Stupidest reason child won't look at a college

<p>Yes, the YPMB hasn’t had the opportunity to play “Goodnight, Poor Harvard” for a few years.</p>

<p>Celebrating the 125th and 150th anniversaries are often done for cities- any excuse for a celebration… why not for colleges? Waiting every one hundred years is too long.</p>

<p>I like it when mascots are chosen to reflect something indigenous to the area, even if not real. Badgers, Wolverines, Gophers, Hoosiers, Illini, Hawkeyes, Buckeyes… Also original school songs.</p>

<p>“That’s why Boomer Sooner gets under my skin.”</p>

<p>I always hated the day they came to Boulder to play CU. There would be a parade of red trucks blaring that stupid song for hours. </p>

<p>As a U of W Husky I am no fan of the Sooner Schooner myself. I can still remember my mom going totally ape-sh** when the schooner came out on to the field during a live play.</p>

<p>

My alma mater celebrated its 150th when I was in graduate school and its 175th when S1 was a student there. </p>

<p>This is my favorite thread on this website and just thought I’d resurrect it :slight_smile: I refused to even consider University of South Carolina because I didn’t want to deal with everybody thinking I went to University of Southern California every time I said I’m going to USC. In short, I didn’t want to go to the “lesser” USC (no offense of course, this is the “stupidest reason” thread after all!)</p>

D refused to consider Wittenberg because the write up in Fiske was “too happy”! (Resurrecting because I love laughing at this thread and want to hear more.)

Skidmore - what an awful name.

Urban schools
The school colors
The name of the state
Mascot

My son would not look at Ohio University or West Virginia University because they were party schools. He didn’t think that would look good on a resume to have graduated from a party school.

I can sort of understand the “too happy” comment. One small college that sent my son literature boasted that they had four pizza places in the vicinity. Yes, boasted. We live in a small town of about 5,000 people and we have six pizza places here. Son ended up going to school in a large city.

My D would not consider Holy Cross – not because of the location but because of its name (“too aggressively Catholic”). Same for Catholic U, naturally. BTW, we are Catholic and there are several Catholic universities that she did consider–just not these two.

You cannot even mention the University of Richmond ( a very lovely school) to my D. She hates spiders.

@berniesmom‌ - My Ds top school pick is UR right now…. (she has 2 WL she is waiting to hear from). The ONLY thing she doesn’t love about UR is the SPIDERS. She is having a terrible time thinking about wearing school paraphernalia.

Son ruled out SUNY…all of them…because he lives in NY and all of their campuses are “ugly” and in “crappy areas”
:stuck_out_tongue: I can’t say I disagree :wink:

Good thing your son is so wealthy he can just shun the SUNYs, kollegeguy! :slight_smile:

Sometimes you have to drive the old car because that’s the best for you.

Too many trees! Dismissed some gorgeous campuses with widely spaced trees, because they seemed “like forests.” She loved urban campuses.

Subway is too close to campus. Like the sandwhich shop. Because it is somehow " sketchy".

@twoinanddone, I hear you, we are fortunate to be in a position that we can offer him something more, he’s a lucky kid!

@maystarmom My D1 visited a campus on her own. I knew immediately she didn’t like the school much when she showed me a picture of trees. Same reason as your D, she wanted - and ended up at - an urban campus.

So, just to amuse (annoy?) D1, my nature girl D2 sent her pictures of trees from all of her campus visits.

Ha ha @LuckyCharms913‌ , my D said the exact same thing. Nothing “Catholic” in the name. No Holy Cross, no Saint anything. Like you we are Catholic, and she ended up at a Jesuit school but the name does not “sound” religious!

@snowme ha ha–good payback. We may have taken DD on one too many camping trips. On the last one she learned that not everyplace has a cell signal :wink: However I had no idea trees would be a college problem until we started visiting schools in the Pacific Northwest! Glad to learn she’s not alone!