Syracuse vs USC vs U Cincinnati Architecture

I am a high school senior who has recently been accepted into Syracuse and USC for B.Arch programs and the University of Cincinnati for the B.S of Architecture program. All 3 programs seem to be very good and have produced some impressive work. I am just curious if anyone had any input on which program they thought to be better. I live in Ohio, so I would qualify for in-state tuition at UC, making it the cheapest option out of the 3, however it does not offer the 5 year B. Arch. I know that Syracuse is weighted higher than USC for architecture rankings however, I am interested in more than just rankings. Overall as a school I am more attracted to USC, but I have also received scholarships to Syracuse. Looking for some facts and reasons for me to attend any of these schools. Please let me know your opinion.

What can your parents afford and what are they willing to afford?

If you want USC and they agree, then you are done.

If the $$ matter, then pivot.

In other words you have an order in mind of the three so then it becomes up to what mom/dad will pay.

Are you 100% sure you want to architecture, or is that merely your favorite option right now and you think you might switch to something else, or at least want the opportunity to explore something else? If you’re 100% sure, then a B. Arch is going to be your fastest path to being a professional architect. If, however, you’d still like the opportunity to have a little look-see at other options before fully committing, the B.S. in Architecture is likely your better option, but you would then need to do an M. Arch afterwards (though you would likely be exempted from at least 1 year of coursework for the M. Arch).

When looking at the costs, think about 5 years at USC, 5 years at Syracuse, and then 6 years at UC (assuming you did a Master’s there, for argument’s sake). Would any of these require loans? Most people, especially in architecture, recommend taking out as little as possible in loans, preferably $0. How comparable are the costs when multiplied by 5 or 6, respectively?

The coop portion of UC’s education is likely to help you get into other competitive M. Arch programs and to get a job. I don’t know what the coop/internship opportunities are like at USC & Syracuse, though. How do they compare?

Have you visited all three campuses? What were your feelings about each one, if so? If not, do you have any intentions on visiting? On-campus visits can help a lot.

@masterbear19, Three good choices! Syracuse and USC have wider name recognition than Cincinnati. Having said that UC is still an excellent program, with the added appeal of its co-op and interdisciplinary options. With a BS from UC you could continue on at UC for their MArch or you could move on to an MArch program at another university. Many BS/BA graduates will work in architecture for a year or two before getting their MArch.

To my mind, USC has the highest reputation for pushing the envelop on design, though Syracuse has made headway in that area in recent years. USC is more oriented toward the westcoast; Syracuse toward New York, meaning that that’s where their visiting instructors and critics would most likely come from. This can make difference when you’re networking for internships and post-graduation jobs. Both have high global name recognition, moreso, I would say, than Cincinnati.

Some other fine points of comparison that you might explore are thesis requirements, study abroad, summer internship opportunities.

Because BArch curriculums are regulated by the architecture board you’ll be covering much the same material at either program, however, southern California and upstate New York couldn’t be more different in environment. If you’ve visited, you’re probably attracted more to one or the other. If you haven’t visited, then try to do so before making your final decision.

2 Likes