TAMU Class of 2023 - Admission Decisions/Discussion

Anybody hear back about Liberal Arts or performance studies?

My son received his academic admit Nov. 28 (after a higher November SAT) but first applied to engineering October 15 for EA. I had my heart set on hearing back before the break, so Iā€™m wondering what you guys think about his chances:

When did you apply: 10/15/18
When did you get your UIN: 10/17
When did you receive your (engineering) admission decision: not yet
Auto-admit? Academic Admit? Review Admit?: academic admit
Major/College of Choice: Mech E
Did you get in: ?
Honors program: no
Class Rank: homeschooled, so assigned first quarter
ACT/SAT (with Math Subscore): 1370 (670 ebrw/700 math)

APs: Human Geography, World History, US History, US Govt., Biology, English Lang/Compā€“all 3s on exams
This year: AP Calculus AB, AP English Lit/Comp, Honors Physics
GPA: unweighted 3.98

EC: senior/varsity swim team, community cello/strings ensemble

Volunteering: community veterinarian clinic, community performance/recruitment for ensemble, providing free string instruction in underserved area of TX

I thought he had a good chance. Iā€™m wondering if getting the updated SAT after the deadline delayed things. Or maybe theyā€™re looking at applicants with at least SAT 1400+ first? Thank you for your honest input.

@momofmanyhats I think there is a decent chance so keep your hopes up high!!

My guess is that since you updated your SAT, your son is no longer an EA applicant, but Iā€™m not 100% sure so please take my word with a grain of salt.

Are they looking at applicants with at least SAT 1400+ first? My honest guess is yes because I applied around Thanksgiving with a 1400+ and was admitted to engineering about two weeks ago, but Iā€™m not 100% sure so please, again, take my word with a grain of salt.

@momofmanyhats I do not thing you have anything to worry about. Not sure if the updated score pushed him back a bit, but I truly donā€™t have a doubt that heā€™ll get full admit to Cstat. Could be Iā€™m in a positive mood or could be cause he looks really good on paper, lolā€¦ Even if he gets Blinn Academy, heā€™ll be in great shape. I have known several that go that route and kicked butt and moved into the field they wanted Sophomore year. Hoping for the best for yā€™all.

Does TAMU like high SAT scores more than high ACT scores. Iā€™ve been wondering how colleges feel about this as I only took the ACT.

@zeWestside From my understanding they do not have a preference and theyā€™ll only use what helps the student the most!

@runsince6 My daughterā€™s portal has the same info as you mentioned in your post. I guess itā€™s a system wide update.

@AggieMomhelp You mention a MS in Finance for non business majorsā€¦my sonā€™s 1st major choice was Business which was full obviously. He picked a second major which was not really at all what he wanted but put one down so as to not only list Business. Admissions told him that AgBusiness and Ag Econ are close majors to business as he is hoping to apply to Mays after a few semesters. Can you enlighten as to the Finance degree you mention?
Many thanks!

Were there any review admit business majors (getting 2nd choice major, of course) that heard about acceptance yesterday?

My sonā€™s stats (STILL under Engineering Review and trying not to get frustrated):

When did you apply: 7/4
When did you get your UIN: 9/20
When did you receive your (engineering) admission decision: STILL waiting as of 9/20
Auto-admit? Academic Admit? Review Admit?: academic admit
Major/College of Choice: Electrical & Computer Engineering
Did you get in: waiting on Engineerings review
Honors program: ???
Class Rank: 1st quarter, 3.72, 4.2 weighted
SAT: 1420 (710 Math, 710 Reading)

Eagle Scout, 140+ hours volunteer service in local community, NHS, all Aā€™s in AP Calculus, AP Physics, and AP Computer Science. Employed since beginning of summer teaching young kids coding.

@lifetraveler8 I know its tough getting deferred, but just stay hopeful because those numbers look pretty good!! :slight_smile:

@lifetraveler8 That is CRAZY! You have every right to be frustrated with those stats. There are review admits with rank in the 2nd Q and SAT scores 1,000 points less than your son that were admitted yesterday. I would call.

@batmom66 I honestly donā€™t care for the ag business or ag econ major unless you want a major in ag. Itā€™s very ag specific but yes you do take some classes in Mays.

As a sophomore, in the fall, any non finance student can apply for the masters of science in finance. You would start working on it the following summer and have access to great internships. Google MS Finance TAmu. It has tons of info. With an Econ or STEM degree and this masters you can pretty much write your own ticket.

@lifetraveler8 Those review admits were all engineering too. Theyā€™ve posted on this thread. It doesnā€™t make sense.

Hereā€™s my stats if anyone wanted to know. If anyone has questions, let me know.

In-State
When did you apply:11/22
When did you get your UIN:11/27
When did you receive your admission decision:11/29 for A&M and 12/7 for Engineering
Are you an Auto-admit or Academic Admit or Review Admit:Auto-admit for A&M but review for Engineering
Major/College of Choice:Computer Science
Did you get in: Yes
Class Rank:56/876
SAT (with Sub Scores) 1490-EBRW:690 and Math:800
ACT (with Sub Scores) didnā€™t take

@Dbro and @Parents98 Can you please provide the SAT Sub Scores for your students?

@runsince6 @laxmom2000
For stats, can you tell me your studentā€™s major, SAT subscores, and what date applied (approx if you donā€™t know exactly)?

@AggieMomhelp I couldnā€™t refrain from keeping stats again 8-}

@AggieMomhelp Thank you! What has your son stated as his major prior to applying for MS Finance?

@agclassof95mom My sonā€™s 1st choice was Business and he was accepted to his second choice major on Thursday. He was a review applicant.

@jojogirl Could you please, for stats purposes for next year, provide your Dā€™s ACT sub scores?
Also, please be sure to post her admission decision when she gets it