Stupid question - I apologize in advance!

<p>Here’s my question: I’m strongly considering attending the University of Alabama next year as a music ed major - I’ve already been accepted, and if I become a National Merit Finalist, which is fairly likely, I’ll get a full ride there. Here’s my main concern, stupid though it is: I’m from the UK originally, and moved to Michigan six years ago. I’ve never been to the American South, and I’m wondering if I’ll fit in down there. I’m pretty much the complete opposite of all of the stereotypes of Southerners - very liberal, non-religious, etc. Will I be welcomed?</p>

<p>(Also, if anybody knows anything about the caliber of the music ed program at UA, that would be great.) </p>

<p>Thanks in advance!</p>

<p>The univ is a mix of all types…liberals, moderates, conservatives and the “don’t cares”. </p>

<p>Keep in mind that the univ has a lot of out of state students, so it’s not really a typical “southern school”. I’m sure you’ll fit in fine. </p>

<p>I don’t know much about the School of Music. It seems to be very good, but since it’s not an area that I’m familar with, hopefully some others will post who know more about it.<br>
[University</a> of Alabama School of Music](<a href=“http://music.ua.edu/]University”>http://music.ua.edu/)</p>

<p>Will you be able to visit the campus?</p>

<p>Your question is anything but stupid. It’s the same concern we had. My son is a sophomore at UA, a NMF, liberal, and not religious. He grew up in Hawaii, which is as far from Tuscaloosa as London, and has had no trouble finding like-minded friends. He absolutely loves UA and is always willing to honestly share his Alabama experiences with prospective students.</p>

<p>PM me if you’d like me to put you in touch with him.</p>

<p>My daughter is a music major at UA. She is also a NMF and quite liberal. She loves the music school and has found it to be challenging both artistically and academically. Though she has said that she has found the overall student population to be more conservative than she is used to (we are from a large urban area out of state), she says that this isn’t true of the music school.</p>

<p>All of the 10 or so music majors I know are liberal and non-religious, though I met most of them though student organizations for liberal and/or non-religious students.</p>

<p>UA tends to be more conservative (think center right) than other state universities, but is more liberal than the State of Alabama, with the possible exception of Huntsville. With the large amount of OOS students, UA is becoming more of a university that happens to be located in the South rather than being a “Southern” university. That said, the university is proud of its southern heritage and takes pride in being the state’s flagship university, Auburn being the more rural “state university.”</p>

<p>There are no stupid questions, only auburn fans.</p>

<p>“Show me a young Conservative and I’ll show you someone with no heart. Show me an old Liberal and I’ll show you someone with no brains.” - Winston Churchill</p>

<p>Churchill may not have said it but it’s often attributed to him. Anyway you’ll find enough liberals like you at Bama. Hopefully you’ll all grow brains before you rot in hell :-)</p>

<p>Ha ha NJ that made me laugh this am, the first part anyway ;)</p>

<p>We are from the NE, the liberal bastion of America. S loves Bama. He has joined one of the “Southern Gentleman” fraternities. College is all about expanding your horizons, IMHO anyway.</p>

<p>I know that in '08, the campus was Obama-land - like most college campuses across the country… I’m not saying that it will be that way again next year, but it was in '08.</p>

<p>My son (current freshman from Massachusetts) hails from the most liberal state in the Union (yes, we voted for McGovern). He once drove by a church, but never made it inside. He loves it at UA, including the diversity of cultures, backgrounds, religious views, etc.</p>

<p>I think when it comes down to it, kids are kids.They don’t get hung up too much on things like religion and politics and just like to hang out with one another without too much regard for such things or letting them get in the way.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>I’ll second that, MABama. Some of my son’s best friends are “conservative” and it’s been a wonderful eye opener for him to expand the range of kids with whom he affiliates. At the end of last year he told me that one of the cool things he learned as a freshman at UA is that “people are people.”</p>