TAMU 2022 parent questions and answers

@AggieMomhelp for psychology majors Psych 285 - Directed Studies is O credit, but required. All incoming psych majors are automatically enrolled in it by the department. I believe they said it only meet 6 times, but they must attend or they will not be released to take upper level psych classes. My DD was not advised to not take all of her AP credits now, in fact she did accept all of her currently available AP credits (21) and that was cleared by her NSC advisor.

I think my DD is hoping to graduate a year early too , although I am advising her advise against it. She is going to have to take some summer classes and at least 15 hours a semester if that is her goal!

Wowzers 18 is a lot of hours in a semester!

@labegg I’m truly shocked about the AP credit. My son is also in Liberal Arts and they were so quick to tell us not to yet. But to accept as needed for other classes. That’s great she has so many though! Impressive. Psychology has wonderful advisors (probably some of the best on campus), so I know they instructed her to do what is in her best interest!!! Bummer about the zero credit tho… always nice to have an easy A, lol… but it sounds like my son’s econ seminar and it’ll be very beneficial to them to have access to the advisors like that!

OOOh a plus to accepting A/P credit is it bumps you up for registration in the Spring!!! = )

Hello everyone. Just wanted to share our recent experience at our NSC, more specifically theMPE exam which took place today. I encouraged my son to do one of the practice tests on line and after reluctantly agreeing,he was very grateful. There were a few rusty areas and once he worked through the practice, he sailed through the exam today. However, there were sooo many kids who didn’t and were devastated to be placed in pre-calc again. Many of these kids had AP credit for calc, but were told they had no choice when registering for the fall but to take pre calc. The only option was to take pre calc this summer, then change schedule into calc 1 in the fall or redo the mpe during howdy week, then into calc one. If your kids need to take the mpe at their upcoming nsc, encourage them to do a practice test. Best of luck to the class of 2022

@ggbucks Are you referring to Engineering majors only?

I believe it was both science majors and engineering in the room taking the mpe. Other majors I believe can take online

That’s correct, only Science/Engineering majors take the MPE at A&M, the others take it online at home.

My DD does not have a roomate assigned yet in her Howdy portal. A young lady contacted her early in the summer and said she was her roomate but has not responded since to my daughter’s social medial contacts (heaven forbid she actually call her on the phone…!). I suggested my daughter contact TAMU and ask if she has a roomate assigned. They emailed back that she did have one and they would contact the girl and have her contact my daughter. This seems very odd to me - why don’t they also give my daughter her contact info? Has anyone else encountered something like this? She wants to handle it so I am not going to call Res Life. Any thoughts? Thanks so much!

@emcnalley In the housing portal it should show her room and her roommate so no, I haven’t heard anyone else having this issue… ever. My son’s shows all 3 roommates and he contacted them through the housing portal to swap info.

Does anyone have advice for dorm (Mosher) closet organization?

I’m looking at 3 different options:

1. plastic 3-drawer storage like this https://www.target.com/p/sterilite-174-3-drawer-wide-tower/-/A-51393729?preselect=50245827#lnk=sametab

2. a rod extender https://www.target.com/p/adjustable-closet-rod-extender-room-essentials-153/-/A-50373486

3. or hanging shelves https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/studio-3b-10-shelf-hanging-shoe-organizer/3266441

The laundry basket will also go in the closet, so there will only be room for one of the above. Is there anything else I should consider? Thanks for any advice!

My son used a hanging shelves thing from target like your 3rd option, it had fewer slots but they were bigger. It seemed to work well. He didn’t have any issues with storage in his room although he is a bit of a minamalist and didn’t have tons of stuff in his room.

All of those should be good. The 3 drawer can also fit under the bed. Most students loft their beds in the commons to save space.

@rosegeo did your hanging shelf have hangers rather than a rod pocket? When my son was in Mosher (2 yrs ago), the rods would not come out to accommodate the rod pocket type (first floor).

I don’t think # 2 would work because there is a shelf then the rod and it is not high enough up to allow for the second bar. Think of it as long hanging for a dress vs enough length for double hanging.

The dresser is pretty roomy. I was surprised. In the closet, we put two of these stacked on each other and a shoe rack beside it. https://www.containerstore.com/s/large-tint-stackable-storage-drawer/d?productId=11008015&q=stackable%20drawers He kept towels and sheets in it (under the sink was only room for he and his roommates toiletries.

While his desk, and dresser were under the bed, the deep bookcase was on the floor with the shallow bookcase on top of it. Then we had this for folded T shirts/pants and two bins https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40275846/ and then the refrigerator cart https://www.containerstore.com/s/platinum-elfa-mesh-compact-fridge-cart/d?productId=10017394&q=fridge%20cart with the fridge on top and that was wall to wall fit. (get it on sale).

My son is a clothes and shoe horse and he had plenty of storage.

Thanks for all the great advice, @rosegeo @AggieMomhelp @Thelma2 !

I love the refrigerator cart! My son doesn’t want to fully loft his bed (he’ll raise it enough so the dresser fits underneath), so I’ll wait to see if he has room for the cart. It looks like the perfect size!

I was out today and picked up the hanging shelves and the plastic drawers. I also got some over-the-door hooks thinking they may work on the footboard of the bed since it has horizontal slats.

He and his assigned roommate don’t seem to be communicating very much. I wish they’d do a little more planning, but I’ve decided I’ll just buy what I think he needs and save the receipts. If the roommate doesn’t want to loft his bed either, they will be short on floor space.

Thanks again!

My son’s hanging shelf did have hangers rather than the rod pocket! I didn’t even notice that in the picture.

I don’t think boys are very into communicating with their roommates, at least not like the girls are. I think mine exchanged about 5 messages before school started last year. Decided who was bringing the fridge, rug and tv and that was about it. He also just partially lofted his bed as he didn’t want it up so high and it worked out well.

@chercheur my son hasn’t communicated much with his room mate either. Normal for boys. Although mine did set up a “suite chat” I believe. He did text about fridge and got a response, so i feel encouraged. I am going receipt route as well. My son is on second floor…yours? Thanks @rosegeo and @Thelma2 for helpful tips again!

That’s such a relief to hear, @rosegeo and @zmom22 ! I would like to email his roommate’s mom just so we can introduce ourselves and to let her know we will help her son if he needs anything. Do you think that’s overstepping my bounds? My son keeps “forgetting” to ask for her email - he’s not thrilled I want to touch base with them.

Yes zmom22, he’s on the 2nd floor of Mosher, and I’m so excited for him. He’s a great kid, and I know this next year will be a time of personal growth. I know he will experience difficulties, but I’m confident he will come through it just fine and be proud of his accomplishments. I loved my college years, and I hope he does as well.

Edit: I bought the hanging shelves with hangers - thanks so much for the heads up on that!

@chercheur my honest opinion is to just let your son do the contacting. Hopefully you will meet room-mate’s parents on move in day! They will work it all out. It’s all part of the process.