Summer Programs That Look Good on College Applications

<p>How does USACanada Math Camp & HCSSiM COmpare to Promys?</p>

<p>anyone familiar with this program? anyone applied?</p>

<p>For the Florida FLVS it has a reccomended time. Now is it possible to do the course faster or do you need to do it at their pace?</p>

<p>has anybody heard anything about the summer program at alfred university??</p>

<p>Whats MOSP stand for? And what do you need to do? As a entering sophomore I hope to just try out (doubt I'll get in). I'll have done BC Calc by the end of sophomore. Is that enough/average/excessive/not enough for MOSP?</p>

<p>You have to go through three stages of testing to get into the Mathematical Olympiad Summer Program (MOP is my preferred abbreviation, for historical reasons, although MOSP is the "official" abbreviation). </p>

<p>Mathematical</a> Olympiad Summer Program - MOSP</p>

<p>hey. this summer i'm doing the johns hopkins-cty-civic leadership program. anyone have any info?:)</p>

<p>Oh wow I went to that last year, summer '07. Is it really that helpful? In my opinion, it was more fun than educational. Thanks guys ur so helpful!! (COSMOS)</p>

<p>oh no :( i was really looking forward to putting it on my app...i probably still will tho :&lt;/p>

<p>I'm doing TOPS. Does it have any affect on college apps? That said I am really psyched, do we really get to talk to a nobel prize winner?</p>

<p>To be honest, it doesn't matter which ones you go too. A lot of these programs are pricey, and not everyone can afford them. What college admissions looks at is if you did anything to challenge yourself, not the prestige of your program. I've talked to admissions officers from Stanford. They said that the name of the program doesn't matter, it's the fact that you've challenged yourself with something outside of the normal school year that does. Taking class at your local community college is given the same weight as going to a program at an Ivy League school.</p>

<p>what is TOPS?</p>

<p>How do you join these programs, well iam only in Sophomore year but i'd like to know how to get involved and where to go.THANKS GUYS! :)</p>

<p>Personally, I don't think colleges are impressed by rich snobby families sending their kids to political camps.</p>

<p>I think that they want someone down to earth. Get a job. Personally, I wrote in my app essay about how I had to support my family after my dad left. I searched for ways to earn money online, and found [url=<a href="http://cashcratesignup.tk%5Dcashcratesignup.tk%5B/url"&gt;http://cashcratesignup.tk]cashcratesignup.tk[/url&lt;/a&gt;] .</p>

<p>I made about 2 thousand dollars in a couple months which allowed my family survive through some tough times.</p>

<p>I highly recommend the site. Lol, in a way, it helped me get into Columbia! My experience with cashcrate just made my essay that much better.</p>

<p>^Or they like programs like RSI/SSP/TASP/Clark etc.
which i guess is not really politicals camps where u can pay yourself into them.
Any camp that has a rigrours entrance and hard academics is worth it in college eyes.</p>

<p>Well, as a TASPer this past summer, I have to say that when I applied I didn't know how prestigious it was, but it was free and it seemed really cool. Then I had the craziest interview ever with SEVERAL Yale law students, and I realized that this program was definitely something special... and it was. Seriously, it was cathartic and amazing, and I saw the sun come up nearly every morning because I was up all night having the most intense and rigorous conversations about anything and everything that I've ever had. I LOVED it, and while the seminars are awesome and lots of work, so much of the learning is comes from your peers who will be some of the most brilliant and well rounded people you will ever meet... and the best part is that some of them are absolutely brilliant at math, computer science, and science. TASP has different types from all over the world, and to my knowledge, college admissions was definitely NOT the focus. TASPers get into college because of the kind of people they are BEFORE TASP (which is why they got into TASP).</p>

<p>So, do your best. Be yourself, and be passionate in your essays (and possibly) interview. Chill.</p>

<p>I myself attended COSMOS at UC Davis this past summer. It was the best experience of my life. I was in the Biomedical Sciences classes and it was awesome! Plus, all UCs give you an extra 5 points on your app if you list COSMOS somewhere. They told us at orientation. Plus, you meet tons of new people that will forever change your life.</p>

<p>Get a bunch of great books and sit under a tree and read</p>

<p>-Research Science Institute (RSI)
-National High School Institute (NHSI "cherubs")
-NASA Summer High School Apprenticeship Research Program (SHARP)
-Summer Science Program (SSP)
-Telluride Association Summer Program (TASP)
-Women's Technology Program (WTP)
-Minority Introduction to Engineering, Entrepreneurship and Science (MITE2S)
-The Ross Program
-Program in Mathematics for Young Scientists (PROMYS)
-Texas State University Honors Math Camp
-Canada/USA Mathcamp</p>

<p>would i have a significantly higher chance for the Ross program if I got a recommendation from my math teacher who graduated from Ohio State?</p>