s [most likely political science or business; IL resident; <$50k]

UT is overused. Funny that the two popular UT’s both have clear paths to residency. Utah was listed above, here is the one for Texas: Texas Residency | Undergraduate Admissions | The University of Texas at Austin
Specifically the portion regarding Establishing Domicile. It’s not easy, but it is straightforward and from what I have heard, the success rate is close to 100% for those that follow the steps.
The most common path is for the student to purchase a condo that can be rented or lived in. There are real estate agents that specialize in helping students throughout the process: Texas Residency Info | Tower Realty Austin | Austin Texas
My S21 did not purchase a residence, but worked and owned a business in Texas to gain residency.

UGA aims for only 20% outside of Georgia. From a recent admissions blog (with results for this year):
“UGA is the flagship institution for the state of Georgia, and as such our goal is to enroll a class that is roughly 80% Georgians. This is an enrollment number, not an admission offer number, but it does mean that our admission offers are more heavily Georgian than non Georgian.”

It’s a fantastic school, imo, but it’s becoming a tougher admit for OOS.

1 Like

Acceptance rate to Denison this year was 17% . . . and it’s pretty much $80k full pay to most private schools these days. Some out of state publics will be lower and some private schools in need of students will be lower, but tuition is generally around $60k and room and board between $15-20k at most private schools, regardless of “ranking.”

As a middle class doughnut hole family, our kids’ search was shaped by finances. One went to major midwest public flagship, out of state, which was still much cheaper than full pay at a private university. The other went to Denison, with significant merit award. Both had amazing academic experiences and were well-launched for their careers.

1 Like

Thanks for correcting me. I think maybe I was confusing the out of state acceptance rate with the number of out of state students. My bad. Nonetheless, UGA would be an affordable match school for Ops son.

Edited to add: No doubt the acceptance rate has gone down this cycle as well

1 Like

So tonight at dinner DW and I had heaped all kinds of praise on S24 for his great and improved SAT score. After we had thought he had been sufficiently buttered up and ready to talk about school selection, I’d asked h if he had a list of college prospects to visit in June in the South. So he bangs out this list on the iPad in 20 seconds

Georgetown
Duke
UVA
UNC
Richmond
William and Mary
College of Charleston
Virginia Tech
U of SC
Emory

I told him he has a good shot to get in one or two schools on the list and we can afford to pay for the same one or two schools. He says - but Georgetown has 14% admission rate and my GC said I should look at schools that admit in the 10-20% range. Now I do not know if his counselor said it exactly like that, but if the kid thinks he can go after Georgetown’s and Dukes with his stats AND we will pay those tuitions , it’s going to be a long and winding college search road. Buckle up mom and dad🤪

2 Likes

UGA announced this year that they are committed to 80% in state this year and going forward. They’ve never been 50% out of state. I think the lowest they’ve been in recent memory was last year, where it was 26% out of state. This triggered the 80% rule.

You are correct that Georgia Tech is 30% out of state, not including 10% international. Honestly I think UGA’s response regarding in-state students is related to the high level of out-of-state students taken by Georgia tech. There’s been some push back on that. In terms of actual student numbers, OOS students at both schools are roughly the same for entering freshmen.

2 Likes

Agree the list is essentially comprised of reaches, which means all except College of Charleston and South Carolina (perhaps Richmond and VT) are in all likelihood a crapshoot. For no reason other than it is demoralizing to get rejection after rejection, I agree with you that the lists need some modifications :slight_smile:

And I don’t think there’s really any student that should target 10% to 20% admit rate schools as the bulk of their list. Hopefully that’s not what the college counselor said!

4 Likes

Based off the list he shared, I’d really take a good look at Christopher Newport, which I mentioned earlier. It would be an extremely likely admit, sticker price is within budget, seems aligned with his size preferences (about 4500 undergrads), and is the more accessible (and less expensive) Virginia liberal arts school (in comparison with William & Mary). And it’s only a 31m drive from William & Mary, so if you’re seeing the one campus, it’d be easy to add on the other.

There’s an honors program as well as the President’s Leadership Program which is for students with previous leadership experience, but also, “Some may have never thought of themselves as leaders, but are prepared to learn more and challenge themselves,” which might be a good fit for your son, as his academic prowess might get him some additional attention and opportunities that his ECs wouldn’t be able to get him.

The political science department offers a major in poli sci, but also offers minors in human rights and conflict resolution as well as national security studies. There are also various non-class opportunities that would meld well with your son’s interests: Beyond the Classroom - Department of Political Science - Christopher Newport University. There’s a Hillel on campus, too, though it doesn’t look like it’s a sizeable percentage of the student body. And the Hampton Roads area of Virginia is most definitely not rural.

3 Likes

This reminds me of my son whipping out his color coded chart :slight_smile:

1 Like

@AustenHut, I really appreciate your thoughtful posts, the breadth and depth of your knowledge about college opportunities are simply amazing.

Could you, or anyone else with knowledge and experience, recommend a school(s) that would have a program or offer a degree that blends poli sci and international relations with business and economics, maybe something like major-minor combo? Apologies if I missed any suggestions that may have been previously mentioned here. A big bonus is if the school fits in our budget. Thank you!

He may want to see if Philosophy, politics and economics (PPE ) is appealing to his interests. It is an interdisciplinary degree which combines study from the three disciplines.

The most well-known is at Oxford Univ, but a good many US schools offer it as well, including schools suggested in this thread like Denison, URichmond, UAlabama-Birmingham, George Mason. (edit: list of all in link below… assuming this site is up to date)

3 Likes

Awesome, thank you!

My kid is a decent test taker too, but after kid took one practice ACT, they saw what they needed to do to self prep, brouggt it up from maybe a 31 to a 36. Other kid did about 8 hrs math review and raised math score by over 100 points. He really should do this.

1 Like

I am not sure exactly what you are looking for, but William and Mary’s International Relations major is interdisciplinary and combines economics, sociology, government and history. Students are able to combine that with a double major or a minor in business. I would think that there would be a lot of schools where your son could do something similar.

3 Likes

CLEG at American U may also be a fit

1 Like

Lots of schools have PPE majors, from Pitt to Michigan to Princeton.

1 Like

Don’t know for sure, but you might be able to find combinations like this at the University of Denver, where international relations and business are both strengths. They give pretty good merit aid, as well.

1 Like

I would look at South Carolina’s International Business program. Business, foreign language, and overseas cohort programs. Add a second major in poli sci or policy.

https://sc.edu/study/majors_and_degrees/international_business.php

1 Like

I will deliver this message next week after AP exams are behind him :grin:

Thank you all, all these programs sound interesting.and challenging.

1 Like