Syracuse vs UMass Amherst vs Rochester

The number is meaningless. It’s their interpretation of your need. There’s no way in heck we could’ve afforded what they wanted us to pay in subsequent years. We really had to scrape to be able to afford the first year. And that was $25k (IIRC) less. We gave our D the option of borrowing and she wisely refused.

1 Like

I agree with this, and it just can’t be stated enough that the school determines a family’s need and that varies greatly school by school, even among those schools that say they meet “full need”.

For these schools that package loans (greater than direct student loans) and say they meet full need…well, let’s just say I don’t see it that way.

1 Like

Yes, that’s why I said:

Rochester meets 100% of demonstrated need (if it’s determined OP has).

Each school looks at the #s differently and has a formula that is used - some use home equity, for example.

Most schools see college as an investment - so if you have assets, etc, they will expect you to expel them.

At my income level, 88% of kids at a college that my daughter was admitted to (doesn’t attend) got an average of $38K grant. Yet I got $0. So I asked why was I in that 12% - and they said I was far beyond - I literally had 8x the assets I’d have needed to qualify.

In my case, I could have paid full but I have two kids in college and it would have caused a big hurt.

But you are correct - it’s as “they determine” - hence I noted.

I’m not sure how long UR has been a 100% meets need school - that might be a recent thing - not sure…and that may have impacted you too.

Interesting. I honestly have no idea/experience. I don’t see UR as near elite but I haven’t really delved into it as a school either.

Your point regarding recruiting is a good one. IF companies aren’t recruiting then the value of n honors degree diminishes. My understanding was that many honors programs were getting some of the best and brightest who could otherwise not afford the private options but had similar stats to top schools. So, comparing UR to UMass, UR might come up a bit better but throw in the honors and I thought, it’s a different ballgame. My assumption was that some firms might actually recruit the honors kids.
Since you have two in an honors program, I’d assume you know about these type of programs.
You’re right about subjectivity. What you value matters. But job placement certainly matters to most. Thanks for your insights.

I was looking at the wrong thing . . . Veterans COA.!

Not sure what the $1k education cost is, the COA is listed as that.

UR, historically, would be bucketed with a BC and Wake Forest, ahead of schools like BU, Northeastern and Tulane - although that has changed today. They are strong in social science and science. But it’s always been a sleepy school - not a great area, not big sports…I don’t want to say a lesser Chicago but…

My understanding was that many honors programs were getting some of the best and brightest who could otherwise not afford the private options but had similar stats to top schools.

Agreed with this and perhaps some profs have contacts that lead to special roles. But on job apps, there’s not even a place to mention Honors (my son went through this the last two years). But the top schools are using Honors to pick up those top students - don’t disagree.

And the student experience can be much better if the student takes advantage.

Outcomes - I’m not sure but my guess is in most cases, probably not different than regular students. I think student hustle determines outcomes…did when I was in school and I see it today with my son and his friends.

But again - it’s all anyone’s guess - you just need one college acceptance and one solid job offer.

1 Like

@taverngirl was your daughter’s need based aid reduced…or was her merit aid reduced.

Maybe I’m wrong…but I think this OP is looking for merit aid.

a lesser Chicago, hmmm. Do you have a student at UR? Maybe you know it best.

I think my opinion of UR stems from the administration. The situation with Florian Jaeger has outlived 2 university presidents and was rearing its head again last fall. They also get a lot of money from China for research and that has colored the experience of students on campus because the administration follows the money instead of celebrating the diversity it claims to want (Eastman student symphony trip to China despite South Korean members being denied visas and was only cancelled because of student and alumni backlash; removal of all international student flags from a lounge because China doesn’t recognize Hong Kong or Taiwan; Chinese students interrupting lectures by visiting Tibetan monks).

Highly ranked? Near-elite? I’m not impressed.

4 Likes

Huh? That is your opinion, not fact. I don’t agree with this all. I don’t know where you are getting this from, or your classifications of which school is better, but you keep writing your personal opinions as if they are facts, and they just aren’t.

1 Like

Everything is “perception” - we all have "perceptions, stereotypes or beliefs or whatever you want to call them…such that Harvard or MIT is best, etc. A

I’m reading a thread from 2006 and they are talking about Rochester and Brandeis and the comment is U of Chicago on the high end.

I think it’s just “instilled” in me. Another compared it to W & M and CMU.

We all have our internal perceptions. Both my kids looked but the weather or location wouldn’t work.

There’s tons of websites out there - and you’ll see comparisons to Brown (in part, I’m sure, due to curriculum), Brandeis, Tufts, RPI, Lehigh, etc.

Any time someone “rates” or “buckets” a school with others - let’s be honest - it’s typically opinion based.

Perhaps because both are deemed not as fun schools, that’s where the connection came from that’s instilled in me.

Everyone is entitled to bucket or opine in regards to schools as they wish.

1 Like

Until the OP comes back and lets us know if any of these schools are affordable for her family…we are all just guessing.

I still ask…are there any affordable acceptances for this student.

3 Likes

In 2015, when the analysis linked below was performed, URochester placed 60th nationally by standardized scoring profile. In comparison, UMass (in general) placed 189th and Syracuse placed 251st.

See next note - I never said fact.

There are no facts - everyone who speaks here and relates Harvard to Yale.

The fact is they are in the same athletic conference, etc. Is there a fact that they are both top 5 schools? No.

It’s all opinion otherwise.

When you look at historic rank, Rochester is typically in that tier below the Vandys of the world - and above the BUs and NEUs (which have risen in recent years).

It’s all opinion - including the ranks - I don’t disagree.

We all perceive as we do. Those perceptions have been instilled in us or by us or otherwise.

Rochester current rank is #34 in US News - one spot behind a 6 way tie at 28 of NYU, Tufts, UCSB, Florida, UNC, and Wake Forest and tied with UCSD and ahead of BC and UCI which are 36th.

Everything is an opinion or a data point formulated on inputs decided upon and weighted by whoever determines them.

Anyway, time to move on.

1 Like

Thanks for all the suggestions and comments. I will get more information about grant/aid and give you an update. Thanks again!

We did not find this to be true at Roc. My son was able to keep his merit. In fact, when he changed his status to part time, paying only per credit, they allowed him to resume his original merit scholarship when he changed back to full time. The fin aid office has been pretty supportive.

2 Likes

Here’s the thing - you are only choosing amongst these three - but if your best case is $40K and you can’t afford $40K - then what?

That’s what’s being asked?

What’s your budget? You may need to pivot to a $20K school - in other words. Depending on your stats, they are out there.

Just like other students to get a student loan and pay back after graduate.

You, personally, are capped at the $5500/6500/7500/7500 in loans - $27K after 4 years. The rest of the cost is loans for your parents, which you can help pay back, but we have seen instances where parents are no longer able to keep borrowing after year 2 or 3, leaving students with tons of loans and no degree. Please be careful with this!

1 Like