TAMU Class of 2023 - Admission Decisions/Discussion

@sportingclaymom
For stat keeping, could you please provide me with your son’s major and SAT sub scores and if he submitted ACT, those sub scores as well?
I am partial to wrestlers (I have a top 3 state placer and was booster president 2 years and we held district & regions at our school)

@Thelma2

SAT 1270 (650 Math 620 English) - he had a higher math score on a different test date but this was his highest overall but I know we sent them all to A&M. Hope this helps with you accumulation of stats.

Good luck to all those still waiting!

For Stats: I am playing catch up from the beginning and trying to fill in blanks by looking at all the past posts. If anyone has the time, pm me you students stats, with date applied, major, all scores submitted (SAT and ACT) with sub scores, and if you have received an admission decision and the date. Also, in state or OOS, or International and EC[s or classes/activities associated with major, leadership, awards, honors, etc.
Til then, I’ll be tagging you for info as I come across your user name. I work on them in spurts so if I don’t get to you soon, I hope to soon, but pm’ing me will speed along the process.

@papimama501 @GermanMama
Can you give me your student’s major and ACT sub scores?

@AggieDreamin @KWAGGIE
Date you applied and SAT sub scores

@eTown23 Don’t give up hope for full admission. Your son has great stats and full admissions still come out in January. February is where we have seen the pathways of Galveston (which is considered full admission) and the engineering academies.

@batmom66 he’s Econ and loves it. Says it’s very versatile. He wants to do asset mgmt/investments. Anyone we have talked to says Econ will get you as prepared as bs in finance will if not more. And a liberal arts degree makes students well rounded and do better on graduate and law school entrance exams. AND the ms finance starting as a sophomore gets you 2-3 internships with major companies in Texas and nyc. Placement is high.

@thelma2 do not have access to my computer until Sunday night but recall it being around 10/24. SAT 1280 (650 Math, 630 EW)

@Thelma2 his first major of choice was Mays but second is Economics. Composite is 30 - 29 English, 25 Math, 32 Science, 34 Reading. He’s currently taking Calculus and Physics with strong grades in both. He’s in state with no decision - applied 7/2.

@CaliMck15 Can you supply your students complete stats, including app date, scores with sub scores, major etc?

@go4gift I don’t know if BIMS fills but memory tells me that it seems to be a major that is slow and there always seems to be folks waiting on it.

Thelma, how best to PM you?

A new entry for you

Application deferred until January
Applied EA 10/15 Engineering (nuclear, electrical)
In state
Probably doesn’t check any diversity boxes
SAT 1500 780 math and 720 Verbal
Has taken 10 AP classes including Physics I and II and Chemistry
School doesn’t rank but listed as second quartile on profile
National Merit Commended
Award for project planning for ACE Mentorship (Architecture, Construction, Engineering)
Sports participation - various team accomplishments
Music participation - various performances and ensemble by try out participation
Work as soccer referee
Volunteer for state parks

@Thelma2 Unfortunately I haven’t been admitted to CS yet- I am still “under review”. I also applied to TAMUG - I have been accepted there- therefore I already have all the tabs so I won’t have any precursors to let me know prior to an official email. I applied 10/2 - got a 1210 on my SAT and am just outside of the top 10% of my class. Lots of EC’s, community service, and 2 great LOR’s 24 dual/AP hours hopefully another 8 if I can get 4’s on my end of year AP test. Starting to lose hope for CS full admission.

Too many hours for Blinn Team at this point

Does anybody have any idea why people applying to BIMS have to wait longer for decisions? Is it a little bit more selective?

@luckyaggie I think the reason behind the delay is because of the McAllen Health Science center. They are pooling together all the applicants applying for that major and will decide who goes where. Unfortunately I don’t think anyone who applied directly to TAMU CSTAT wanted McAllen. Sigh. Also as an FYI cost to go to McAllen is higher than CSTAT. ?

@JaceyK how did you hear about kids being sent to McAllen? This isn’t really a viable option given the distance and increase in costs. I’m not 100% sure about my major anyway. This is very worrisome- wondering if it’s too late to change to my second choice major? This is very stressful

@luckyaggie I don’t know that there is a reason why, it just always seems that way, though JaceyK makes a good point,

@JaceyK I was just looking at that today. I read an article that said the cost would be the same as College Station, as it is a branch campus of A&M but when I saw the cost of attendance, tutiion for McAllen ws $1600 more. When I looked further into it, the tuition for A&M says it is based on 15 credit hours per semester. When you look at McAllen, it is based on 15 credit hours as an engineering student.
Classes at A&M can cost different per credit hour depending on the major and I think that is where the discrepancy comes in.https://financialaid.tamu.edu/Undergraduate/Cost-of-Attendance#0-McAllenUndergraduate

I can’t find where McAllen Higher Education Center has on campus dorm housing and guessing that it is mostly off campus right now. A quick look on zillow and Trulia show housing costs quite lower than College Station.

@jaceyk @luckyaggie maybe for some kids McAllen will be a preference. I was looking at it and it is totally focused on health vs being in the Vet school which is really nice and might offer some good research opportunities not available in CStat. For my DD, all of her friends are heading to CStat and she wants to rush a sorority so CStat is ideal. But for some where they are solely academically focused McAllen might be a better choice. Guess we will see how it shakes out next year.

@KWAGGIE major (except for engineering) will not hurt your chances at acceptance. First you’re admitted to Tamu then major or 2nd major. And if those don’t work, they ask you for a 3rd option. Don’t stress. It’ll be fine.

When did you apply: Mid-October
When did you get your UIN: Early November (?)
When did you receive your admission decision: Nov. 21
Are you an Auto-admit or Academic Admit or Review Admit: Academic
Major/College of Choice: Electrical Engineering
Class Rank: top 10%
SAT (with Sub Scores): 1530 (790 Math, 740 Eng) Super-score 1540, 800 math on previous try
ACT (with Sub Scores): N/A

Should I be worried if I haven’t heard back yet, being a review admit who submitted in July?