TAMU 2022 parent questions and answers

@YourCollegeMom @trish02 Thank you both for your kind words, helpful tips and fast responses. I will definitely look into the links you have given me. I’ll update as soon as i get any new info or have anymore questions!

@EmilyBui We are pulling for you!! You are working hard and it shows. Please keep us posted and ask any questions that come up along the way.

@EmilyBui I will echo that you have come to the right place. @AGmomx2 @YourCollegeMom and @trish02 have given you great advise.

Here’s some advise from Apply Texas regarding your essay and formatting. It is best to use wordpad (notepad) to write your essays and then copy and paste them into the application. https://www.applytexas.org/adappc/html/faq_essay.html

Do well in the pre-req’s for nursing. My D (not at A&M) just changed her major to nursing from Business (honors college). Several people I know who are nurses have all told her to get her CNA and go work in the field. Having done that before clinical will make you more comfortable. The shifts are 12 hours, so most of your classes will need to be scheduled on alternate days (ex. classes MWF and work T, TH). You could get your CNA over summer. It’s 8 weeks, then take the state exam. Her CNA class is MW 6P-10P and F 6A-2P, starting in Jan. She has 2 semesters of Pre-req to complete before she can apply to nursing school. So far, she has a 3.875 but is trying to get it higher. It is very competitive for nursing school.

Best of luck to you!!!

I am a bit confused with the whole separate colleges and NSC thing. The list that someone put a link to was in reference to the 2017 summer conferences, will the 2018 one be released later? My conference is June 5th and I am in Architecture.

@AggieViz they will probably release in January. But I am not sure. I can find out though. The separation is for the 2nd day of conference. That is when you’ll meet with advisors and register.

https://newaggie.tamu.edu/freshmen/ Architecture is listed on your date - you’re good. The sessions include specific information for your major & course sign ups, that is why they have to be listed. They are divided up by college since some have smaller groups of students and only participate a few times.

@YourCollegeMom Are you familiar with the Engineering admission? My son got the “you’re admitted” letter few days ago and the major is “Engineering Review”. Does it mean he has got accepted? The AIS also told us to apply for Housing but there is not an option to register the NSC.

So from my understanding he’s accepted into Tamu but still under review for engineering. I don’t know when they send out acceptance for that. It will be a while though. Automatic admit go into holistic review with all accepted students (regardless of when accepted). I have a friend whose son was top 2% and didnt get into engineering. He had no idea that there was even a possibility that he wouldn’t get it. So he didn’t work hard on the essays or sat.

I like the process of holistic review for all students into a program, it just makes the wait longer for those automatically into tamu.

Does that help?

Yes, thanks for the information!

@LilyWu Last fall, engineering acceptances began rolling out in early November. @YourCollegeMom is correct, that auto/academic admits will receive their acceptance to the university first, and their acceptance into engineering will be a separate notification.

Last year, there were some kinks and bugs, as the whole engineering review was new for class 2021 as well as the early decision. While some who applied by the deadline, they decision was deferred until after Jan 1. Some who received the deferral email were pleasantly surprised with a decision in December.

Does your son’s AIS say anything about deferred decisions? I ask, because another applicant mentioned that their AIS said a decision was deferred for her until January and she did not receive an email about it. I have heard no one else report that their AIS stated this.

@Thelma2 His AIS says files completed by 10/15 will be reviewed and a decision notification posted here by mid December. Decisions will post in mid to late January for files completing after 10/15.

Howdy everyone! I applied to Texas A&M as a Forensics and Investigative Sciences major. I am out of state from California. I am ranked #1 in my class and have a GPA of 4.56. I go to a small school that does not offer some of the courses required for me to qualify as an academic admit, so I am in holistic review.

Do any of you know when A&M begins sending out acceptances to holistic review applicants? TAMU is my top choice and I’d like to have a good idea of when I will get my admission decision so that I have plenty of time to plan, especially since I will have to pay the deposit and NSC costs myself due to my parents’ financial situation.

Also, do you have any advice for out of state students going to A&M?

Thank You @LilyWu

@fivsmajor Wow, welcome to Texas. You are making a great choice and your academics speak for themselves. Holistic review candidates probably won’t hear until after December through February. It’s a rolling admission for holistic reviews. If your test scores are as good as your GPA and rank then you should not have an issue. However, I’m unsure how the whole not having some of the required courses go. Do you mean you don’t have the 4 eng, 4 math, etc.?

The best advice I can give as a mom and former student… get involved as soon as you can. Apply for clubs that interest you. Not just one, because most clubs are selective so you’ll want back ups. Live on campus… this is a must. The best way to meet your lifelong friends will be in your living area your first year. Don’t just hide in your room. Go to the dorm socials (free food, hello!) and join intramurals if you enjoy playing sports. There are soooo many clubs and activities to get involved in. You won’t have an issue.

Best of luck and feel free to keep asking questions. That’s why we are here!

@Thelma2

It says mid-december for me, just like @LilyWu

@YourCollegeMom my school does not offer the 4 different science courses to put me in the Academic Admit category. I took three years (Bio Honors, AP Chemistry, Anatomy & Physiology). I planned on taking a Physics class this year but my school dropped it due to the need for an additional Chemistry class ( we only have 1 physical science teacher). Anyways, I am taking two math classes (AP Calculus BC and Statistics) and a fourth year of Spanish to hopefully make up for the lack of a science. Obviously it doesn’t put me into the Academic Admit category, but I hope it will show them that I didn’t slack my senior year!

Thank you so much for the advice! I already have a list of clubs/organizations that I want to join and I definitely plan on living on campus. I seriously hope I get in to A&M; I have a few back up schools, but none of them seem to compare!

@fivsmajor

You can get a waiver if your score high enough on the SAT/ACT

http://admissions.tamu.edu/freshman/TexasUAP

EDIT

You are from California, so you are exempt anyways.

@RMNiMiTz Thank you for the information!

For the NSC - parent lodging with the student in the dorms or at White Hall is offered - recommendations to take advantage of that or would you recommend staying at a hotel off campus? Thanks in advance for any help!

@fivsmajor

What is your SAT/ACT score and sub scores?

Have you already applied and your application says in review? I did a little digging and found some information that should be on every page but it is not and it took clicking on a few links to find it. Bare with me, this is kinda long.

First, the TAMU page that describes auto and academic admit, http://admissions.tamu.edu/freshman/admitted, states for Academic Admit: Applicants qualify for automatic academic admission (but not necessarily to the major of choice), if they:

*successfully complete Texas A&M’s required coursework, and
rank in the top quarter of their graduating class on or before the application deadline, and
**meet test score minimums
Then it lists the test scores and minimum sub scores you need to have.

“Required Coursework” is a link that takes you here: http://admissions.tamu.edu/freshman/coursework
Click on “Required Coursework for Admission” and it says this:

FRESHMAN

High School Courses

It is recommended that applicants complete the most challenging and rigorous educational plan available to them during their high school career.

Required Coursework for Admission

4 years of English
4 years of Mathematics - Three of the courses must be Algebra I, II and Geometry
4 years of Science - Two courses must come from Biology I, Chemistry I or Physics I
2 years of the same foreign language
American Sign Language is acceptable and will satisfy Texas A&M graduation requirements for all Bachelor of Science degrees.
Computer Science is acceptable for admissions purposes but will not satisfy Texas A&M graduation requirements.

Students who do not meet the minimum required coursework as outlined by Texas A&M must meet the college readiness standards as defined in the State of Texas Uniform Admission Policy.

Because you do not meet the 4 years of science requirements, the “State of Texas Uniform Admission Policy” is a link. It takes you here:http://admissions.tamu.edu/freshman/TexasUAP

Read the info yourself, but I do not think the whole graduation requirements apply to you, as you are out of state. I copied this line from the link.

State of Texas Uniform Admission Policy

“If you attend an out-of-state high school or are a home schooled student, you are exempt from the Uniform Admission Policy.”

So, if you have the SAT/ACT scores for academic admit, you should be in a good position.

How do you plan on paying for college is the next hurdle. If finances are tight, you may want to schedule a NSC that crosses with dorm move/Howdy week, so you only have one plane ticket. If you can also attend Fish Camp, the last one is usually just a few days before move in. For 2017, the last fish camp session was Aug. 16-19. The last NSC was Aug. 21-22. First day of official move in was Aug. 18. You can move in anytime after that date. My son moved in 4 days after official move in his freshman year (2016).

Being out of state brings with it the out of state tuition and the out of state tuition waiver. “Undergraduate students must be awarded and maintain competitive scholarships of at least $4,000 per academic year in order to qualify for this waiver. The student must have competed with other students, including Texas residents, for the scholarship and the scholarship must be awarded by a Texas A&M University college or departmental scholarship committee or university representative.” https://scholarships.tamu.edu/Non-Resident-Tuition-Waiver

This is not easy to achieve but not impossible either. That said, for many last year competing for the waiver, they did not get their whole 4K until June, which meant they had to commit to A&M by May 1 and risked not getting the full waiver. Besides the tuition waiver, A&M is not known for being generous with full rides or much scholarship to offset tuition/board costs so make sure to apply to as many outside scholarships as possible to offset the cost of attendance.