Summer Programs That Look Good on College Applications

<p>@MrGoodman- What is your area of interest? Government, physics, foreign language…?</p>

<p>Are there any programs (medicine or business) that end before July 11? I’m also looking at Northwestern CTD, anything good on that?</p>

<p>If I have the oppurtunity to do reasearch in a UC Berkeley Lab/ Lawrence Berkeley Lab during the summer, would that be better or worse than going to a camp and doing research (Clarks, RSI, etc)?</p>

<p>Also - for any of those interested in summer@brown, its an amazing experience!
one of my roommates from summer@brown got into Standford, another got into Georgetown, another got into Cornell, another got into Bates, someone else got into Barnard, and my roommate got into Brown.
Truly a great program! I highly recommend it!</p>

<p>check out art and architecure summer at Penn, friend said it was fantastic
there’s also a new whartonsports business Porgam at penn this summer,looks way cool</p>

<p>A few years ago I got a book called “What High Schools Don’t Tell you” by Elizabeth Wisner-Gross. In the back she lists sort of a timeline of summer programs that kids could participate in based on their interests. It’s a pretty good list of programs and I liked the book too.</p>

<p>I have twins and we are in the midst of college stuff. The common app has a section on it for college programs so it’s kind of nice to have stuff to put there! I think the earlier you start the better! Here are some programs that we did:</p>

<p>S1- interested in business
Summer before 10th grade 1 week residential program at Westminster College in SLC, Utah- Money 101- great program, pretty inexpensive, small. I was worried that it would be all local kids but it wasn’t- he was there with some famous country singers son who had been going to the same Money 101 program for 3 years, Samuelli’s (Broadcom) nephew, and some big-time NY trader’s son so it had a reputation. Son loved the program. They also offer robotics, writing, flight school amongst other cool programs.</p>

<p>Summer before 11th grade- Stanford EPGY 3 week topics in business- great program, pretty pricey, but son loved it!</p>

<p>Summer before 12th- Chapman University Economic Summer Institute for High School Students- this is a true find! One week and they pay you! If you are from out of state they give you a travel stipend and put you up in the dorms with meals for free. Applications come online in April. Kids made $120 for the week.</p>

<p>S2- no particular interest
Summer before 10th grade- American University Political Cartooning and Animation 3 week course, live in dorms. Great program- they offer some broadcast journalism courses and other communication courses. Expensive. Son loved program. Not much supervision- I think they never went to bed and were in DC the whole time when school was not in session. One interesting benefit- son knew after 3 weeks that he did not want to go to school in an urban environment at a school that did not have a campus.</p>

<p>Summer before 11th grade- Concordia Language in Minnesota. At this program they “unplug” you and I thought that might be a problem for my “online” kid, but it wasn’t. He thought it was a great program, bonded with other students and teachers, still keeps in touch with them and would have gone again the following summer but it didn’t work out with our schedule.</p>

<p>Summer before 12th- Economic Institute at Chapman</p>

<p>My niece, who is into Film and Television, did Explo, Some “intern” program at Penn with NPR (through that Julian Krinsky (sp?) program), USC’s summer program (6 weeks) and then a 3 week French Cinema program in France through Cal State Long Beach (she got college units for the last two programs).</p>

<p>I think there are some pretty cool programs out there that are off the beaten path- you just have to look for them!</p>

<p>LBW
M&TSI
Art and Architecture Summer at Penn
WSBA (wharton)
Penn Summer Nursing institute
International leadership/ Model UN</p>

<p>How prestigious are COSMOS, summer@Brown, and Cornell Summer College? Are they very competitive to enter and/or worth the time and money?</p>

<p>oh and also how much do those programs (COSMOS, summer@brown, Cornell summer college) really affect college apps? I read in some other posts that colleges only really care if the program is free/cheap and research-based, and you get paid… is that true? because COSMOS is $2500; amd summer@brown and Cornell both cost a LOT, like 10k for 7 weeks…</p>

<p>Colleges want to see kids following their passions. If you can’t get into a highly competitive free program, a paid session can be an indicator of dedication and interest in a given domain.</p>

<p>Okay, thanks Rellielou.</p>

<p>Does anyone know if the Summer Science and Engineering Program at Smith College is good?</p>

<p>any suggestions for summer program for a student interested in Computer programming/ Computer engineering?</p>

<p>Best debate camp? Considering Northwestern U. Is it as good as U of Mich? How good does this look on college application, can it be a huge factor?</p>

<p>@nanakw-</p>

<p>I’m a debater myself and I have been to Northwestern for Debate Camp or “Institutes” as they like to call it. In all honesty, the camp won’t look that prestigious on a college application. If you fork over the cash you will most likely get in. This doesn’t mean that you won’t learn anything though. If you do decide to go, be prepared for late nights cutting cards and formulating strats for the camp tournament. Besides, people don’t go to debate camp for its prestige they go there to learn and win every round when debate season rolls around.</p>

<p>hey, i’m thinking about applying to a summer program in either colombia or brown.
which one should i apply for? and do they look good on college apps and are they worth the time and money?
thank you guys!</p>

<p>I’ve heard awesome things about both and I’ve heard awful things about both. They’re meh on college apps–it seems more based on who can pay the money and not how brilliant one is…</p>

<p>If you like Spanish/Latin America, look into Amigos de las Americas.
It sends high school students into Latin America over the summer and puts you and a partner in a Latin America community for 6-8 weeks to teach about health/environment/technology to local students. You live with a host family.</p>

<p>One of the best experiences of my life. Life-changing.</p>

<p>Any good medicine programs that end before July 12?</p>

<p>hows jsa? easy to get into? prestigious?</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Depending on who you ask, the experiences with these two programs will be either fantastic or horrendous. But the one thing that isn’t really disputed is that attending will not boost your chances at those schools or other selective universities.</p>