Stupidest reason child won't look at a college

<p>Thanks mantori–Miami was the name of the dominant tribe in western Ohio (also found in Indiana, Illinois, Michigan–now in Oklahoma) when Europeans arrived. In southwest Ohio, you will find “Miami” in many names–Miamisburg, Miami County, Great Miami River, Little Miami River, etc.</p>

<p>Northwest Ohio, too. I grew up one block over from Miami Street. There’s a whole lot of culture and history wrapped up in the word Miami. It’s really part of the area’s character. We were taught about the local tribes’ histories in grade school, visited the mounds and such on field trips. I miss it.</p>

<p>I steadfastly refuse to be known as a “sagehen.” And “Harvey Mudd”? Don’t get me started.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>And the area where it’s located has been known as the Miami Valley even longer, after the Great Miami River that runs through it. Even before the city of Dayton was settled on the banks of the Great Miami in 1796, the French knew the river (which was part of New France until the French and Indian War) as Grande Miami Riviere, after the indigenous people, obviously. So the name is very old, and the university comes by it honestly.</p>

<p>I am not saying these are smart reasons to not look at a college but indeed, the stupid reasons! :)</p>

<p>Oops, I feel into that trap. You’re right, these are supposed to be stupid reasons.</p>

<p>(But, alas, I think a lot of kids think the same as your ds about Miami. Heck, Miami of Florida doesn’t even win if you compare football teams. MU-Ohio all-time record: 651–395–44. UM-Florida all-time record: 552–307–19. Go RedHawks!)</p>

<p>amandakayak - identity crisis or “geographic envy” - this made me laugh out loud and startle my sleeping dog.</p>

<p>Whenever I hear the name Harvey Mudd, I think of Star Trek.</p>

<p>Montegut - I heard an interesting report recently that Falcons kill dogs now.</p>

<p>Took my youngest & a friend (both HS sophomores) to the local College Fair last night (140+ schools; quite overwhelming.) I tried to stay out of the way and just follow along. On the way home, they were telling me some of their impressions of the various schools. They started talking about Western Kentucky’s “weird” mascot (I believe they are the Hilltoppers) but then they both said there was a school that had a super weird mascot that didn’t look like anything and they thought it was called something like a Bellinger and they wouldn’t even go over to the table :)</p>

<p>Maccots can big a big issue. We were at a small local College Fair and DS just dropped his head to keep from laughing at the recruiter from Delta State in Mississippi. The “Fighting Okra”, not exactly an image that will bring fear to their opponents.</p>

<p>So glad I had swallowed my coffee before I ready your post, MemphisGuy!</p>

<p>Is that for real?</p>

<p>Obviously, mafool, you have never had to fight an okra. Let’s hope you never do.</p>

<p>RobD, that was probably a Billiken from St. Louis University. An excellent college, a strong contender for my son. He did not know what to make of the mascot, either. I don’t think they have a football team, though. More known for basketball.</p>

<p>Love the Fighting Okra! Only in the South.</p>

<p>Ah Montegut! I believe you are right & I remember seeing the St. Louis University table as I pressed myself up against the wall of the mall and tried hard not to breathe in the noxious fumes coming from Abercrombie & Fitch ;)</p>

<p>And the Fighting Okra! That is too funny…is that an especially tough Okra only used for a slow cooking gumbo?</p>

<p>Love revisiting this thread. My, how things have changed in the last 18 months.</p>

<p>My son who did not want to go to a school that was big into sports.</p>

<p>Now, he is attending the university with the best football team in the nation!</p>

<p>Roll Tide!</p>

<p>

My daughter thought Princeton was pretty preppy too…it didn’t help when the guy who did the talk was wearing red pants with matching red boat shoes!</p>

<p>^^^ not orange? ;)</p>

<p>I do know that okra is a slimy competitor; it slides out your grip pretty easily.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Well, how about the UC Santa Cruz Banana Slugs? But I always thought that name might give them an advantage because their opponents might just fall down laughing. “Banana Slugs” had just the opposite effect on my D, though; she thought it was so cool, so . . . I don’t know, anti-macho? . . . that she was tempted to apply. Then she realized the only thing she liked about the school was the name of its athletic teams, and that was the end of that.</p>