Switching from engineering to humanities?

The University of Delaware could be a good school for you to consider. Also, if you still haven’t decided, apply for direct admission to the engineering programs. It is much easier to switch from Engineering to a humanity major than the other way around.

4 Likes

Virginia Tech seems like a great in-state option. I’m not sure if they directly admit to your major. Keep in mind that aerospace is one of the toughest majors to get into from general first year engineering programs like Purdue’s. I still recommend applying to Purdue but you may need a 1500+ SAT.

Iowa State is a very solid engineering program with good school spirit. Auburn is still possible since you’re in very advanced math and physics. You’re still a very strong candidate. I switched from chemical engineering to business after three years in college and then got an MBA and have been in finance ever since.

https://liberalarts.vt.edu/rotc/airforce.html

I believe that Virginia Tech has students apply to their intended major. I think Virginia Tech would be a great in-state option, too, but because of the direct admit into the major, it’s probably more of a reach since the engineering majors are so popular.

1 Like

Those who want engineering at VT apply to a first year general engineering program. For first year general engineering students, 3.0 college GPA guarantees admission to any specific engineering major; otherwise, admission to major is competitive. Those outside of engineering who want to change into an engineering major need a 3.5 college GPA for guaranteed admission.

https://eng.vt.edu/academics/undergraduate-students/resources-support/change-of-major/restricted.html

2 Likes

Thanks for the clarification!

It’s really premature to decide that now. You have at least 2-3 years before seriously considering what to major in. That’s a pretty heavy load of AP classes. It probably has nothing to do with your math aptitude, it’s most likely because you’re taking too many classes at once. I would probably recommend lightening that load if you can. Your GPA will thank you later.

Here’s a trick. Whatever math you take in high school, take it in college. Most universities will make you do it as part of their general requirements anyway. You’ll probably get an A in the class, and you’ll have a stronger foundation for Calculus II. I had a professor, years back, tell us that his best math students were always the ones that came out of “bonehead” remedial math. It’s way too soon to get discouraged now.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.