TAMU 2022 parent questions and answers

Howdy future Aggie parents. I just went through being a potential Aggie mom a year ago. I remember the struggle, the impatience, the questions I had, etc. Use this forum to ask questions specifically related to TAMU and I will try to help along with the other Aggie parents that have been through this specifically. I’ve gone through it with a transfer student as well. Lots of info and details over the next few months so ask away!!! Thanks and Gig’em!

MODERATOR’S NOTE:
Any parent/student/friend/etc is welcome to answer questions as well.

Any recommendations on dining plans?

Yes, if your student is living on campus then there is a minimum plan they have to be on. I would definitely choose that and add on Aggie Bucks as the semester progresses if necessary. If they end up using it more than they thought, then you can increase next semester. HOWEVER if you know your student is going to eat full meals at Sbisa or Duncan or the Commons more often than not, then a bigger meal plan may be best. It truly depends on how they eat (full meals vs. chick fil a, smoothie king, panda, smashburger, etc.).

This is a difficult question to answer because it greatly depends on the student’s dining habits. My son hates the cafeteria meals so we got the lowest possible meal plan (around 90 if memory serves me) and 500 dining dollars. The dining dollars can roll over to the spring semester but the meal plan trades cannot. Also you have about 4 weeks into the semester to go down in meal trades if you think you bought too much but I believe around 9 weeks to go up if you would like. My son lives in White Creek, which have kitchens, so doesn’t need as many meals as student’s living in dorms would. Next semester he will be a classified sophomore in total credit hours so will not have to purchase an additional meal plan if he does not want to and will likely just use dining dollars.

@pbleigh I wish my son would cook… he’d eat cereal every night, lol!

My daughter is a Chick-Fil-A addict, and she also doesn’t eat a lot. I was thinking about the minimum plan. I’m guessing we can add on dining dollars if needed?

LOL, yes you can add on dining dollars throughtout the semester. And as pbleigh said, they actually carry over from fall to spring semester. Her recommendation is spot on. Oh there’s also a wich wich on west campus. That’s pretty yummy from what my daughter says!

My son’s favorite dining dollar spot is smashburger but there are lots of choices

@YourCollegeMom Thank you for offering to answer parent questions. I have one…

My son was accepted to TAMU for Physics. He signed up for a NSC already, but I just remembered seeing somewhere that you want to select an NSC where your college advisors are at. I’m not sure if I read it wrong or if I’m remembering it wrong, I can’t seem to find where I originally read it. When he signed up, he was offered about 8 or so dates. Do you know if each college will have an advisor there or does he have to make sure there is an advisor from the dept. of Physics & Astronomy there?

Thanks in advance!

@trish02 He needs to make sure that his major is represented at the date that he chooses. Each session of NSC is geared towards specific majors with their presentations.
Have him go back and look at his date and make sure his major is presented that day.

The department of Physics and Astronomy is in the College of Science. There are a lot of dates, Make sure it is the one that is just science, as there is geosciences, and ag and life sciences. http://newaggie.tamu.edu/freshmen/at-your-nsc/nsc-dates-freshman/

My S is class 2020. He stayed in the dorm for NSC and I in a hotel. Student can also stay in hotel. Its whatever you want to do. Make sure to make your hotel reservation as early as they will let you. Make sure you are registered as a guest, if you plan to attend. Go a day early for all of the pre-NSC activities. LOTS of photo opportunities. Try on the Aggie ring,etc. Much fun. Lots of memories.

@trish02 Congrats to your son. The NSC will be exciting and fun like Thelma2 said. Lots to do. Be sure to take advantage of everything you can. AND tell your son not to stress about registration for classes. The advisors are totally on top of it and have the first sememster pretty much mapped out by the time y’all get here. FYI, The George just opened up. IT’s right near campus on University Drive. I bet they are taking reservations since so new!!! Or the Calvary court (it’s same location, but totally different vibe).

Thank you, @Thelma2! Whew… the date he picked has Science (June 6-7). Thanks for all the input on the pre-NSC activities. We hadn’t planned on going that day, but now we will. Sounds like a great time to get some pictures!

@YourCollegeMom I’ll check out those two hotels right away! My husband didn’t plan on attending with us, but I think he might now so that he doesn’t miss out on the fun. Thanks!

@trish02 Actually pre day is probably the best! Y’all can use the rec center, take residence tours (be sure to include White Creek-it’s separate), Campus tours, and a couple of sessions for things like Greek life and corps stuff. AND there’e actually a social that evening at the Alumni Center. Day 1 is the longest and mentally tiring. Day 2 is fun because they get to register and meet with specific college! But hey, College Station has a lot to offer evening wise and it’ll give you guys a chance to get acclimated to Aggieland! Love it here.

@YourCollegeMom Awesome! My son is very interested in White Creek. He studies late, very late, at night and the idea of having his own room and bathroom appeals to him. We were thinking of the 4 bd/4bath option so he could meet some other guys. Do you have any experience with White Creek? It is a little far from where he will be having most of his classes (Mitchell bldg.), but it looks like the bus goes by often. He likes the space it offers and thinks it is worth it even if it is a little farther away.

@trish02 my niece lives there. She’s a freshman this year. It is quite the distance to Mitchell, even though both are on University Drive, but yes the pros of having your own room (small but still a room) and bathroom (decent size) is worth it. Not to mention a nice kitchen and full size fridge! She is in a 4X4 and loves the atmosphere. The buses do run regularly and he can also get a bike. Many students do this as well (just not the best if at night). Also, there are 2 libraries on west campus so if he’s studying late, he doesn’t have to go too far!

@YourCollegeMom Thank you! All of this information is making me feel so much better. :slight_smile:

Im a senior in high school and have so many questions: So Please Help!
Im a first generation college student so i have nobody to help me with the process of everything
Im in the top 9% of my class and wont take SAT until Oct 7. Will i still be able to be auto admit applying so late into the year. Seems like everybody on here already applied.
Im trying to get into nursing and honestly i have no idea how competitive it is to get in? I know Engineering seems to have already filled up but can anybody give me insight on their nursing (undergrad)?
Any insight would be helpful. Thanks in advance

@EmilyBui Hey Emily, First… breathe. You’re going to be great. I suggest you get your application/essays/letter of recs in as soon as possible. Don’t wait for SAT scores to apply. The scores will upload electronically as soon as scored and then TAMU will move you from Incomplete App to Review and then straight into Acceptance. Won’t take long. As for nursing… from what I understand you won’t apply to nursing. You’ll apply Allied Health or a major such as that. Then after you complete prereqs you can apply to TAMU nursing school. It is extremely competitive. BUT, I know someone who is a junior and doesn’t have the grades to get into TAMU nursing so is applying other places. She will however, get her Aggie ring with the rest of her class after next semester. SO… basically, you have plenty of time to stress about Nursing school later. Now… go get that app done and submitted. AND good luck on the SAT, even though you are automatic, you still want your best foot forward. You never know what it may affect.

I just checked nursing at TAMU… here are the prereqs. After 2 years you can apply to traditional BSN program. Here’s the link for the prereqs… https://nursing.tamhsc.edu/traditional/internal.html#internal-prereq

AND please come back to this thread. There are lots of mommas and students here that are willing to help!

@EmilyBui - Yes, we are here to help you!! You are in the right place and @YourCollegeMom is giving you some great advice. Try to do your very best on your SAT because it can help with scholarships. Have you reached out to your school guidance counselor? He/she may have some resources for local scholarships. Through A&M, the Regent’s Scholars Program is for first generation college students, and I think there are a few more. I’ve heard great things about the Terry Foundation Scholarship program as well. Check out: https://scholarships.tamu.edu/freshmen/Available-Scholarships#2-Top10%25ScholarshipProgram

The FASFA opens Oct.1st for next year and you’ll need to fill that out to be considered for scholarships and financial aid. Your parents will need to help you because they will ask a lot of questions on income, deductions, etc… they should have their 2016 tax forms handy when you fill it out. It seems overwhelming, but it is well worth it. Here is the link for it: https://fafsa.ed.gov

Like @YourCollegeMom said, breathe… you are doing awesome! Just get your ducks in a row as quickly as you can so that you won’t miss out on the deadlines. We are all cheering you on!!