Suggestions On UC Appeal

<p>hey guys! so I applied to UCD, UCSD, UCSB, and UCI. I got accepted into UCI AND UCSB but rejected to UCD and UCSD. UCSD is my dream school and i’m planning on appeal.</p>

<p>here is some information about me:
ACT:25
4.07 gpa (Currently 4.10 GPA)
4 yrs in biotech academy
*ROP for molecular and micro (proficient in mciropipetting, electrophoresis, vertical electrophoresis, elisa, spectophotometer, restriction mapping, transformation, chromotagraphy, microarray, pcr, graphing)
*3 yrs in National honors society
*3 yrs in California scholarship federation
*2 yrs in Link Crew/Mentoring at my school
2 yrs in hich school tennis team
2 yrs in Pacific Islanders Club
Tennis Manager for the boys team (started this year)
Volunteer at goodwill
Taking numerous ap and honors classes.
first girl in my immediate family that will attend a 4 year college
top 20 of the senior class of 2013
top 9 percentile of california high school graduates.
*for whatever reason that happened, I forgot you add this information to my application</p>

<p>I should have put all the extracurricular on my application but for whatever reason they slipped from my mind when i was applying. </p>

<p>My Personal statements were about struggling to impress my mom and my experience for being on the tennis team. (Alright but there is room for improvement). </p>

<p>Additional Comments: During my junior year, my life took a turn for the worst because my parents decided to split up. My world shattered and I would never be the same again. The two people who I loved so much no longer wanted to be together and that hurt me because they always put me in the middle of all their arguments. Pressure from my parents and my family members made me even more depressed and stressed because they told me that I could have prevented the whole ordeal if I wanted to. My grades are not the best as they could have been but I tried my best because that’s what my parents wanted. My junior year was not my best year because I had to deal with my parent’s divorce and many times I just wanted to give up because I felt like I had no reason to do good in school anymore but one thing that both my parents agreed on was that I must do good in school no matter what, even if our parents will split.They wanted me to have a good education and future unlike the live they had when they were in Vietnam. Both my parents want me and my brother to have a good future despite the fact that they are no longer together. I decided to work hard for the both of them. I want them to be proud of me and become someone that they will be able to praise and brag about to their coworkers and family members.</p>

<p>For my appeal, I’m not sure if i should elaborate more on what occurred during my junior year (my mom was arrested for assault against my father and thrown into jail. She had to take anger management classes) or should I just write on my appeal the personal complication that happened recently after the filing of the UC Application (my father has diabetes, he went to vietnam to visit relatives and was having severe heart problems that he was rushed into the er and almost passed away in vietnam, he had to have surgery and he is again going to have another one next week). I want to include somewhere on the appeal about the extracurricular that i left off from the original application but this may not be a good move. </p>

<p>May I appeal my denial of admission?
As very few appeals are granted each year, we strongly encourage you to accept an offer of admission or waitlist from another campus to which you have been admitted. UC San Diego will only consider appeals from applicants with new and compelling information that was not included in your original application. Possible grounds for appeal include recent and significant information regarding personal circumstances which may have impacted your academic performance, errors in your UC application, extraordinary special achievement/recognition received since your application was submitted, medical issues, or financial hardship.</p>

<p>Options Include for appeal:
Error in original UC application
Newly documented medical issues
Extraordinary special achievement/recognition, since your original application
Financial Hardship
Recent Personal life change</p>

<p>Which one would make a stronger appeal and what option would it fall under? Thanks!</p>

<p>You can appeal by providing the ECs you left out but I think that’s about it. They seem pretty significant. Keep in mind, “new and compelling information”. You already talked about your hardship so I don’t think talking about it again would do anything. </p>

<p>Another thing is, the UCs are not looking for just a sob story. They want to see how you overcame the hardship. My counselor stressed this to me because there are thousands of applicants with sob stories(seriously). Obviously they want to see the ones that overcame the hardships.</p>

<p>So another suggestion may be to appeal by talking about how you are overcoming it and will carry that momentum forward. And you can include your missing ECs too. I also think they take letters of recommendations for appeals but I’m not 100% sure. Take my advice with a grain of salt. I’m not an expert. Good luck!!</p>