Tamu engineering major change

<p>I plan to attend TAMU next year and am signed up for biomedical engineering, but after my senior year in high school having AP CAL & D.C Bio i seemed to prefer AP Cal more. I am looking to tranfer next year and have 3 preliminary options. </p>

<ol>
<li><p>Aerospace </p></li>
<li><p>Mechanical then Aerospace (M.S.) </p></li>
<li><p>Chemical </p></li>
</ol>

<p>Now, I am just looking at options. My strenghts lie mostly in math & physics, but I did enjoy/ do well in my AP Chem class junior year. The teacher was a former chem engr and the class was very difficult, but i managed to maintain A's every six weeks, and like the curriculum. My question with Aerospace is that i have seen in many forums that it is in delcine and that a better path to it is via Mechanical Engineering. The problem is that A&M says that their Mech E dept is "enrollment constrained" and that "very few" people are allowed to transfer in. That worries me. bc what happens if i try to transfer and dont make it. I dont want to be stuck in bmen. Any help? </p>

<p>P.S. also if someone could give a description of the type of work each one may do (in the real work field) it would help. </p>

<p>Thanks!</p>

<p>Eagles - I wouldn’t worry about planning a transfer just yet. For one thing, BioE is a very broad field and you can do mechanical things, chemical things, electrical things, materials, etc. Within BioE, you can focus on some aspect that interests you the most, and in which you do well. This wouldn’t necessarily be the case with EE vs. MechE vs. ChemE, for example.</p>

<p>Second, your freshman grades are what really matter. You actually have to reach a certain GPA, in the common body of knowledge, in order to take sophomore-level classes in any of the engineering majors. That GPA threshold has been higher in BioE. If your GPA is high enough, transfers have been allowed into MechE.</p>

<p>Third, it’s really hard to predict which engineering field is best from high school classes. The differences are just too great between high school and college.</p>

<p>Good luck to you.</p>

<p>ME is a good option based on what we have seen because of the many types of work to which it applies. Older child majored in Mechanical Engineering at UT and now works in a job that is very applicable to Petroleum as well, but she received offers from companies also that typically are associated with other engineering majors… Point here is why she chose ME to begin with, because she had heard that there would be a wide range of job opportunities, which has turned out to be true in her experience of interviewing during fall of 2011 and subsequent offers.
Main thing is to keep your gpa high enough that you are more likely to be allowed to transfer to which type of engineering that you prefer. Even by 2nd year, some of the courses you take will start being more specific toward your particular type of engineering, so try to talk to several older students in each field you’re considering during the first year (you don’t want to waste time & money taking classes that you don’t need and delaying ones you will ultimately be required to take for the major you transfer to).</p>

<p>That is why DD selected Mech E as well…versatility. And she got advice from several recent and successful graduates working in jobs that were attractive to her.</p>