TAMU Class of 2023 - Admission Decisions/Discussion

@AggieMomhelp Thanks for the information, I am already accepted by Engineering computer science, so LOR might help for scholarship application?

@papimama501 they seem to accept engineering holistic review candidates quicker because they then go into review for general engineering. This is the only major like this.

Iā€™m trying to get into Engineering as a review as well (hopefully my ACT went up that 1 point to be an academic admit though!) so i mean thatā€™s kind ofā€¦ i donā€™t know, discouraging since I am in the first quartile with a pretty good ACT, that I still havenā€™t even been accepted.
Good for her though!

@dyl3131 Maybe they applied earlier? Not sure. I do know admissions is doing a great job at really looking at the whole candidate and there are soooo many good candidates, like yourself. Hang in there.

If anyone applied to the Brockman Foundation Scholarship, come visit us over at the link below. Some students received emails yesterday with interview dates for next week!

http://talk.qa.collegeconfidential.com/texas-m-university/2107670-brockman-foundation-scholarship-high-school-class-of-2019-waiting-game-p1.html

@AggieMomhelp Would you recommend a LOR for A&M? I have already applied, but i want to increase my chances a little! :slight_smile:

@glowingdolphin Yes. for sure. Just upload in the AIS when you have it. Make sure itā€™s from someone that knows you well and can speak to your abilities both academically and as a person who will and does contribute to society (volunteer, service, etc).

My son applied in oct
Sat 1240 680 math reading 560
13%
Rank 100/744
Gpa 4.0
With ap course work
Major bio science
Heā€™s worried about getting in since not an auto admit
Heā€™s under review
How are his chances

Howdy @Schelle Ranking is good, but SAT is below average. Did he take ACT? These 2 things you posted are just half of what they look at. It seems this years especially, they are really looking at the whole picture based on the stats weā€™ve seen being admitted thus far for holistic review. I think thatā€™s great, but makes it harder for us on here to give anyone a good/accurate ā€œchanceā€.

So what are his ECs? Does he have a LOR? Uploaded resume? etc.? And dang thatā€™s a big graduating class!!!

Heā€™s a state qualifying gymnast all 4 years
Volunteers in coaching gymnastics to younger kids
State qualified soloist for choir

When did you apply: september 12
When did you get your UIN: september 14
When did you receive your admission decision: n/a
Are you an Auto-admit or Academic Admit or Review Admit: review
Major/College of Choice: communications/journalism
Class Rank: 99/329
GPA: 3.95 (very competitive graduating class)
ACT (with Sub Scores): 25 (10 on writing)
ECā€™s: varsity softball 4 years (elected captain senior year), english NHS, DECA, over 100 hours of community service, travel softball, yearbook (group leader 2 years), athletic club (athletes perform community service throughout our county), had a job for majority of high school
AP classes: 6
out of state student
-if anyone could let me know what my chances are of getting in/when Iā€™ll hear back from them it will be greatly appreciated! I grew up an hour outside of College Station and TAMU has been my dream school since I was a kid, the wait is killing me!

@hopefulaggie23 ECā€™s are strong, as are AP classes - which IIR correctly are not a consideration for admission. But being OOS, and second quartile (30%) of graduating class, I think the ACT score is going to be a challenge. Is there anyway you can take the ACT again and get that score up? Idk, there are so many knowledgable folks here - they may have some other suggestions . . . . .

@hopefulaggie23 My daughter (HS class of 2019) has similar ECā€™s, APā€™s and Volunteer hours as you [4-year varsity letterman pitching softball as well], strong essay, first quartile (granted by A&M from non-ranking HS), in-state, with only an ACT of 27. Weā€™re quite concerned about whether her application will be strong enough to join her older sister at A&M . . . . . fingers crossed for both of you!

double post

I applied in July but my application is still in review. I just uploaded my resume since I hadnā€™t heard anything but now Iā€™m worried I shouldnā€™t have since priority deadline ended last week. They already had everything else needed but my resume. Will that change my application from priority to regular? Did I make a mistake?

@texasstrong Are you applying for engineering?
If so, your application was submitted by Oct 15 and the supporting documents needed to be in by then as well so the LOR may not be considered. It is not unusual that review engineering applicants have not received a decision by this time. In the past, many review applicants did not receive a decision by Winter Break, even though they applied by the deadline. A&M still has to process all of the auto and academic admits first and place them into a major-be it engineering or their second choice major-before they know how many offers they can make to review applicants.

If you are not an engineering applicant, there is no early decision deadline for any major other than engineering, so yes, your LOR will be considered because it was received before the deadline for supplemental documents is Dec. 8

@Thelma2 - Iā€™m sorry I should have specified that I applied to Mays. Thank you!

Does anyone know the gpa cutoff for first quartile? Guessing itā€™s 4.0 and trying to figure out where a 3.8 falls in the second quartile.

Your class rank has more to do with the mix at your particular school whether it be directly reported rank or based on the school profile for schools that do jot rank. So no way to know by just GPA.

UPDATE 11/06/2018 (to give a reference to those applying):

When did you apply: Sep 25
When did you get your UIN: Sep 28
When did you receive your admission decision: November 6
Are you an Auto-admit or Academic Admit or Review Admit: Academic Admit
Major/College of Choice: Business Administration (Mays Business School)
Class Rank: 1st Quartile (School doesnā€™t rank)
SAT (with Sub Scores): ~1360ish did not send in SAT scores.
ACT (with Sub Scores): 31 Composite (35E. 30M, 31R, 27S, 8W) and 31 Composite (31E, 28M, 35R, 31S, 9W). I sent in both, not sure which one looked better to them.

I applied early in September but my transcript didnā€™t get there until October 11. They also didnā€™t process it or assign me a rank until around November 2. According to my school profile, I was out of the top 25%. I had an unweighted GPA of 3.67 at a pretty competitive school.

My biggest worry was getting unfavorably ranked into 2nd Quartile as per my school profile. I think that A&M does rank pretty favorably; however, it is unclear what exactly they used to rank me. I think they could have used a comparison to other previous applicants from my school.

Additionally, it seems that Mays is still open for those who have applied already and are academic admits. Iā€™m not sure about other methods though.

Good luck all to those who havenā€™t received decisions yet. Iā€™ll have you in my prayers.